Sign in to follow this  
Coreyp

Opinions On This Sho Motor

I picked up this motor at the junkyard yesterday.It has a little over 84K,the picture are of the front and rear heads after I pulled the valve covers.Also there was no metal shavings or flakes of any kind anywhere near the cam or in the heads at all.So from the pictures does it appear that this motor suffered the same fate as many others have or is it good to go after the cams are weld.

http://s933.photobucket.com/user/fordtaurus/library/Low%20millage%20SHO%20motor

I got the motor,trans and entire subframe with everything still attached for $500,and $100 for the rest of the parts I got from the car.the bumpers,both fenders,trunk lid,front SHO floor mats and JBL rear radio control

Only true way to tell is to crank it. Or pull the heads I suppose.

I don't see any wear or stress around the sprocket splines. That's a good sign. You could test compression. Remove all the plugs. Squirt a little oil in each cylinder. Crank over a few times by hand with a socket and breaker bar on the crank bolt (shouldn't be hard). Install the compression tester. Turn it over a few times to build up compression. Test each cylinder the same way. Your numbers should be close to each other. Not as accurate as spinning with the starter motor but it will give you an idea. If the cam sprockets are spun, valves will be bent and there won't be compression on the affected side.

Easier than that - You still need to rotate the engine.

Get your feeler gauges out. When the cam lobe is facing away from the tappet, one wants a clearance of  ~.15 mm for intake valves, ~.25mm for exhaust valves.

If a valve to tappet clearance is like 1/8", then the valve stem is bent.

Thanks zenriddles for the tip. My reluctance to use the SHO V8 is the high cost of repair/rebuilding. Please correct me if it is different in your country, but up here in Canada we cannot even get a gasket set, let alone rebuilt heads, etc. If these parts were available, I would at least be considering using the SHO 3.4 in a heartbeat (assuming I could get one). One reason is the 3.4 SHO V8 can bolt up to the Contour SVT MTX-75 Duratec shared bellhousing.

On a closely related topic, how close is the Volvo Yamaha B8444S V8 used in the XC90 to the Ford Yamaha 3.4 SHO engine? Volvos are far more common up here than the Generation 3 SHO. I passed on one XC90 when it came available on the SGI Salvage website because I do not know enough about this engine. Would items like heads, gaskets, etc. from that 4.4 L V8 (same bore spacing) fit the 3.4 L SHO? Does anyone have a source for Volvo bell housing information (like this Ford bellhousing) Wiki?

Way more questions than answers and so little time to find them.

Edited by SHO-WGN

Bell housing looks very different.

7-2-10-1.jpg

I thought it would be neat to bore and sleeve the SHO V8 and use the Duratec 3L pistons to build a 4.0L V8. Bore spacing is the same as the Duratec so there should be enough meat in the block to bore out. The V8 uses the same piston as the 2.5L Duratec with a flat top crown versus a shallow dish.

Thanks for the idea guy's I'll try them and see what results I get.I think it may need a new starter first though,http://i933.photobucket.com/albums/ad171/fordtaurus/th_20141008_1826011_zps50b20670.mp4 <--link opens a video I took when I used a jump pack to try and use the starter to turn the motor over.

I think you are doing it wrong? You should have 12VDC On the Input of the starter, and then 12VDC to the starter solenoid remote wire.

Should be two big bolts, and 1 little bolt/or small connector/wire.

The bolt closest to starter, is what drives the motor. You can power this, but you won't engage the solenoid.

The bolt away from the starter is where it actually transfers power from the 1 terminal to the other. The little one, should be in the middle, toward the corner. That engages the whole system and makes it work.

Spridget, is that the business end of the Ford Yamaha SHO V8? If you click on the link, in the second paragraph titled 3.4L, third sentence it says "Notably, the two engines share the same bell housing pattern and 60° V angle."

Also, I seem to recall reading somewhere about someone using the MTX-75 five speed from the Contour SVT behind this engine.

While I am much more talk than action (the Black Taurus SEL is still on the back forty - three years and still nothing done except dreams) I like details before jumping in.

So here are a couple of questions. Will that Contour SVT MTX-75 transmission fit? Since you seem to have access to more than I do up here, can you find the Volvo V8 and snap a photo of the business end? And third, snap the business end of the new Focus ST 2.0 L business end.

Actually, what I have been looking for is a six speed manual that could be used in a Taurus wagon. Mondeo (European), Volvo (R models), even Focus ST, Mazda 6, Fusion all have six speed manuals, but until you have one, it is only theory.

As Isaac Newton said: "If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." As applied to me, this translates to "I would rather someone else spend the money."

The pic is of the business end of the Volvo block.

The MTX-75 does match the SHO V8 very closely, only a couple lower bolts don't match. The 4cyl MTX-75 has a shorter input shaft than the V6 unit. It's not recommend to use on the V6 (or V8). The clutch disc would be very close to the end of the splines.

Heres a pic of the SHO V8 bell housing with a SVT Contour flywheel. The Volvo block appears to have more bolt holes in a circular layout versus the SHO which is more trapezoidal.

DSCF0008.jpg

Thanks Spridget. Another building block to hang onto. Every little bit helps.