I'm looking to get a beater to bring back with me to school in January, thoughts on this find?

http://cleveland.craigslist.org/cto/4775173239.html

http://cleveland.craigslist.org/cto/4753794565.html

Edited by papousaidonlyford

Ouch... I've bought cars in better condition for that price... Idk brah...

I'm looking to get a beater to bring back with me to school in January, thoughts on this find?

http://cleveland.craigslist.org/cto/4775173239.html

I wouldn't, but maybe that's just me. I don't like how dirty the engine looks, and the body rust is a problem for me, especially around the fuel door.

Persistence will pay off. You can find one in decent condition that needs a bit of work that makes it affordable :)

That looks like a good candidate. Price is way too low.

Rebuilt status. Sometimes good deal, especially if you intend to drive it forever. A poor deal if you ever want to upgrade (i.e. trade it in). CarFax (or equivalent) could be your friend.

Another thing, up here, some rebuilders have taken two write-off units and welded the front half of one to the rear of the other. A body integrity check fails (at least in Saskatchewan).

Check, double check and then test drive. There is always a reason someone is selling (and it ain't because he luv's ya.)

Yeah... that car needs to be thoroughly and professionally inspected before any money changes hands.

If the seller won't agree to let that happen pre-sale, then tell him/her to f**k off and walk away from it.

The second link is so similar to how I bought my car. My car is a 2004, bought at 102k miles, rebuilt title, black leather interior with woodgrain, etc. I paid $4k for mine, and I regret buying prior salvage title. There are "quirks" that my car has, and they're not necessarily good. Little random fixes pop up, and I can't help but feel like they're the result of the damage the car had. Every case will be different, though. My friends Milan was a prior salvage and he has had next to no problems since he got it. $1,500 seems really low, though.

The second link is so similar to how I bought my car. My car is a 2004, bought at 102k miles, rebuilt title, black leather interior with woodgrain, etc. I paid $4k for mine, and I regret buying prior salvage title. There are "quirks" that my car has, and they're not necessarily good. Little random fixes pop up, and I can't help but feel like they're the result of the damage the car had. Every case will be different, though. My friends Milan was a prior salvage and he has had next to no problems since he got it. $1,500 seems really low, though.

Totals are very different from one to another. My '03 I bought back from the insurance, $406 and paid to do the windshield. I did the top glass and hood as well as broken glass removal. Tree fall. 3.6 years and 47K miles later, no issues. No title change as NY 8 years or older no title change required. But I saw one in my lookings where the driver's door mismatch with the body was really bad, maybe half inch out at the bottom, half inch in at the top. I moved on quickly. Carfax shows side impact. Low miles, nice quipment car but: not on my watch.

There is the risk reward and how good one is at getting information.

-chart-

Totals are very different from one to another. My '03 I bought back from the insurance, $406 and paid to do the windshield. I did the top glass and hood as well as broken glass removal. Tree fall. 3.6 years and 47K miles later, no issues. No title change as NY 8 years or older no title change required. But I saw one in my lookings where the driver's door mismatch with the body was really bad, maybe half inch out at the bottom, half inch in at the top. I moved on quickly. Carfax shows side impact. Low miles, nice quipment car but: not on my watch.

There is the risk reward and how good one is at getting information.

-chart-

That's very true. My car is just fishy.

AutoCheck report states: "3/6/2009 - TITLE SALVAGE: Possible Total Loss - Vehicle titled/registered to an insurance company" and "4/23/2009 - TITLE: Not actual miles" and finally "4/23/2009 - TITLE: Salvage".

Interesting random fact: My car was salvaged right around 33,000 miles in 2009, and between 3/28/2010 and 6/6/2011 my car was driven 23,593 miles.