I'm having problems replacing headlights on the passenger side of the 95 wagon. I have been told to drill a hole in the bottom of the headlight assembly. Has anyone done this? I noticed that there was a significant amount of moisture inside the assembly. I'm thinking that and or silica packages as well. Thanks for your time and input.

I'm having problems replacing headlights on the passenger side of the 95 wagon. I have been told to drill a hole in the bottom of the headlight assembly. Has anyone done this? I noticed that there was a significant amount of moisture inside the assembly. I'm thinking that and or silica packages as well. Thanks for your time and input.

HeadLampWater_zps73435c68.jpg

I have drilled one that got water often. I blew into the hole and could hear the leak. Siliconed the leak and then it was OK.

Then removed the bulbs/sockets and put a small fan in the larger opening until all the moisture was gone. Was OK but the reflector was tarnished and not really very good. Note: there is a vent with a one way valve. You can blow into it and build pressure, but pull a suction and the valve will let air in the vent, slowly. Watch for the socket gaskets not being in place well. The big one can be floppy and too big around to seal unless you lay it out carefully.

Best of luck.

-chart-

• Like 1

Had that on my 92, would pop headlight bulbs fairly often. I just drilled a couple holes and put silicone sealant around the light at the seam and I never had another issue.

Had that on my 92, would pop headlight bulbs fairly often. I just drilled a couple holes and put silicone sealant around the light at the seam and I never had another issue.

I would be careful to check what is in the pic. In this case I can work it around and get it to stay inside. I managed to get a good ring from the JY. While looking I found others really loose and they would squeeze out and loose the seal. so, it is not a uncommon issue.

-chart-

I would be careful to check what is in the pic. In this case I can work it around and get it to stay inside. I managed to get a good ring from the JY. While looking I found others really loose and they would squeeze out and loose the seal. so, it is not a uncommon issue.

-chart-

Gen 2 does not use a bulb cover of any kind on the rear of the headlight like a gen 4. So it is more than likely just a failed factory seal just like my old 92.

I had to look into a very common issue on my Aunt's 08 Chevy equinox that seems to affect the driver side headlight getting large amounts of moisture inside. Turns out that the seal around the headlight bulb was too small to make a seal with the headlight housing. Happened to find that a name brand bulb has a slightly thicker seal and after drying it out it has not returned as an issue.