Sign in to follow this  
Shade

How Do You Christen A New Roundabout? By Wrecking Your V8 Sho With It!

Yep, still a kid at heart apparently...

I decided on the night of July 31st, I'd make a Dakota run with my friend Jake. 

I usually do this as cigarettes by the carton are half of that I pay here. Wait till midnight till my pay goes into the bank (direct deposit), Load up and gas the car, grab a friend or three and blast to Fargo, usually a 2-3 hour ordeal.

This time, we went up there and got our smokes, and decided to spend an hour at Perkins before heading back.

Trip went excellent until about 5:00am...

We have a new roundabout here in DL, at the intersection of Highway 59 North and Willow street.

I have a SHO with good tires, and SARC, and I knew what I was doing... or so I thought.

was doing 60 coming up on the roundabout, I slowed down to about 50, and went into the turn. everything was beautiful about halfway through when I felt the car lose traction in the back then the front. 

Too late to do anything, I slammed into the curb and bounced the car up onto the fresh sidewalk, feeling the car bottom out hardcore on the edge of the curb. I had enough time to look at my buddy and scream "Oh s**t!" and look back out the windshield. I look back out, and there is a brand new Crosswalk sign in my way. 

Rammed that sign at 35 or so. Mowed it right down. Ripped off the front license plate mount and launched the sign into the air. it was like a scene out of a Need for Speed game. I had the shade for the sunroof open, and i watched as the sign blasted the front bumper, take flight and fly over the car, clearing the whole car minus bouncing off the trunklid, missing my spoiler. it landed with a loud clang in the middle of the street, as we kept going.

The oil pressure light immediately came on, I put it in neutral and killed it, coasting at 20, rolling back off the sidewalk and curb out onto the shoulder of the road. We came to a halt about 250 or so feet away from point of impact.

We got out, I was immediately greeted with the smell of Mercon V and Trop-Arctic 5w30, as smoke is pouring out of the wheel wells, grille and under the front end. In shock from what had just occurred, I thought i had just totalled the SHO. Looking underneath, I discover the oil pan is nowhere to be found and the car was hemorrhaging Tranny fluid from a decent size hole in the Trans pan. 

Called local PD, officer came out and took pics, and informed us that I was the first one to have an accident on this new roundabout. I asked for a tow, got the car home, grabbed the 97 sable, and took my friend home, both of us wondering how stupid i was. 

Got back to the house, and started diagnosis. this is what followed:

10406545_640851686013347_325779389712157

10488041_640851746013341_559096375709512

10177256_640851769346672_268519327172533

10352573_640851839346665_925877253971033

Discovered that the base of the sign is what shattered the oil pan. 

This morning I decided to grab all the pieces i could and try to piece it back together:

10559802_642052092559973_633942707762424

Ye, thats whats left of my oil pan. whats missing is still attached to the bottom of the engine. 

Parts now required and fast are a new oil pan and new trans pan, as well as a front bumper cover, oil and new mercon 5.

Working on a deal with QuinnSHO. one bumper cover in trade for two pans. 

The lesson here is :SLOW THE HELL DOWN. just because you think you have a fast car with good handling, doesnt mean your the best driver. I also didnt take into account that it had stormed while we were gone, and the road was wet.

Time to start fixing in time for the meet. Ill update this with progress as it is made.

$had3 :ford::merc::Shady_J:

• Like 2

Yep, still a kid at heart apparently...

I decided on the night of July 31st, I'd make a Dakota run with my friend Jake.

I usually do this as cigarettes by the carton are half of that I pay here. Wait till midnight till my pay goes into the bank (direct deposit), Load up and gas the car, grab a friend or three and blast to Fargo, usually a 2-3 hour ordeal.

This time, we went up there and got our smokes, and decided to spend an hour at Perkins before heading back.

Trip went excellent until about 5:00am...

We have a new roundabout here in DL, at the intersection of Highway 59 North and Willow street.

I have a SHO with good tires, and SARC, and I knew what I was doing... or so I thought.

was doing 60 coming up on the roundabout, I slowed down to about 50, and went into the turn. everything was beautiful about halfway through when I felt the car lose traction in the back then the front.

