Sign in to follow this  
shoulder

Trying To Replace Ac Clutch

My ac clutch was making noise and eventually stopped engaging. Due to it malfunctioning it was blowing my idle control fuse. I replaced fuse and disconnected ac relay to get car runnable. Drove for two weeks with plans of replacing ac clutch. Before replacing ac clutch, clutch locked up and popped my serpentine belt. I have already purchased ac clutch and now new serpentine belt.

My question is

(1) is it possible that my ac compressor is still ok, even after the clutch pulley locked up and popped my belt?

(2) can I replace clutch from the top, with out dropping the engine, with out removing ac compressor? To avoid getting ac recharged.

(3) do I need any special tools to remove clutch, replace belt?

Yes it is still poss its ok.  

Yes you cacn replace clutch .  Lower subframe passenger side.

No idea on tools

(1) Compressor was still in good shape.

(2) Did drop sub frame. Glad I did, was much easier than I thought it would be. Hardest part was taking clutch off and back on.

(3) Didn't need any special tools, only tricky part was keeping pulley still while I tighten on the last piece of assembly. Ended up using just an Allen key in hole wedged up under frame.

The power of the internet and many good people, like Bull Geek, saved me plenty of money and regret. Thank you. Cars running good and ac is blowing cold.

(1) Compressor was still in good shape.

(2) Did drop sub frame. Glad I did, was much easier than I thought it would be. Hardest part was taking clutch off and back on.

(3) Didn't need any special tools, only tricky part was keeping pulley still while I tighten on the last piece of assembly. Ended up using just an Allen key in hole wedged up under frame.

The power of the internet and many good people, like Bull Geek, saved me plenty of money and regret. Thank you. Cars running good and ac is blowing cold.

If you do it again or others need to:

Hot wire the A/C clutch and it will hold it still for tightening the bolt in the end.

Congrats for your work. I paid a young mechanic 1 hour to do my '01. My hands are gettin old and any scrape and I bruise/bleed.

And drop of the sub frame works for lots of things. Really helps with strut, knuckle, BJ, and such.

Good to remember to torque the bolts. And replace rusty ones.

-chart-