AKeternal

Working Out The Gremlins

Well, a week or so ago I posted asking what you guys knew about the 85' Mercury Grand Marquis 2dr, and I went ahead and went through with the deal, so I'm now the proud owner of this classic. :) I'll post pics after I give it a wash and wash and finish detailing the interior.

But, as always with getting old, used cars, especially ones you're not experienced with, there's a learning curve. For example, I've got plenty of experience with the EFI 302 in the 90's F150's, but I don't know too much about the TBI 302 in this hog.

So first question, The headlights. It has the fancy Auto Delay lights, and regardless of weither the switch is set to delay or off, when you pull the knob out all the way, the low beams don't turn on. But when you hit the high beams, all 4 lights light up, so I know the lights aren't out. But would it be a fuse somewhere, wiring, or just simply the switch is worn out, because of course the high beams come on when you hit them, even with the light knob all the way in. So just like how the old wiper motors would get messed up and not be able to go intermittent anymore, possibly just need a new switch?

Also, the fuel light came on on the dash, and it still has about a 1/4 tank on the gauge... Is the fuel light on the dash an indicator of a leak in the pressure of the system?

And there's a random pair of vacuum lines coming out of the fire wall into the engine bay, and one of them has vacuum when the engine is on, the other does not, but I have no clue where they're missing from, and they're likely important... (-.-)

Well, a week or so ago I posted asking what you guys knew about the 85' Mercury Grand Marquis 2dr, and I went ahead and went through with the deal, so I'm now the proud owner of this classic. :) I'll post pics after I give it a wash and wash and finish detailing the interior.

But, as always with getting old, used cars, especially ones you're not experienced with, there's a learning curve. For example, I've got plenty of experience with the EFI 302 in the 90's F150's, but I don't know too much about the TBI 302 in this hog.

So first question, The headlights. It has the fancy Auto Delay lights, and regardless of weither the switch is set to delay or off, when you pull the knob out all the way, the low beams don't turn on. But when you hit the high beams, all 4 lights light up, so I know the lights aren't out. But would it be a fuse somewhere, wiring, or just simply the switch is worn out, because of course the high beams come on when you hit them, even with the light knob all the way in. So just like how the old wiper motors would get messed up and not be able to go intermittent anymore, possibly just need a new switch?

Also, the fuel light came on on the dash, and it still has about a 1/4 tank on the gauge... Is the fuel light on the dash an indicator of a leak in the pressure of the system?

And there's a random pair of vacuum lines coming out of the fire wall into the engine bay, and one of them has vacuum when the engine is on, the other does not, but I have no clue where they're missing from, and they're likely important... (-.-)

As to the light, check them. If I remember, and that is weak, low beam bulbs where hi/lo and hi bulb hi only. So lo is one filiment in low bulb, hi is high in low and high bulb. This was a 4 bulb on bright, 2 bulb low filament only. The high bulb is 2 prong/one filament, the low bulb is 3 prong/ two filament.

As to TB is is just 2 injector fuel injection. One for 4 cylincers, one for 4 cylinders, just like 2 BBL carb. It injects above the throttle plate, just like a carb. Think of it as an electronic carb.

Ignition is most likely a big box on the fender. It has what looks like a dist but it is not. It only directs the spark to the right cylinder, it does not time the car, never try to adjust it. My '83 timed off a tone wheel on the crank, fixed, no adjust.

Best of luck with old school tec.

-chart-

As to the light, check them. If I remember, and that is weak, low beam bulbs where hi/lo and hi bulb hi only. So lo is one filiment in low bulb, hi is high in low and high bulb. This was a 4 bulb on bright, 2 bulb low filament only. The high bulb is 2 prong/one filament, the low bulb is 3 prong/ two filament. Likely your low bulbs have the low side burned out.

As to TB is is just 2 injector fuel injection. One for 4 cylincers, one for 4 cylinders, just like 2 BBL carb. It injects above the throttle plate, just like a carb. Think of it as an electronic carb.

Ignition is most likely a big box on the fender. It has what looks like a dist but it is not. It only directs the spark to the right cylinder, it does not time the car, never try to adjust it. My '83 timed off a tone wheel on the crank, fixed, no adjust.

Best of luck with old school tec.

-chart-

• Like 1

My '87s low fuel light sometimes lights up dim at half a tank. Then full blast at quarter tank. Just odd but I don't think it has anything to do with a fuel issue.

As I discovered in working on my cluster, my low fuel light will go on when the fuel gauge is removed from the vehicle. Perhaps the gauge itself is having issues and causing the light to go on?

The low beam portions of the bulbs might simply be burned out. Happened to my parents' Econoline once, both low beams went out at the same time.

The low fuel light is designed to come on when the fuel gauge gets to a certain point. Supposed to be 1/8 of a tank according to the manual, but Ford fuel gauges have never been known for accuracy. Mine has 6 gallons left at 1/8 on the gauge.

My '87s low fuel light sometimes lights up dim at half a tank. Then full blast at quarter tank. Just odd but I don't think it has anything to do with a fuel issue.

Well, I think you all are right then, at first I was thinking maybe it was a unsealed gas cap light like the never cars have, but I got gas and put it up above a 1/4 tank, and the light turned off. 

As far as the lights go, I'm gonna replace them probably Friday when I get my next check, but I really wish I could find some non-sealed beam headlights for it, anyone know of any? (-.-) Like some adapter kits or something, cuz I'd like to get LED bulb headlights for it.

Here's a thread from CVN talking about some sealed beam conversions and upgrades: http://www.crownvic.net/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2780414&page=1

Could be helpful in getting better output. Also, a 3G alternator upgrade is always a plus.

Also for the vacuum lines, I'm not sure if the earlier Boxes ever had this feature, but there was a automatic parking brake release available up until the mid-2000s for most civilian Panthers. Later Boxes did have it, and often due to age, the vacuum switch deteriorates, becomes useless, and makes your dash hiss when the engine is running. The switch can be replaced or the line coming from the firewall can be plugged, both of which will stop the issue. Pictures might help for this one.

• Like 1

Could be helpful in getting better output. Also, a 3G alternator upgrade is always a plus.

Also for the vacuum lines, I'm not sure if the earlier Boxes ever had this feature, but there was a automatic parking brake release available up until the mid-2000s for most civilian Panthers. Later Boxes did have it, and often due to age, the vacuum switch deteriorates, becomes useless, and makes your dash hiss when the engine is running. The switch can be replaced or the line coming from the firewall can be plugged, both of which will stop the issue. Pictures might help for this one.

I can post pics of those lines in the morning. But it sounds like that may be what they are for, because I do have the hiss under the dash while I'm driving, I'll try plugging them tomorrow and see if the hissing goes away. Thank you. :)

Here's a thread from CVN talking about some sealed beam conversions and upgrades: http://www.crownvic.net/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2780414&page=1

Ah, yes. The Hiss. Scarlett had that issue with the automatic parking brake release solenoid from when I first bought the car.