Sign in to follow this  
JoeAsheville

Help - Left Rear Disc Parking Brake Return Spring

Alright folks, here's an SOS. Through a magical confluence of forces that I've managed to deflect with my tinfoil hat until tonight, the left (drivers) rear parking brake return spring has gone AWOL. I thought that I had picked up a caliper with a bracket for this build, but when I pulled it out of the box it was just the bare minimum...no bracket, no bolts, and most importantly...no parking brake return spring. At least they were nice enough to leave me a note stating that I would have to re use my old one.

The problem is, the old junkyard caliper did not have one either. Argh.

So...I'm looking at trying to find one locally used (unlikely, since most yards around here only sell the whole assembly), or breaking down and purchasing a new caliper which has what I need for $80, all for want of a return spring. That would mean using my newly rebuilt caliper as a core...a double whammy.

I'm down to my last few dollars just trying to get this car back on the road folks...the junkyard calipers came with decent looking used brake pads so I'm reusing those (yep...USED brake pads)...so some help with a spring that someone could spare would be FANTASTIC.

Thanks for any help you could provide...

PM our address and I send it out tomorrow.

• Like 1

Just got the springs today!  Will be installing the one for the driver's side this evening.

THANKS SO MUCH FOR YOUR HELP!  :party:

I'm not sure if you can make it out, but in the horribly blurry second picture is a layer of dirt on the car.  Last night was the first time that car had moved in a year and a half...it had been on jackstands for that long.  Part of that dirt is pollen from the fall of 2013.

Wow the car has been parked for quite some time!

Glad to hear it's back on the road. I remember meeting you in Atlanta and selling a set of sway bars to you years ago.

Haha!  Yep, that was me!  You may not believe it...but those sway bars *just* made it into that very car 2 weeks ago.

We've really been enjoying driving the ol' family truckster again :)

Love to hear that a Taurus / sable is back on the road.