Sign in to follow this  
GreenMachine

Starter Issue Old & New

Good Morning All:

So, my 99 Sable will no longer start since saturday. The starter did do this before, but after sitting for about a hour or so, with a few hits with a hammer, started back up for about a week or so of driving, then SPLAT!, dead as doornail.

Too late to order from Ebay, so i go to Advance Auto (Order online code A124) got me a Tough1 replacement unit. Wont even go into how much a PITA it was to remove the old one (Suffice to say, a good angle wrench w/short breaker bar doesnt hurt, and removing the battery tray will allow in more light, along with the splash guard. Few hours later I got the new one mounted.

Now, with the old motor, even when not starting, it usally just "clicked" as the tried to engage. Now I dont even get a "click". The electrical system is on (light, radio, headlights) but the damn car wont turn over!. There were only TWO wires in the back of the OLD solinoid and placed everything back as is, WTF?

The only options I can think of is either i got a bum "new" starter (^#*!!) or im wiring it wrong...or worse.

Anyone that can help? I cant afford mechanic, thats why its DIY day here...:o(... any insight, tips, hard earned knowledge today would be GREATLY appreciated.

Dohc or Vulcan?

Good Morning All:

So, my 99 Sable will no longer start since saturday. The starter did do this before, but after sitting for about a hour or so, with a few hits with a hammer, started back up for about a week or so of driving, then SPLAT!, dead as doornail.

Too late to order from Ebay, so i go to Advance Auto (Order online code A124) got me a Tough1 replacement unit. Wont even go into how much a PITA it was to remove the old one (Suffice to say, a good angle wrench w/short breaker bar doesnt hurt, and removing the battery tray will allow in more light, along with the splash guard. Few hours later I got the new one mounted.

Now, with the old motor, even when not starting, it usally just "clicked" as the tried to engage. Now I dont even get a "click". The electrical system is on (light, radio, headlights) but the damn car wont turn over!. There were only TWO wires in the back of the OLD solinoid and placed everything back as is, WTF?

The only options I can think of is either i got a bum "new" starter (^#*!!) or im wiring it wrong...or worse.

Anyone that can help? I cant afford mechanic, thats why its DIY day here... :o(... any insight, tips, hard earned knowledge today would be GREATLY appreciated.

Elect has two bolts on the solenoid, one larger and that goes to the battery, one smaller and it is the power to pull in the solenoid.

Also the ground wire from the battery goes to the double nut on one of the mounting bolts.

You can hot wire from bat + to the small terminal on the starter and it should test the starter.

If the starter kicks with hotwire and not the key, likely have blown a fuse.

'96-99 years different from '00 and later, but they have similar connections.

-chart-

Elect has two bolts on the solenoid, one larger and that goes to the battery, one smaller and it is the power to pull in the solenoid.

Also the ground wire from the battery goes to the double nut on one of the mounting bolts.

You can hot wire from bat + to the small terminal on the starter and it should test the starter.

If the starter kicks with hotwire and not the key, likely have blown a fuse.

'96-99 years different from '00 and later, but they have similar connections.

-chart-

Only saw to wire....Red one from POS terminal with a thickish black shoe on it, bolted that to the lower left nut. Then a white wire that went to the top nut that I had crimped together with the black wire that came with the new starter (looking back may have been better to have swapped that one with the starter). Did not see a ground wire.

Any pics? I will try to throw a few up so ya'll can see what i do....

Sigh, had to take day off...$100 to make up for.

Edited by GreenMachine

Only saw to wire....Red one from POS terminal with a thickish black shoe on it, bolted that to the lower left nut. Then a white wire that went to the top nut that I had crimped together with the black wire that came with the new starter (looking back may have been better to have swapped that one with the starter). Did not see a ground wire.

Any pics? I will try to throw a few up so ya'll can see what i do....

Sigh, had to take day off...$100 to make up for.

The ground wire goes from the Battery "-" terminal directly to the starter mounting bolt.

-chart-

The ground wire goes from the Battery "-" terminal directly to the starter mounting bolt.

-chart-

Never mind Chart...I got my shame face on...LOL

The ground wire to the top bolt (I THOUGHT I removed 3, but I got wrapped up in the starter I had orginally got was probably for the Vulcan, or for another type altogether. Suffice to say, a quick RT got me the right type, and the ground wire slipped back under the PVC loom.

But a little extra poking around turned it up. Starts up GREAT now, if anything I have to be shorter on the key. But since I got this one done, next is the changing the plugs and wires, the "newer" power might fry the plugs, and Im under there anyway...

Thanks again folks!...SO far My Sables got 300k on it, I want to try to make it to 400k if possible, So i can save up for ...umm maybe another? Or a Truck...lol