Sign in to follow this  
breeves002

A/c Issues

ALRIGHTY FOLKS! HERE GOES!

Driving home from Texas last week, my A/C fan slowly is blowing less and less air. I manually put fan on full blast - continues to blow less and less air. Figured evaporator had frozen so I turned the compressor off for about an hour and back on and the AC worked fine the rest of the trip home. So obviously it was a frozen evaporator. Checked data in FORScan, the evaporator temp and blend doors seemed to be working just fine. Loud hissing noise from the dash when this happened and after it happened. Almost constant. The noise of moving refrigerant.

About a week later (ac has been working fine), I start to notice the left side is much warmer then the right side. Right side is nice and cold like it should be but the left side isn't cold at all. Goes to full hot but won't go full cold. I recalibrate the motor, same issue. Replace the motor, same issue - although at this point, I'm not 100% sure if the AC was working at all.

Go to yesterday. AC stopped working completely. Evaporator temp sensor *MAY* be bad. There is a TSB on it - may be why the evap froze. Ambient temperature today is 70F. AC is on, compressor is audibly running and hissing noise in dash continues. Evaporator is reading 80F. Compressor off fan on full blast it still reads 80F even though the ambient temperature is 70F. Thats a large increase! Vent temperature was about on par with the EVAP temp sensor.

High pressure line PID was at 96PSI. I did not have the chance to put real low and high pressure gauges on the car yet.

Any clues to what random series of events could have caused this? Its just so weird to me. Ideas for diagnostics? Thanks.

No one had anything to offer but I'll tell you my findings anyways...

Measured low pressure and found it at about 5PSI. NO clue why the compressor was even trying to run still. Anyways added a 12oz can of r134a to get it up to 25psi. Vent temps are now equally cold and the system is very cold. High pressure back up to around 160PSI.

I'm guessing the evaporator couldn't get rid of the heat so it went into the left side vent for some reason. Weird but hey, whatever works... I'm just happy I know its something as *simple* as a leak. Need to find the damn leak though. No clue where it is since I haven't seen any refrigerant oil anywhere.

Get some A/C dye and a black light if you really wanna find it. I think your pressures are still a little low...What were the temps outside when you looked at the pressures?

The max low pressure on the gen 5 should be 38-40 psi.  The compressor will kick out if you try to put any more than 40 psi in the system.  I know this for fact.....

Jeff

70f. Yes still low. Should be up to 30-40PSI. Jeff, I'm surprised it didn't kick off when it was down to less then 10 PSI! I have it up to 32PSI now and its working perfectly.

I would think it wouldn't have kicked in, but then again....it doesn't take much of a charge to get the compressor cycling.  I hope it turns out to be a simple fix!  You could always run some SuperSeal through it.....that's not a professional fix, but I have heard people have really good luck using it.  Just don't hold me accountable if you have less than desired results....I have no real knowledge of how well it does or does not work as I've never used it personally.

Jeff