What kind of fuel do you prefer to fill your bull up with?

I prefer Chevron/Texaco /76, with Shell being second choice.

I always fill with 91, it gives me peace of mind.

And I avoid Safeway and Costco at all costs, and prefer not to use Arco.

When on the West coast, I use 76. The worst fuel Ive had out there was Valero. Down here, I just try to find non-ethenol if possible. I like Exxon, avoid Citgo wherever I go.

Ditto up here. I try to use gasoline not "contaminated" with ethanol. The same truck (Co-op) delivers gasoline to all the stations in town, so the lowest price usually wins. When traveling, usually fill up with Shell V-Powah (as if that makes any difference.) The better mileage is not due to the higher octane, but to the fact you are burning gasoline, not ethanol. A tank with pure ethanol will give you about three quarters the range of pure gasoline. Simple chemistry, ethanol is a smaller molecule than gasoline with fewer carbon-carbon bonds. (The same reasoning explains why diesel provides better mileage than gasoline, more carbon-carbon bonds means more energy per litre. er-r-r gallon, gallon!)

• Like 1

I primarily get gas at Chevron since most of my cars run well on it. I don't have the luxury of getting gasoline without 10% ethanol.

When I had my Taurus, it ran well on Chevron, Exxon, ARCO, and Valero. It ran bad on Texaco (which is funny because it's Chevron) and Shell.

The Passat runs well on all brands (maybe because it's new enough to run E85) and the Volvo hated Texaco and Gulf, but loves Chevron and Shell.

Shell VPower 93 in the SHO, and Shell 87 in the Vulcan. There is a Shell station half a mile down the road from me.  It is impossible to find pure 87 octane in our area, it all has ethanol. Most premiums also have the "E10" sticker on the pump, only a few stations lack the sticker.

I buy whatever is out there. Never had a problem. On my long trips, 3K to 3.5K in 10 days or so, buy what is there, never saw it make a difference in mpg, no issue. Local, I buy from two locals, do not know the brand name. Does not matter.

Oh, I drove the 3K+ loop every 2 months for 5 years. 3 different Lin cont.

The thing of mpg, WIND!

See I-70 Columbus O to KS KS. Wind, wind, wind.

More wind, less mpg. Best mpg, very early am before the wind starts up.

-chart-

I was originally filling up on Regular (87) through Kroger, but soon found that the Marquis didn't enjoy getting "extra cheap" gasoline. I found it to burn poorly (also due to the additional ethanol) so I've recently swore it off. It also had a tendency to irritate a dying O2 sensor which would cause the Check Engine light to come on for a catalyst inefficiency. That issue was sorted completely with new O2 sensors. 

I now consistently fill up at Shell and recently have just started using Plus over Regular, finding that it seems to burn better and I've had a bump in overall tank mileage.

I feel that this is just the car's way of getting back at me for trying to be cheap in the fuel department. :ph34r:

On the note of non-ethanol stations, there is only one I know of locally and is incredibly expensive. If Shell across the street has 87 marked at $3.25, that station will have 87 marked at $4.01 or close to it. At that point you'd be better off filling up on 93 at Shell.

My Essex will run on anything that ignites :wub:

I filled the V-6 Tempo up with Valero in Placerville, Ca, and got half of my usual per-tank mileage. SERVICE ENGINE SOON was on, noticable lack of power. I thought the engine was blown it was so bad. I stopped somewhere on I-5 in SoCal and filled up with 76 mid-grade. Within 5 miles (back on the freeway), everything went back to normal. Light went off, power was there, MPG shot back up to where it usually stayed (upper 20s, low 30s).

On road trips, I usually fill up at truck stops. They sell so much fuel that your chances of getting water logged gas are low.

The Aerostar's Vulcan did not like Sinclair gas on my trip to Seattle last summer. MPG dropped, didnt seem to have the power it should.

Edited by JohnTaurus

Just filled up the (now sold) '92 for my cousin. Premium 92 octane. Came out to $44.88 at Fred Meyer (kroger) gas.

I like to use a mix of all 3 grades (87, 89, and 92) just to keep things different.

I DID find a gas station that has Racing Fuel/100 Octane. I was thinking put that in my Taurus, I bet that SVT Essex will FLY! :D

• Like 2
Just filled up the (now sold) '92 for my cousin. Premium 92 octane. Came out to $44.88 at Fred Meyer (kroger) gas.

I like to use a mix of all 3 grades (87, 89, and 92) just to keep things different.

$44?!?! I can't get out of a gas station for less than $60!

I DID find a gas station that has Racing Fuel/100 Octane. I was thinking put that in my Taurus, I bet that SVT Essex will FLY! :D

Is that safe?

Driving the Essex, I mean...

• Like 2

Brian, I think I hear some chirping coming from your Bull ;)

• Like 1

I see no Vulcan or Duratec in Thunderbirds or Mustangs. Those are sports cars.

But I seen Essex Motors in both. Clearly I have a Sports Wagon.

My gaskets are fine. And when/if they do go, I'll put new ones in. :)

• Like 1
I see no Vulcan or Duratec in Thunderbirds or Mustangs. Those are sports cars.

But I seen Essex Motors in both. Clearly I have a Sports Wagon.

My gaskets are fine. And when/if they do go, I'll put new ones in. :)

Haha I only tease you because you're such a good sport...

.... About your poopy head gaskets...

• Like 1

Well... Stangs are s**t.

Try the same move in a Thunderbird.... Super Coupe ;)

Supercharged Essex for all the world to enjoy :wub: