Sign in to follow this  
GreenMachine

No Forward Gear, Very Little Reverse.

So, as stated before,  I was able to fix the vacuum leak on the Sable, which I thought was the cause for the thread topic.

But now, I put car in gear, but no forward motion at all. I dont even get the "THUNK!" you get when you shift into D or 1 or 2. Engine races and that's all she does.

But, put it into reverse, it does thunk a little, and it will go, albeit verrrry slow.

Since I can't drive in reverse everywhere...even in the Northeast...I am hoping it's not a sign of transmission doom  :o(

Transmission oil is topped off, color looks okay.

So from what I can find, it could be the VSS, TPS or the transmission. Trying not to play "change the part, bring it back" game...its a LONG walk to Autozone. LOL

Anyone experience this or a fix?

1. Did you look to see if your trans dipstick is all the way pushed IN when you check the fluid level?

I found out the hard way that my 2004 Taurus' trans fluid dipstick can be pushed back into it's tube incorrectly, getting caught on the tube about an inch short of being seated correctly.....your problem sounds like it is low on fluid.

2. Are you checking the fluid level with the engine and trans up to operating temperature and in PARK?

Let me know... 

Sounds like a valve body issue. My first guess would be the forward clutch piston. If it failed you won't have any forward gears. Next guess would be the pump shaft. Insufficient or non-existent fluid flow will prevent the clutches from operating as they need a certain pressure to function. The cheapest thing would be the TRS (transmission range sensor, also called neutral safety switch.) I would start with that one but I really think your transmission valve body needs a rebuild. Please note that rebuilding the valve body does not entail rebuilding the entire transmission!

1. Did you look to see if your trans dipstick is all the way pushed IN when you check the fluid level?

I found out the hard way that my 2004 Taurus' trans fluid dipstick can be pushed back into it's tube incorrectly, getting caught on the tube about an inch short of being seated correctly.....your problem sounds like it is low on fluid.

2. Are you checking the fluid level with the engine and trans up to operating temperature and in PARK?

Let me know... 

Nope, stick is firmly in the tubing bottomed out and check within normal temps.

Sounds like a valve body issue. My first guess would be the forward clutch piston. If it failed you won't have any forward gears. Next guess would be the pump shaft. Insufficient or non-existent fluid flow will prevent the clutches from operating as they need a certain pressure to function. The cheapest thing would be the TRS (transmission range sensor, also called neutral safety switch.) I would start with that one but I really think your transmission valve body needs a rebuild. Please note that rebuilding the valve body does not entail rebuilding the entire transmission!

Okay, that gives me a place to start...Would these able to be diagnosed by a general mechanic or should I bite the bullet and go to a Transmission shop?

Trying to avoid place like AMMCO, because if its just a sensor I got the feeling they'll "sell" me a rebuilt transmission as a fix...

As far as a TRS, is that something I can change/repair myself?

I'm good and VERY thankful for Youtube vids...lol...but I'm no diehard mechanic...I'm better installing electronics inside the cab...lol

I knew if I waited long enough I would find out what the possible problem was with my car.I have a 99 Taurus SHO with the same transmission and exact same problem. I thought the trans was shot so I bought a complete motor and trans but have never got around to installing it.Now I think I may try swapping valve body and see if it fixes it.Would be nice if it did the car has been sitting for a little over a year and I kinda miss driving it.

I just had this happen to me today, I will be looking for any possible solutions that come up. Hope its not to damaging to the wallet. 187000 miles just doesn't seem like enough. going to try the cheep fix first. thanks all.

Could be the pump drive spline stripped. Fluid level should be very high with engine off, and lower(normal) with engine idling in park.