Successfully Flushed Coolant! 60K Maintenance

So, as I recently hit 60k on my 99SE, I decided it was time to flush out the red rusty coolant in the system. I'm 18, and just learning about how all this stuff works. I can really say the hardest part was removing the plastic trim piece under the radiator to get to the drain bolt. After removing the old coolant, it's filled with new prestone coolant and runs great and has great heat. I'm pretty proud of myself ;) <br /><br />Now, when I drive, the coolant temp needle stays COLD and only reaches the lower middle of the range when idling. Never goes near the HOT as expected!<br /><br />Just thought I'd share with you guys!<br /><br />Anthony

• Like 1

So, as I recently hit 60k on my 99SE, I decided it was time to flush out the red rusty coolant in the system. I'm 18, and just learning about how all this stuff works. I can really say the hardest part was removing the plastic trim piece under the radiator to get to the drain bolt. After removing the old coolant, it's filled with new prestone coolant and runs great and has great heat. I'm pretty proud of myself ;) <br /><br />Now, when I drive, the coolant temp needle stays COLD and only reaches the lower middle of the range when idling. Never goes near the HOT as expected!<br /><br />Just thought I'd share with you guys!<br /><br />Anthony

Congrats.

The trim part is knows as "air dam". It comes off for lots of maint repair things. Good to put some grease/oil on the screws so it will be easier next time.

Low miles car.

-chart-

Congrats.

The trim part is knows as "air dam". It comes off for lots of maint repair things. Good to put some grease/oil on the screws so it will be easier next time.

Low miles car.

-chart-

Thank you! 

Congratulations!

You can always learn things when you do it yourself (and save some cash too!).

Thanks! Pep boys wanted $79.99 for a flush, but it cost me $13.99 to do it myself!

Thank you! 

Thanks! Pep boys wanted $79.99 for a flush, but it cost me $13.99 to do it myself!

And you did not damage anything like Pepboys.

I bought used '03 that had been maintained by Pepboys.

Airdam ripped off, fender liner missing, mega fuse cover missing, air filter box broken. Missing bolts, and gross overtightened front lug nuts.

New plugs put in without anti-seize or wire lube.

Do it yourself, and it gets done right.

And if it is done wrong, you can't complain about the service. :pat:

-chart-

• Like 1

Thank you! 

Wow, when I did mine it cost around $50 in coolant and the flush liquid I used...

Wow, when I did mine it cost around $50 in coolant and the flush liquid I used...

Same here. In fact the cost of the supplies for most fluid changes isn't much cheaper than paying a shop to do it here

Same here. In fact the cost of the supplies for most fluid changes isn't much cheaper than paying a shop to do it here

Ditto for full synthetic oil changes. :angry:

But then you don't get that feeling of "I did it myself" lol. That's priceless.

• Like 1

But then you don't get that feeling of "I did it myself" lol. That's priceless.

Or, they just drained and refilled and called it a "flush".

My experience, I do not trust shops. They will have to "show me".

-chart-

Or, they just drained and refilled and called it a "flush".

My experience, I do not trust shops. They will have to "show me".

-chart-

My last flush I drained all the coolant out, replaced it with tap water, ran the car until it was hot, stuck the garden hose back in the coolant tank, pulled the drain plug and let it flush out all the crud for several minutes. Pinched off the heater core bypass, then later back flushed the core. Haven't had any heater problems since.

The last time I had the shop do a "flush", my heater worked great before and after it worked crap. Whatever they did just loosened the crud up and it clogged the heater core.

My last flush I drained all the coolant out, replaced it with tap water, ran the car until it was hot, stuck the garden hose back in the coolant tank, pulled the drain plug and let it flush out all the crud for several minutes. Pinched off the heater core bypass, then later back flushed the core. Haven't had any heater problems since.

The last time I had the shop do a "flush", my heater worked great before and after it worked crap. Whatever they did just loosened the crud up and it clogged the heater core.

Yea but you got iron block. :pat:

-chart-

And you did not damage anything like Pepboys.

I bought used '03 that had been maintained by Pepboys.

Airdam ripped off, fender liner missing, mega fuse cover missing, air filter box broken. Missing bolts, and gross overtightened front lug nuts.

New plugs put in without anti-seize or wire lube.

Do it yourself, and it gets done right.

And if it is done wrong, you can't complain about the service. :pat:

-chart-

this post will make me think twice about pep boys from now on!

this post will make me think twice about pep boys from now on!

I have no idea about any other Pepboys other than East Brunswick NJ where this one was "serviced"

But, my experience with 3 local Ford Lin dealers is not much better. One dealer bought the other out, and the 3rd closed and they tore the building down and put up a grocery.

Last dealing with my selling dealer of my '02 Lin,  tec poured oil over the engine and tranny and let the air out of one front tire. They had given him notice of termination and my car was the last one he did. Took 2 trips to the dealer to clean up the mess. They lost my keys, could not find the papers. Then said they did not know what was wrong with my car. I took it to the dealer that is now out of business and they replaced everything in the steering only to have me ask if the replaced the belt. That was the problem. They did not suspect the belt slipping. Maybe it is just as well they went out of business. But the only one remaining dealer, I would give a D at best for customer, service, and D- for waiting room. They never advertise their 'service', only price of cars.

And, Honda Dealer where I bought my used LinCont in VA, I would give their waiting area A+.

So, I will keep on doing my own stuff.

-chart-

I do my all my own servicing. I trust nobody. I am sure there are good shops out there.

The body shop where I had my Thunderbird is a place I would take my cars without question. But honestly if I can do my own work, I will. If I do it then it generally gets done right.

Speaking for the Pep Boys here in Marlton NJ, when I was under my car I noticed they got oil all over the pan and even the transmission pan. Last time I'll get an oil change there. My next feat it a DIY oil change.

They probably

Didn't get oil all over it - that's seals that are weeping or leaking fluid. These fluids travel with gravity. Old car stuff

They probably

Didn't get oil all over it - that's seals that are weeping or leaking fluid. These fluids travel with gravity. Old car stuff

Agree for Bulls.

Lin Cont on the other hand, bone dry, dusty, rusty.

Based on 5 Lins.

But then I remember Essex  Sables being dry. Silicone seal for gasket.

-chart-

I would trust my car with a crazy hippie environmentalist before I'd trust my car with Pep Boys. :lol:

Pep Boys and Jiffy Lube are both on the same level of horrible. My car goes to the junkyard before it goes to either of them.

I would trust my car with a crazy hippie environmentalist before I'd trust my car with Pep Boys. :lol:

Pep Boys and Jiffy Lube are both on the same level of horrible. My car goes to the junkyard before it goes to either of them.

Well it would definitely have to go to the junkyard after going to them, so it makes sense to save the trip, haha.

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...