I Got This Code Today, I'm Assuming It's Saying I Need A New Converter

I reset it, and it hasn't returned. What is "Bank 2" is that the rear big catalyst?  Any info appreciated.  

post-3977-0-46211300-1434782395_thumb.pn

Bank 2 is cylinders 4, 5 and 6 on the radiator side. A below threshold code means the catalyst isn't operating within a specified range. Typically this means either an exhaust leak, bad sensor or bad cat. The cat in question (and sensors) is right by the oil filter. The big cat after the y-pipe is the "third cat" and is not monitored.

My guess would be one or both of your bank 2 O2 sensors are bad. You could do a voltage test to see if they are operating correctly (or if you have monitoring software that shows the O2 sensor voltages that would work too.) Start with the sensor after the cat as that is the one causing the code. While your under there you could check for leaks as well. If there are no leaks and the sensors pass the voltage test then it would be a faulty catalyst.

• Like 1

Thanks for the response. If it were a bad O2 sensor shouldn't it repeatedly throw the code? I'm just going by past experience, when one goes bad it gone and there is a code for it. Anyway, I'll look into it. Thanks again.

Thanks for the response. If it were a bad O2 sensor shouldn't it repeatedly throw the code? I'm just going by past experience, when one goes bad it gone and there is a code for it. Anyway, I'll look into it. Thanks again.

They can and do get lazy. Been there.

Or just old, like me.

-chart-

Work from cheapest to most expensive to fix.

I would run a little bit of seafoam or similar through it, with the front of the car up on ramps/jack stands. See if it is coming out where it shouldn't be. if that happens, it is a leak.

If that doesn't do it, i would then procede to check the sensors, if they have issues...replace them, if not... you have to move onto bad cats.

I would run a little bit of seafoam or similar through it, with the front of the car up on ramps/jack stands. See if it is coming out where it shouldn't be. if that happens, it is a leak.

If that doesn't do it, i would then procede to check the sensors, if they have issues...replace them, if not... you have to move onto bad cats.

Pic of data from sensor 2 = after the cats.

Top chart is showing bank 1 sensor not dead but not working, showing a code.

Below chart after replace of the sensor with new one.

Of interest, when one bank fails to do what is expected, the other bank gives up and just holds.

The S2 monitors the performance of the cat. If the monitor is not doing it's job the code is shown.

Chart time is in seconds. Data by CarChip, charts by -chart- XL office 1997.

-chart-

Thanks for all the replies. The code hasn't returned so I'm just gonna keep an eye on it.  

Swap the bank 1 downstream with bank 2 downstream sensor. If the same code returns, you've diagnosed a failing converter. If the code changes to indicate the other bank, you've diagnosed a bad sensor. Cost $0.

• Like 2

I just had to deal with a exhaust leak, and then a failing left bank of sensors on my t-bird. Once in a while i get a bank 1 bank 2 lean, i am just replacing the MAF on it. Not taking any chances. One of the left bank sensors had the wire broken off.

Edited by steveg1988