AntDeek

Any Vulcan Performance Mods?

I understand the Vulcan is very limited upgrades wise, but would a K&N filter boost HP at all?

My dads on a business trip to Ford HQ, so I drove his 2014 Edge this week. Damn the Duratec 35 FLIES!!!!!! Very impressed. Makes my Taurus feel like a turtle!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You drive a reliable turtle, just accept it :)

• Like 1

You're stuck with 6 gerbils under the hood. Sorry bud, not much to do there. You think that 288hp beast is good in an edge, try it in a lighter vehicle.

You drive a reliable turtle, just accept it :)

At the end of the day, this seems like it matters most! Shame its bolted to a paper and duct tape tranny. :/

You're stuck with 6 gerbils under the hood. Sorry bud, not much to do there. You think that 288hp beast is good in an edge, try it in a lighter vehicle.

I can only imagine it in your Sable  :icon_mrgreen:  :icon_mrgreen:

If you want power, swap to a Duratec, and accept it's power, but accept the faults it will have in return. Vulcan does what it has to do, Duratec leaks oil on pre-04's, and alternator swaps are a pain, but after 3000 RPM... Hold in to your butts. Swapping your AX*N out with a 5 speed will help though 

• Like 1

Mines only 263hp but with the tune and some other goodies it really does pull like a beast for a 2 ton car.

If you want power, swap to a Duratec, and accept it's power, but accept the faults it will have in return. Vulcan does what it has to do, Duratec leaks oil on pre-04's, and alternator swaps are a pain, but after 3000 RPM... Hold in to your butts. Swapping your AX*N out with a 5 speed will help though

Fine I have 3 Duratecs but for 'moving out', I'll stay with my Intech. 50% more cubes make for TORQUE at just above idle.

It just does it with such ease all across the rpm.

Above 3K the Duratec is maybe similar. Maybe 3.5K.

-chart-

-chart-

Check with the Ranger guys as they do a lot with their Vulcan.

After looking at what the Ranger guys come up with I'm not willing to spend $5k on this car ahahahah

when I had my 94, i had a K&N, a custom ram air intake tube my uncle made, NGK wires and iridium autolite plugs, and no muffler. didnt seem different, but it sounded cooler when you gave her the nuts. 

I do hafta agree with the other folks though, not much you can do to these. what they lack in power they make up for in reliability. sure mine didnt go 110, but it could hold 75-80 for a few hours no problem.

even with rod knock (looks at Vash and smiles)

$had3 :ford::merc::Shady_J:

Lol is it common for Vulcans to lose their ability to hit 110 as they age? Mine at 63k hits the 110 governor no problem. Kinda wish the fuel pump didn't shut off at that speed though :D

No it's not a problem with age.

I was hoping my dad was inspired at his meeting in Ford HQ this week and stayed a bit longer, I'm back in the Taurus!!

After looking at what the Ranger guys come up with I'm not willing to spend $5k on this car ahahahah

I am not sure what you were expecting to pay for upgrades.

There is also Morana Racing: http://www.moranav6racing.com/

We do offer a UDP that you will see gains with: http://www.shosource.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=61_43_49&products_id=115

Ooooooh I like that under drive pulley

Would a K&N air filter yield anything

Please don't kill me over this question :) I'm still learning lol why couldn't I buy this http://m.ebay.com/itm/170717412795?nav=SEARCHand use rubber tubing to connect it to the throttle body, and then to the air box?

Would a K&N air filter yield anything

A K&N filter would, perhaps, "breathe" better than other filters, allowing the engine to "breathe" more, but I doubt you wouldn't notice any significant improvement over a standard other brand name filter.

Gotcha thanks. Still curious about that turbo though attached to the intake throttle body

The problem with a turbo is that an aftermarket "generic" bolt-on turbo won't necessarily work as well as one designed specifically for your engine. If it does work well and adds significant extra boost, there's no guarantee that your trans will stand up to the extra power. Do you have the AX4S or AX4N transmission? You might be able to get by with a bolt-on turbo if you have the AX4N, but if I had an AX4S I would be concerned about wrecking the trans.

It's an AX4S :/ Am I correct in assuming that the turbo would bolt in front of the throttle body in between the body and the air box?

Would the difference really he THAT big?

Edited by AntDeek

If I had an AX4S and I wanted to boost more power I would certainly be hesitant to do so, and if I were insistent on adding more oomph, I would absolutely add a transmission cooler too.

Most bolt-on turbos (that I've seen, anyway) bolt on after the air intake filter and throttle body, yes. "One size fits all" turbos aren't as effective as turbos designed for a specific engine, or so I've heard, anyway. How much boost you gain from a "generic" turbo depends on which brand you buy, I would think. I doubt that the boost would be more than a couple PSI.

A  "real" turbocharger uses the engines exhaust gases to compress the incoming intake air.  Adding a turbo to a NA engine isn't plug and play in the slightest.

You might want to read up on how turbochargers work to better understand why adding one to any normal NA engine is a fairy tale, or a several thousand dollar endeavor.

Here is a pretty clean look at how a turbo charger is plumbed.  This is on a 7.3L Powerstroke. Following the intake tube to a white circle at the back of the engine, that is the turbo, from there it then directs the "charged air to the front of the truck though one of the metal tubes to the intercooler, where the air is cooled down to increase the airs density.  Then it comes back in the other metal tube to the intake spider on the top of the motor, from there it is pushed into the intake manifold. The part you don't see are the exhaust "up pipes" that direct the exhaust gas to the back side of the turbo.  You can just see the back half of the turbo in this picture, its brown, nestled under the cowl.

Also no "real" turbo cannot be had for $150, a Garrett GTP38R which is basically what is on this 7.3L costs around $1500.  What you posted is what most of us would consider "ricer tech".

10148361_895416453817234_686301394_o_zps

A K&N panel filter will not yield any noticeable gain in power. I have one and it just makes the intake louder. You might see a difference with a cone filter and new intake plumbing however this would require a tune (the tune is where any power would come from) in order to work properly. A good tune isn't cheap either.

I really wouldn't bother with a turbo or any sort of forced induction. There was a member on the Other Site™ that tried adding a turbo to his Vulcan. If I remember correctly he ended up spending somewhere around $10,000 before giving up and selling the turbo because it kept blowing his head gaskets. These engines weren't designed for forced induction and require a lot of work to get any setup working reliably.

There really isn't much you can do to boost the Vulcan's output. The best you could probably do that isn't super expensive is swap your aluminum upper intake for a composite intake from an '01-03 engine (you will need to mess with your EGR and PCV) and add a 60mm throttle body (might require a tune.) A good port and polish would make for a noticeable difference but this is more difficult and time consuming. If you really wanted to go all Frankenstein you could swap to an '04-07 composite intake which is a 2 stage intake kinda similar to Duratecs and SHO's. It would definitely require a tune to work right and you would need to somehow create a trigger to open the IMRC around 4000 rpm but it would expand your power band a lot. Just some crazy ideas.

Gotcha. It was just an idea I was toying around with in my head. I might consider it as a summer project to just buy the cheap turbo and just see what I can make happen bolting it to the PLUMBING END of the throttle body. Just to have some fun with it, and resell the turbo if I don't yield any results