jw89sho

Rotor Upgrade Options

So i happened to be near a 07 Jaguar XJ8 and noticed 13" rotors on the front. Looking up the replacement rotors at AutoZone, I found the Jag parts to be close to the same dimensions, at least for G1/2.

http://contentinfo.autozone.com/znetcs/product-info/en/US/aim/70019/image/4/

http://contentinfo.autozone.com/znetcs/additional-prod-images/en/US/aim/70019/5/image/4/

http://contentinfo.autozone.com/znetcs/additional-prod-images/en/US/aim/70019/3/image/4/

Part Number: 70019

Weight: 22.25 lbs

Warranty: 2 YR

Notes: Rotor only
Recommend replacement in pairs.

Bore Diameter (mm): 71

Discard Thickness (mm): 28.0

Drilled: No

Initial Thickness (mm): 30.0

Orientation: Non-Directional

Outside Diameter (mm): 326

Overall Depth (mm): 46

Package Quantity: 1

Primary Bolt Pattern: 5x108 / 5x4.25

Rotor Material: Iron Alloy

Rotor Type: 1-Piece

Slotted: No

Vented: Yes

Now to find calipers, pads and brackets that will make these work.The price is $64.99 at my local store.

This could be interesting. I know the 1986 design front rotor and hub changed in 1989. The center hole size was increased on the rotor because the hub got thicker. Seems like 1989 to 1993 rotors are the same. I'm definitely interested in what you find out.

The Cobra upgrade is a common upgrade and bolts on to the 94/95 knuckles: http://www.shosource.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=61_23_19&products_id=10

This has worked many times over and provides great braking.

As for the rotors that converts to 12.8" which means you need to match that and not 13" otherwise you will have a lip.

The 89-93 caliper bolt pattern does not work with much else. In the early days they were machining the knuckle to make other calipers work.

I received word that the Focus ST rotor for '12-'14 models is a 12.6" that should work as well. Seems to be some good deals on that part on Rockauto.

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/moreinfo.php?pk=4417095&cc=3305734

This could be interesting. I know the 1986 design front rotor and hub changed in 1989. The center hole size was increased on the rotor because the hub got thicker. Seems like 1989 to 1993 rotors are the same. I'm definitely interested in what you find out.

The Lin Cont shared the brake system but all had rear discs. If you look at the specs, it would be possible to put rears on the front. 10.08D to 10.16D but the rears were thinner. The register hole 2.54 on both was a potential for safety issues if the rear rotor was put in front. The thickness was 0.70" thinner for the rears. For '92/'91 they increased the register to 2.80 on fronts. "Wheel" register was the same all along so no issue with wheels. When things are changed to prevent unsafe operation, there is likely been a mistake made. So the different F/R register continues today and it is not possible to put rear rotors on the front spindle.  

There was an issue with dealers putting Taurus rotors on Lin Cont. Same dimentions, but the Lin had a larger axle flange and the Ford made rotors did not pull up right and there were reports of that breaking studs and wheels falling off. It did not make a recall as it was a dealer mistake. Ford changed the OEM rotors for spare parts so the same rotors fit both cars. My local dealer put the wrong ones on my '01 under warrenty, but I did not get off the lot. It was obvious not right so I just got out and made them give me my loaner back. Service guy called and said they had put the wrong rotors on and it is now fixed.

-chart-

Since my thunderbird has the same brakes as the same year taurus i would reccomend trying out the conversion on TCCOA to mustang dual piston calipers. As the t-bird and Taurus have the same front brake setup in theory this upgrade is doable on a D186.

http://www.tccoa.com/articles/mn12how-to/brake_upgrade/brake_upgrade.htm

I did the PBR upgrade to my T-Bird, very sweet improvement :)

Would the cobra calipers fit the Tauruses knuckles?

Yes it is a common upgrade for the SHO's. Must have 94/95 knuckles for the Gen1/2. Gen3 on up works. You have to re-drill the rotors. We offer a kit: http://www.shosource.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=61_23_19&products_id=10

What about the 4 piston calipers?

You don't need 4 piston calipers on a 200hp car.

• Like 1

You don't need 4 piston calipers on a 200hp car.

Shhhhhh

More pistons aren't even really needed for better stopping. You don't see 1 ton pickups with 6 piston calipers, and they actually really need the braking when they are towing 20,000lbs. It's about the overall size of the brakes and thermal mass of the rotors.

And considering the Taurus is known to warp rotors fast I would say larger calipers would only make that problem worse.  The real solution would be to increase the overall size of the braking system.

The real worth while modification would be to loose the rear drums in favor of the solid discs.

More pistons aren't even really needed for better stopping. You don't see 1 ton pickups with 6 piston calipers, and they actually really need the braking when they are towing 20,000lbs. It's about the overall size of the brakes and thermal mass of the rotors.

And considering the Taurus is known to warp rotors fast I would say larger calipers would only make that problem worse.  The real solution would be to increase the overall size of the braking system.

The real worth while modification would be to loose the rear drums in favor of the solid discs.

G-4 Bulls use the Lin Cont brakes, good enough for 275HP and more weight. I do not have any issue with rotors warping, just rusting.

-chart-

G-4 Bulls use the Lin Cont brakes, good enough for 275HP and more weight. I do not have any issue with rotors warping, just rusting.

-chart-

My reply...I stop hard.

Actually this last set lasted over 4 years.  Brakes are cheap in the big scheme so I don't really mind if they need to be replaced every few years. Unlike some idiots who claim they can go 150,000 miles on the original set of brakes.

My reply...I stop hard.

Actually this last set lasted over 4 years.

Once a year we put 5 people in the Lin (~1000 lbs) and 4-500 pounds in the trunk and go 650 miles each way, with maybe 100 miles flat land. Brakes do fine in the mountains. Most use when I ramp off at `70 and go down a steep ramp and have to stop at the bottom. I should plan ahead and get off the gas but it slips up on me. Or someone yells gotta pee.

-chart-

That setup holds up very well to racing situations. If you need better brakes then go with better pads. We can source 4 piston calipers but they will cost you.