Tach Wackiness, Bucking At Stoplights

Recently purchased a 2000 Mercury Sable LS Premium Wagon 143K.  Did the following to get it roadworthy:  Cosmetic stuff, Rear brakes, front ball joints, inner/outer tie rods, alignment, replaced PS pulley, water pump, S-Belt, spark plugs, intake manifold gasket, PCV valve, several coils, AC Compressor/liquid line/orifice tube/condenser. Today, at Bull Geeks suggestion, today I replaced the crankshaft position sensor in reaction to the car not starting after a short ride on a blazing hot day. 

The car cranked up perfectly after the installation.  Purred like a kitten.  But when I revved the motor, two out of three times it acted like it was missing, stumbling it's way up to 3K.  One of three times, though, it was perfectly smooth.

I drove to the auto parts store (about a mile).  The ride was uneventful.  When I put the car in park, I noticed the tach dropped to 0, alhough the motor was still running smoothly.  Somrtimes it would hang at 150 RPM.  When I revved it, the tach would stick at zero for about half a second, then leap up to five hundred,then leap up to 1K, then ride up smoothly to 2K.  The tach was very clearly not shwoing what the engine was doing.

A few days before all of this, I was sitting at a light, when the car suddenly began bucking with the engine revving (I had my foot on the brake. It bucked about four times before I shifted to neutral and the bucking stopped.  Shifting back to drive showed nothing unusual.  It acted normally again.  What!?!

Any ideas would be welcome. 

While I've never experienced this first hand, I've read many threads about failed transmission range sensor causing all kinds of strange, seemingly unrelated issues.

I would start by checking all grounds and main electrical connections.

Perhaps that sensor isn't 100% perfect?

• 4 weeks later...

The tach is still acting weird, but the stumbling/missing is resolved. 

Replaced the entire intake manifold.  There was hissing from the rear of the engine compartment and the Scotty Kilmer smoke test reveled leakage.  I could not verify exactly where the leak was, but confirmed it was not coming from the vacuum hoses.

After the new manifold was replaced, she purred like a kitten and roared like a ...well, Sable.  But the new (junkyard) manifold did the trick.

The tach still acts strangely sometimes, but it does not seem to affect anything at all.

• 4 weeks later...

i know this is an older thread sorry.

when the tach is acting up, smack the dashboard above it a few times, if it fixes, its your cluster.  mine does it all the time, gets worse over time.