I tightened mine to feel but when I went back with a TQ wrench, they were light. Maybe my "feel" is getting light. I have 26# on the strut to body.

-chart-

I did the same, and had about the same torque readings. But apparently these Moog struts dont like that. So 35# it is.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Heres the tail/brake/turn: http://pages.ebay.com/motors/link/?nav=item.view&id=170989429220&alt=web Here's the reverse: http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&id=221437420824&

->removes valve stems from Kevin's car<-:-) :-p

https://www.superbrightleds.com/moreinfo/tail-brake-turn/3157-switchback-led-bulb--dual-intensity-60-smd-led-tower,-a-type/1916/4478/

Borrowed a proper torque wrench from my dad and torque down a few more things in my front end that I couldn't get to with my torque wrench. Feels much better now. No rattles at all as far as I could tell.

Also, little brother came by today and finished up my sub box. He started by building the top half (upside down to show the guts) :

e8eqejet.jpg

Then we inserted it into the trunk and screwed and glued it to the floor he made last weekend:

u2eby7ub.jpg

Here's the back:

5agudyne.jpg

It was a long day today, so I just used my old wiring that was already in there. I'll cut new stuff to length probably this week, or when I order the new three way terminal and fuse panel. But the aux battery is in and safely secured, powering my electronics, and out of the taillight corner where it was for nearly two years.

There are a few rattles with the 15, but overall, considering how many more watts, cubic feet, and inches in subwoofer I have now compared to my previous setup, I'd say the sound deadening is definitely helping. Though I might add some more to the decklid.

I just never understood why people do this s**t. No trunk, and a pointlessly located subwoofer that ruins the music AND driving experience. :rolleyes:

I disagree. A good sub setup improves the quality of music if done right. Now if it's over driven and becomes a ghetto blaster, yeah... I miss having the sub in my car. But I NEED my trunk. Maybe I might put it in my Thunderbird...

I just never understood why people do this s**t. No trunk, and a pointlessly located subwoofer that ruins the music AND driving experience. :rolleyes:

Well, that's the difference between you and I. I can appreciate custom work, even if it's not my taste. Furthermore, I don't just have a huge sub on an otherwise factory sound system. I built my system myself as an Sq system, not SPL, meaning I have even wattage across my lows, mids and highs to hear and FEEL every percussive hit, every bass line, every guitar link and solo, and every vocal. Throw on Eric Clapton live, and you'll be checking your bank account to see what they charged you for the concert ticket.

As far as pointless positioning, it had to be positioned there to get the proper amount of airspace within the box for the sub to sound properly, and to house the aux battery I use to run the sound system.

As far as not being able to use my trunk, I don't haul anything. My car doesn't go anywhere. I drive 4 mins to work, and 4 mins home. On the weekend, it parks in the garage and stays there while my wife, kids and I hop in her Escape whose sound system I also built, with the concept of needing space for the family. So I don't need a trunk. My car is on its way to being a full show car in the next 4 to 5 years ($$), only to be driven on special occasions and nice weather days. My car isn't much more than a toy. It doesn't need to be terribly functional.

So ease up a little and instead of tearing somebodys design down, try to show a little appreciation for the hard work, money, and dedication someone put in to their car. If you don't like it, don't do it to yours.

I disagree. A good sub setup improves the quality of music if done right. Now if it's over driven and becomes a ghetto blaster, yeah... I miss having the sub in my car. But I NEED my trunk. Maybe I might put it in my Thunderbird...

Agreed, but that's just my opinion. Some people like the ghetto blasters. Now, like I said, I built an Sq system, so while the sub is big, it matches what I've built upfront. With a quick tune from the drivers seat, I can make any song sound good, from any genre, and with another quick tune from the drivers seat, I can sound like a ghetto blaster.

Versatility. I like that s**t.

Hahaha, nice! It's coming along nicely by the way.

• Like 1
Hahaha, nice! It's coming along nicely by the way.

thank you!

BTW, thanks for the visors. Once I got them, I realized I hated them. Lol I actually don't like the very design of them. So the plan is to pull the home link module out of the drivers and install it into my double visors. B):lol:

Lol, oh... I loved em! They telescoped so you can have them directly where the sun is at. Which to me was great since the sun was always at that corner by my eye. Not sure if the double visors extend.

I almost never use the double visor in my Taurus on the Gen 2.

Lol, oh... I loved em! They telescoped so you can have them directly where the sun is at. Which to me was great since the sun was always at that corner by my eye. Not sure if the double visors extend.

I almost never use the double visor in my Taurus on the Gen 2.

I could see where the telescope motion could be useful, but the sun seems to always switch back and forth across my A pillar. So for me the doubles are better. But they don't telescope. I also need to get myself a passenger side double. My passenger is just a regular single.

• 1 month later...

So after talking a bit with Adio, I got a better understanding of the problem with high output alternators and the lack of charge at idle that has been plaguing me since I installed it.

I decided to order an overdrive pulley for my Alt. Factory Alt had 3 3/16" pulley, the currently installed ** has 2 1/2", and I just ordered a 2" (the company calls it that, but they say it's actually 1.9"). I should have it by tomorrow, and hopefully installed this weekend. You all already know why I'm not looking forward to actually doing this project. :(:mellow:

So after talking a bit with Adio, I got a better understanding of the problem with high output alternators and the lack of charge at idle that has been plaguing me since I installed it.

