2015 Z06 Corvette Vs Gen 3 Taurus/sable Wagon

Idiot GM, lets test a car with racing slicks on a public road in the rain on a wet road. No owner of a vehicle like that would drive their car on a wet highway with racing tires.

Let's not jump to conclusions. Here is comment I cut from our local paper (Saturday, November 8 Saskatoon Star Phoenix). The author is our local know everything expert - and no it is not me.

The other issue is that there are many driving way over 90 km/h and they're not that good of drivers to begin with. They know how to step on a gas pedal, big deal!!!  Very few people in Saskatoon are really good drivers, I'm talking about knowing how to control skid, turn out of spins, using manual emergency brake to change directions and thus avoid collisions, etc !  Yes, I am one of the really good drivers!  Helped that I went to a high performance driving school in Ontario 5 years ago to learn how to PROPERLY control skidding, sliding, etc.  I know most can't get a car to drift AND stay in total control.

I have also lost the link to the statistic on how many Bugatti Veyrons have been wrecked, but it is quite a few. And finally, my favourite whipping car, the Porsche 911. Sorry. Just because someone can afford to buy a high powered sports car, does not make them an expert driver. Owners can and do drive way beyond their abilities just because they have a powerful car.

Edited by SHO-WGN
  • Like 1

You can see the road and car are wet, right at the point where the road is the slickest, not fully wet but damp. Racing tires plus wet road usually ends up bad especially when the car has 700hp and was traveling at most likely 75mph or faster based on every other divided highway in Michigan. Doesn't matter how good of a driver you are when you have no traction and the laws of physics are against you.

This article also provides a nice example of a possible negative effect of the "safer" highway barrier. The material of the corvette was too weak to provide adequate pressure for the barrier to work properly, instead just tore the car apart. I bet the much heavier steel bodied Taurus wagon would have triggered the barrier properly.

I'm real nervous about those barriers being used. Chopped the damn car in half

You know I read something that said those wire barriers have been one of the biggest life savers in highway history. That and the guard rails and concrete barriers. The concrete barriers are designed to make your car go back the other direction though which can cause you to collide with other cars. Better than crossing and going head on though.

They are incredible lifesavers. The Minnesota Department of Transportation just installed those wire barriers along I29 between Moorhead, MN and the Twin Cities. Almost four years ago, four NDSU students died in a crash after their vehicle skidded out of control, across the median, and into oncoming traffic. All four girls died on impact. The girl driving the car was in my graduating class of high school. Their deaths sparked the installation of the wire barriers, and they've performed miraculously. Winter on that highway is so dangerous, it makes me feel better knowing they're there.

Let's not jump to conclusions. Here is comment I cut from our local paper (Saturday, November 8 Saskatoon Star Phoenix). The author is our local know everything expert - and no it is not me.

I have also lost the link to the statistic on how many Bugatti Veyrons have been wrecked, but it is quite a few. And finally, my favourite whipping car, the Porsche 911. Sorry. Just because someone can afford to buy a high powered sports car, does not make them an expert driver. Owners can and do drive way beyond their abilities just because they have a powerful car.

You are right.  I do a lot of track days in my 911 Turbos S and the car still scares the heel out of me.  Even with all my track and track teaching experience I sometimes wonder if the car is beyond my abilities.  I do see al lot of guys, young and old, crashing their high performance cars on track days because of lack of skill.  I haven't crashed mine but then I'm sometimes too scared to push it to its limits.  Maybe the likes of Lewis Hamilton could get the max out of my car, but not me.