Sign in to follow this  
SHO-WGN

Why?

All engines and transmission are shared between the Mondeo and Fusion with exception of manual transmissions and the diesel options which will likely never come to North America due to huge investment involved in meeting emissions requirements.  Be happy that Ford even offers a 6 speed manual option on the current Fusion, although I can't imagine that lasting much longer.

Pictured below are two models of the current European Mondeo, a sedan and a wagon.

Now here is the North American Fusion (sedan only). They are the same.

My apologies for resurrecting this old thread and the adjunct rants. As old geezer, with a lot of time on my hands, I sometimes watch Automobile television (like [Deutsche Welle Drive It!). The featured car this week was the Ford Mondeo Titanium Estate. Surprise. It's, it's, it's a Fusion, it's a Fusion wagon. So of course I had to check out the specifications for the second generation Fusion compared with the fourth generation Mondeo.

Wheelbase? Check. Tread width? Check. Height? Check. Curb weight? Check. (Of course, even Wikipedia calls them the same car, but I had to check for myself.)

So now after resurrecting this thread, comes the old guy rant. Surely, if Ford can build the car in one part of the world, they could assemble it in another. Back in the old days, you could order a vehicle from the factory with a myriad set of options. My Aerostar was one of those very rare models (read my earlier posts in this thread) with a five speed manual, dual air conditioners/heaters, super stereo system.

Why can Ford not offer some of these options? Like manual transmission, Or performance diesels. Or handling packages. When I read the Top Gear magazine review of the new Focus ST, I was shocked that the North American journalist did not drive stick. No wonder the manufacturers do not want to offer manuals.

The video segment on the Mondeo was clear why some models do not sell. Price. When a Volvo V70R was in the $50,000 range, surprise, surprise not many people jump at this take it or leave it offer.

So what is a good, old Canadian boy to do? He is monitoring the used and wrecked auto parts market in England, France and Germany. Maybe, I will get lucky and find a good used six speed manual to swap.

I leave you with one last example. This is the first generation, 1997 Mondeo. Guess what, it is a Contour wagon.

I don't think anyone debates that the Fusion and Mondeo aren't the same car...

And I really share your love of wagons but I think what I have to say next might give you a coronary...

I haven't been able to confirm this, but the Mondeo is sold in Latin and South America in hatch and wagon varieties. It would make logical sense that the cars sold in these markets are manufactured alongside the Fusion at the plant in Hermosillo. It wouldn't make sense to import Mondeos built in Europe.

Imagine hatch backs and station wagons being assembled in the exact same plant where the Fusion is built, but yet Ford can't be bothered selling them in North America...

All engines and transmission are shared between the Mondeo and Fusion with exception of manual transmissions and the diesel options which will likely never come to North America due to huge investment involved in meeting emissions requirements.  Be happy that Ford even offers a 6 speed manual option on the current Fusion, although I can't imagine that lasting much longer.

Dude, the manual on the Fusion was dropped after MY 2014... And I also think it's wiser to say that the only engine/transmission similarities between the Fusion and Mondeo are the 1.5l and 2.0l Ecoboost engines and the traditional automatic transmission.

Not that they share everything except all the diesel engines, the 2.5L NA engine we have here, the 1.0L Ecoboost in the Mondeo, the "Powershift" DCT transmission in the Mondeo, AND the two manual transmissions offered in the Mondeo lol.

Dude, the manual on the Fusion was dropped after MY 2014... And I also think it's wiser to say that the only engine/transmission similarities between the Fusion and Mondeo are the 1.5l and 2.0l Ecoboost engines and the traditional automatic transmission.

Not that they share everything except all the diesel engines, the 2.5L NA engine we have here, the 1.0L Ecoboost in the Mondeo, the "Powershift" DCT transmission in the Mondeo, AND the two manual transmissions offered in the Mondeo lol.

Oh wow I didn't know they cut the manual transmission option, shows how little I know about the Fusion.  I would guess the 1.5L and 2.0L EB and 6 speed auto makeup the majority of Fusions and Mondeos sold in the world though. 

Its not a vehicle I really care about, I don't plan on owning another midsize sedan for quite a while.  Good solid vehicle but way down on my list of future vehicles to own.

• Like 1

Agreed, I think from here on out I will pursue the SUV/Crossover as it is the closest to a station wagon you can get to.