I decided to order an overdrive pulley for my Alt. Factory Alt had 3 3/16" pulley, the currently installed ** has 2 1/2", and I just ordered a 2" (the company calls it that, but they say it's actually 1.9"). I should have it by tomorrow, and hopefully installed this weekend. You all already know why I'm not looking forward to actually doing this project. :(:mellow:

PulleyAlt_zpsad4dfea7.jpg

My collection of pulleys. Left to right Sable DOHC, Lin Cont, G Marquis.

Best measure for ratios is OD with a belt wrapped around, so measure the outside of the belt as it goes around.

3.17", 2.50", 2.30". Actual alt rpm also depends on crank pulley size, but you have little room there.

RPM make a big difference below 2000 engine speed based on Alldata and 130A alt. 130 @ 6000 engine speed. See chart

-chart-

So ease up a little and instead of tearing somebodys design down, try to show a little appreciation for the hard work, money, and dedication someone put in to their car. If you don't like it, don't do it to yours.

Agreed. The comment was harsh. "Not my cup of tea" would have been enough without being rude.

I prefer trunk space and sealed vs ported, but your looks well done. Quality work on the box.

Agreed. The comment was harsh. "Not my cup of tea" would have been enough without being rude.

I prefer trunk space and sealed vs ported, but your looks well done. Quality work on the box.

The box was built with baffles to be a ported box, but I tested it before cutting the ports and decided to do what I always have done. Stuck with a sealed box. Haha its just so versatile. With the huge internal airspace (I estimate ~4cuft) it rumbles hard, but still being sealed it punches tight.

Thanks for the kudos! I'll be sure to pass it on to my little brother that built it :lol:

New alternator pulley came today:

yhupyzy4.jpg

Custom machined to fit my alternator:tuqypahe.jpg

1.9 inches is pretty small when compared to a factory 3 3/16":

8asurama.jpg

Hopefully it cools down out here on this coast. 101° when I got off work at 4:00. A Duratec alternator is a hard enough job without sweltering heat trying to bake me from the inside out.

Dad called me this morning asking if I would help him with a project at his house. Finished his project earlier than we thought, so I snuck my sable into his garage to take advantage of his and my mom's tools (They each have their own 6 foot toolbox.)

qeja6apa.jpg

Got my alternator down to the sub frame without disconnecting any wires, or trying to spin and summersault the Alt to actually get it out. Saved me a ton of time. Used my dad's air gun to get the old pulley off. Test fit the new one, and there was a clearance issue that Quality Power warned me might be present.

a5ydatab.jpg

I had to grind that ridge down. Looks poor, but truthfully, with new pulley on and tucked down safely into its nightmarish location, you can't see it at all. I forgot to get a photo of the new pulley on the alt:(

But it's in, and I'm seeing definite improvements in my charge at all RPM ranges, including idle.

ne4upe5e.jpg

And with some electrical load:

detasuja.jpg

Heavily loaded:

asaqu6at.jpg

It's not perfect, but I definitely see improvment, so I'll take it. I'm happy.

Dad called me this morning asking if I would help him with a project at his house. Finished his project earlier than we thought, so I snuck my sable into his garage to take advantage of his and my mom's tools (They each have their own 6 foot toolbox.)

Got my alternator down to the sub frame without disconnecting any wires, or trying to spin and summersault the Alt to actually get it out. Saved me a ton of time. Used my dad's air gun to get the old pulley off. Test fit the new one, and there was a clearance issue that Quality Power warned me might be present.

I had to grind that ridge down. Looks poor, but truthfully, with new pulley on and tucked down safely into its nightmarish location, you can't see it at all. I forgot to get a photo of the new pulley on the alt:(

But it's in, and I'm seeing definite improvements in my charge at all RPM ranges, including idle.

And with some electrical load:

Heavily loaded:

It's not perfect, but I definitely see improvment, so I'll take it. I'm happy.

Volts5_zps5dcdd8bd.jpg

For what it is worth, see volta in '03 DOHC, warm idle in drive with HL high, blower max, A/C comp engaged. My '01 DOHC gives me very close to the same reading.

Both OEM, well over 100K on them. Guess this is what I expect from stock alt on DOHC.

-chart-

I know what you're saying man... Replacing pullies is hard work.

I remember doing it to my 05 Taurus.

IMG00018-20110124-1522.jpg

Probably took me a painful 20 minutes, but I remember it being super worth it! :)

• Like 1
Volts5_zps5dcdd8bd.jpg

For what it is worth, see volta in '03 DOHC, warm idle in drive with HL high, blower max, A/C comp engaged. My '01 DOHC gives me very close to the same reading.

Both OEM, well over 100K on them. Guess this is what I expect from stock alt on DOHC.

-chart-

With everybody I've talked to, it seems almost any ** Alt has issues at low RPM. Just the nature of the beast.

• Like 1

I wish that were true Nick, I really do. But it seems Vulcan/Essex A/C's outlast the car :rofl:

Dohc alternators are known to outlast the car just like the starter!

Thats why I couldn't bring myself to let my factory Alt go! It's still in my garage!

I wish that were true Nick, I really do. But it seems Vulcan/Essex A/C's outlast the car :rofl:

I don't know the validity of the rumors, but I hear a lot of things outlast an Essex...

->removes valve stems from Kevin's car<-

:-) :-p

• Like 1