M109Dreamer

Battery Light On And Off....thoughts?

Ok, this has happened twice so far, about a month in between times.

It happened both times about the same distance. Car starts and runs fine. No signs of performance decline. About a mile down the road after start up the battery light would come on and stay on for about a mile then go off. It doesnt come back on after it goes out.

I have been to O'Rielly's twice to have the electrical, altenator, battery tested and both times everything checked out ok. No CEL. So before I dig out the multimeter and testing the battery & altenator I thought I would ask here in what I should look for and everyones thought. Battery is a year old altenator is original. Taurus is a 03 LX OHV with 120k on the odo.

Im leaning towards the altenator. From what I have read it seems the brushes wear out on the OEM altenator. Thoughts?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Ok, this has happened twice so far, about a month in between times.

It happened both times about the same distance. Car starts and runs fine. No signs of performance decline. About a mile down the road after start up the battery light would come on and stay on for about a mile then go off. It doesnt come back on after it goes out.

I have been to O'Rielly's twice to have the electrical, altenator, battery tested and both times everything checked out ok. No CEL. So before I dig out the multimeter and testing the battery & altenator I thought I would ask here in what I should look for and everyones thought. Battery is a year old altenator is original. Taurus is a 03 LX OHV with 120k on the odo.

Im leaning towards the altenator. From what I have read it seems the brushes wear out on the OEM altenator. Thoughts?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

You would do well to put a volt meter on the car and watch while driving. I use the power port (cig lighter) as a source. Volts should be steady over 14.0 when first started and hold around 13.8 at speed. If the light comes on and volts are OK it is not necessarily the ALT loosing power. On your year the regulator send a signal to the PCM which lights the light. Different from '01 and earlier.

-chart-