Sign in to follow this  
AKeternal

Mercury Grand Marquis

Hey guys, so a kid in my apartment complex is selling his 1985 Grand Marquis, for $700. It reminded me of the old 92' Town Car I had, so I'm kind've interested in it, especially for that price. Granted it definitely needs some cleaning up, but I've heard the 2 door versions were more rare because not many people wanted the 2 door version. Thoughts?

http://anchorage.craigslist.org/cto/4400200075.html

Could be good if cleaned up. Definitely needs its hood ornament back and some whitewalls. :thumbs:

The CFI system works well if all the vacuum lines are kept up, if not it'll run like a pig. If that is all good, it'll run fine, but be somewhat gutless. Makes for decent cruiser, but don't expect a race car.

A two-door makes it a bit more worth cleaning it up should it be deemed a reasonable fixer-upper. I'd suggest taking a look at it if you're interested.

Cool. Reminds me of my parents 81 Thunderbird. It had a slightly hopped up 302 from a mustang swapped in.

Looks pretty solid for the price. The two-door versions are becoming increasingly hard to find.

Go for it.

Anyone happen to know how much it might be worth If I buy it, clean it up outside, fix the broken glass, and bring full life back to the motor? Like how much it'd go for in excellent condition?

Cuz he wants a grand now because he replaced the starter, and I already have a 91' F150, my 05' Taurus, and my gf's Mitsubishi Outlander. I wanted to fix it up and have it replace her Outlander, but she'd prefer a newer car that isn't a boat. (I love those older boats. :P)

Maybe $1000-1500 if there are no big rot holes and the heat/air work. Tires should be passable too. Those cars are not really worth much unless in primo garage shape/condition. Demand will increase with time.

Well, it was a grandparent's car before the current owner bought it just recently. The only rust is some surface rust on the passenger door, and the hood ornament is in the glove box, just needs to be put back on the hood. Still has all the exterior trim too.

Heater works, A/C not sure, needs service I'm sure, A/C isn't used too often up here. Haha

It needs new struts pretty bad though, drove it today and it bounces, it's an extremely smooth ride, but it bounces like a boat. 

It has a rebuilt AOD in it as well and it shifts well, but when you let off the gas it feels like you tapped the brakes, any ideas on what that'd be? 

Shocks (these cars have never used struts) are easy and wouldn't take too much time, usually KYB Gas-A-Justs are the way to go to firm up the ride but not make it feel too stiff.

The tapping on the brakes feeling could be a dragging brake or the car engine brakes really well. I'd check to see if there was abnormal heat coming from one of the wheels to see if there was dragging.

The fact it also has a rebuilt AOD probably means that thing could last a while with some TLC on the rest of the car.