I went to Budget Brakes yesterday to get my brakes checked yesterday. I replaced the pads and rotors since both were under legal standards, and it came out to just over $300 (also got my drums cleaned, but they offered it free with a coupon).

One thing they also found was the master cylinder, which they said was prone to fail. The technician showed me the dried brake fluid around the master cylinder, but never explained anything else about my car (he claimed it was a common issue on Taurus; he had a '96 with the same problem) other than the symptoms of a bad master cylinder (spongy pedal, emergency stop when fail, makes brake pedal lower), the symptoms which I took with careful consideration. I declined to have it done since it was approximately $177 with labor, but he said to have it done soon.

I was thinking last night and I wondered if that had been a previous problem that had been fixed before I bought my car. The fluid in the reservoir  is hard to see from the outside but seems to stay at the same level. I even did a quick check today by shifting into neutral and stepping on the brake pedal several times, but I noticed nothing leaking around the master cylinder or under the car.

I think I saved myself $180, thoughts?

Fluid can leak internally-back to the reservoir. You probably need a new one. You can always get a second opinion from another mechanic.

Just remember mechanics have to earn a living and so every job they can get means more pay. I have had many parts with leaks for years and no issues. That being said it could potentially be an issue.

I would look to see if you see any more leaking. If not I would not be worried. Depending on how they pressed in the calipers they could of forced the brake fluid through the reservoir spilling it out and then saying hey you got a problem.

Just remember mechanics have to earn a living and so every job they can get means more pay. I have had many parts with leaks for years and no issues. That being said it could potentially be an issue.

I would look to see if you see any more leaking. If not I would not be worried. Depending on how they pressed in the calipers they could of forced the brake fluid through the reservoir spilling it out and then saying hey you got a problem.

Could be, but I'm not going to give advice to err on the side of savings when it comes to brakes.

U make a good point. Maybe they made the spill. Maybe they did not have good training to remove fluid from the rssivor befor replacing pads.

Good idea for the owner to check and maintain the fluid level. Not to over fill as they have a full line on the resivor.

Wipe it down good, maintain the level, then see if there is any leak. Not uncommon for MS to look dirty.

Rags, wipe, look, look, maintain. Repeat. Owner's job.

People at service places need to inspect, maybe tell you things, it is the owner responsibility to verify. Shop should show you, and explain.

-chart-

U make a good point. Maybe they made the spill. Maybe they did not have good training to remove fluid from the rssivor befor replacing pads.

Good idea for the owner to check and maintain the fluid level. Not to over fill as they have a full line on the resivor.

Wipe it down good, maintain the level, then see if there is any leak. Not uncommon for MS to look dirty.

Rags, wipe, look, look, maintain. Repeat. Owner's job.

People at service places need to inspect, maybe tell you things, it is the owner responsibility to verify. Shop should show you, and explain.

-chart-

Hadn't considered that they could have made the spill themselves. Never used a mechanic to diagnose anything. Second Taurus transmission job doesn't count, as I knew the problem was internal.

Edited by 2000_Gold_Taurus

I don't think the the technician made the spill himself. It looked dry, and I did not see any moving fluid when he revealed it with a flashlight. Even after driving my car yesterday I didn't see any fluid dripping either. I thought the dried fluid came from a previous issue that was fixed, but I'd think a shop would remove that when replacing the MC.

I'll watch for leaks around the MC today since I'm going on a small day trip. If I don't see anything then I'll take 2000_gold_taurus's advice and take my Bull to another mechanic later.

Most of our Tauruses have had a very slight leak from the rear seal on the mastercylinder. Do a degree this is rather normal on a lot of cars. The seal moves every single time you press the pedal. Watch your fluid closely. I replaced the master in my sable not so long ago due to an internal bypassing issue. 180 seems really quite expensive, I want to say mine was under $50 and I swapped it myself. It was quite rust jacked to the booster, took some fighting but it did come off eventually. If the booster is not physically wet with fluid I normally leave them, but keep a close eye on it. If it gets worse you better get it changed asap.