Too late to do anything, I slammed into the curb and bounced the car up onto the fresh sidewalk, feeling the car bottom out hardcore on the edge of the curb. I had enough time to look at my buddy and scream "Oh s**t!" and look back out the windshield. I look back out, and there is a brand new Crosswalk sign in my way.

Rammed that sign at 35 or so. Mowed it right down. Ripped off the front license plate mount and launched the sign into the air. it was like a scene out of a Need for Speed game. I had the shade for the sunroof open, and i watched as the sign blasted the front bumper, take flight and fly over the car, clearing the whole car minus bouncing off the trunklid, missing my spoiler. it landed with a loud clang in the middle of the street, as we kept going.

The oil pressure light immediately came on, I put it in neutral and killed it, coasting at 20, rolling back off the sidewalk and curb out onto the shoulder of the road. We came to a halt about 250 or so feet away from point of impact.

We got out, I was immediately greeted with the smell of Mercon V and Trop-Arctic 5w30, as smoke is pouring out of the wheel wells, grille and under the front end. In shock from what had just occurred, I thought i had just totalled the SHO. Looking underneath, I discover the oil pan is nowhere to be found and the car was hemorrhaging Tranny fluid from a decent size hole in the Trans pan.

Called local PD, officer came out and took pics, and informed us that I was the first one to have an accident on this new roundabout. I asked for a tow, got the car home, grabbed the 97 sable, and took my friend home, both of us wondering how stupid i was.

Got back to the house, and started diagnosis. this is what followed:

10406545_640851686013347_325779389712157

10488041_640851746013341_559096375709512

10177256_640851769346672_268519327172533

10352573_640851839346665_925877253971033

Discovered that the base of the sign is what shattered the oil pan.

This morning I decided to grab all the pieces i could and try to piece it back together:

10559802_642052092559973_633942707762424

Ye, thats whats left of my oil pan. whats missing is still attached to the bottom of the engine.

Parts now required and fast are a new oil pan and new trans pan, as well as a front bumper cover, oil and new mercon 5.

Working on a deal with QuinnSHO. one bumper cover in trade for two pans.

The lesson here is :SLOW THE HELL DOWN. just because you think you have a fast car with good handling, doesnt mean your the best driver. I also didnt take into account that it had stormed while we were gone, and the road was wet.

Time to start fixing in time for the meet. Ill update this with progress as it is made.

$had3 :ford::merc::Shady_J:

Glad you're alright, first and foremost.

But it did sound exciting.

Ditto with the "Glad you're alright." Just to echo your "The lesson here is: SLOW THE HELL DOWN. just because you think you have a fast car with good handling, doesn't mean you're the best driver. I also didn't take into account that it had stormed while we were gone, and the road was wet." message (and maybe assuage your ego), Google Bugatti Veyron accidents. One statistic I read (but can't verify) is over half of these exotic cars are no longer on the road (nor in a garage either).

Just because you can afford to spend $2.1 million on the fastest street-legal car in the world doesn’t mean you are also the best driver in the world. After doing an unintended 180 with a Porsche 911 on one corner of the Nürburgring (nearly forty-five years ago) the next time I drove an exotic, I was much more careful.

Still here, still enjoying the memories. I just wish we had GoPro cameras back then.

Edited by SHO-WGN

There's not enough super glue in the world to fix that! Glad you are alive and well and have learned your lesson !

You're right.

... He needs duct tape.

Ouch! Damn! glad you are alright.

Yeah that sucks. My car has fantastic traction when its dry but when its wet wow you have to slow down. ESC actually helps quite a bit with oversteer and even with understeer. I'm amazed that curb didn't do way more damage than it did. You got lucky you don't have to replace the entire transmission or motor!

At least it looks like you learned your lesson. Glad you are safe. Cop didn't give you a ticket? Lucky lol.

You need to come down to SHOcago with a pickup truck, my friend.

I have more V8 SHO parts than I can recall. Also got a near whole car - minus front suspension and a sick trans - with a good running welded motor, that I want out of the driveway before winter.

Oil pans? Of course. Front bumper covers? What color? I'm too busy for the hobby anymore and looking to downsize my huge collection.

OUCH! Sorry to hear that! I don't have one to top it, but I've done some stupid things behind the wheel of a car before, luckily mine ended better.