The Silver Bullet Is Finally Here! (Pics!)

I absolutely love the '99 Taurus / Sables. Those have been the most reliable ones I've had, cracking the 400,000 mile mark easily on one. That's a great looking car you have there.

Thanks guys! Real excited too. Only hiccup was blowing my 5A fuse with my new stereo, so i replaced it with a 10A, like the radio is rated. I had a small heart attack because apparently the speedometer runs on the same circuit as the radio, and my speedometer wouldn't move after the radio fuse blew.

Thanks guys! Real excited too. Only hiccup was blowing my 5A fuse with my new stereo, so i replaced it with a 10A, like the radio is rated. I had a small heart attack because apparently the speedometer runs on the same circuit as the radio, and my speedometer wouldn't move after the radio fuse blew.

If the car is spec'd for 5A, do not put a 10A fuse in.  The wiring isn't designed for 10A.

If the car is spec'd for 5A, do not put a 10A fuse in.  The wiring isn't designed for 10A.

I was told that at Advanced Auto Parts, but at radio shack the guy told me that I should match the fuse in the radio, because whenever I turned up the volume, I would blow the 5A fuse. Will I do potential damage?

You'll screw up more in the factory wiring and other items on the circuit like the speedo. That radio shouldn't be blowing a fuse that it was meant for unless the installation was done incorrectly.

I was told that at Advanced Auto Parts, but at radio shack the guy told me that I should match the fuse in the radio, because whenever I turned up the volume, I would blow the 5A fuse. Will I do potential damage?

I'd take advice from someone working in an auto parts store with (slightly) more authority than from a store that deals with entirely different types of product offerings. ;)

If you need more juice, I'd run a dedicated circuit to the radio with the proper wiring gauge and inline fuse for the Always Hot circuit.

If you need more juice, I'd run a dedicated circuit to the radio with the proper wiring gauge and inline fuse for the Always Hot circuit.

Bingo

I think I'm gonna replace the 5A fuse and see how far I get. It seems like the one that blew could have been old, as the replacement seemed to work fine. Thanks

Yeah the gas gauges are kind of slow to update.

I had the same thing happen with my speedo too the first time I put my aftermarket radio in. I learned I can't turn the volume up higher than 20/25 on my Alpine or it will blow the fuse.

• 1 month later...

You could attach the yellow wire from the radio to the cigarette lighter circuit, that one is rated 20 amps.

My setup is not using the amp in the headunit, separate 4 channel instead. Not likely to blow the radio fuse that way.

• Like 1

Nice car. I've never had a radio do that, that's odd. In my 92 wagon I have higher end kenwood and can crank it all the way with out blowing any fuse. If your planning on putting a system in there I recommended doing the big 3 upgrade. It helps quite a bit on my wagon but I still have quite a bit of voltage drop so some upgrades are still needed. :icon_mrgreen:

• Like 1