'06 91K Gen 4 Taurus Rear Suspension Question

Hey Folks,

Going over speed bumps (and not speeding, mind you) I can hear the struts on all four corners compressing (a mild wheeze) and a rather louder ''Ker-Chunk!" from the left rear. Otherwise, Big Blue rides smoothly and silently on highway and street, steers straight, no vibrations or wandering. Just this big 'Ker-Chunk!' over speed bumps.  Should I have this looked at?

Thanks,

bergreneric

'

Jack that wheel up off the ground and try moving it by hand to check for any play. While you're there you can inspect the spring for a break and also get a look at the strut mount.

Hey Folks,

Going over speed bumps (and not speeding, mind you) I can hear the struts on all four corners compressing (a mild wheeze) and a rather louder ''Ker-Chunk!" from the left rear. Otherwise, Big Blue rides smoothly and silently on highway and street, steers straight, no vibrations or wandering. Just this big 'Ker-Chunk!' over speed bumps.  Should I have this looked at?

Thanks,

bergreneric

'

Pic not mine but reason for checking springs for broken. They break on the bottom about 2/3rd around the bottom coil. That is the first break with the second like the pic.

You can feel the fronts without lifting the car, just reach over the front tire and run your finger around the bottom coil.

Yes, I have had 2 sables break front springs. Caught them in time to prevent disaster.

-chart-

post-1834-0-28221800-1445568821_thumb.jp

Mine makes a similar noise from the same corner.

In my case I'm 99% sure that the flange nut on the top of the strut backed out a little after I installed my cargo coil rear springs

and the strut can walk a little in the mount under the right circumstances.

Just something to check!