Sign in to follow this  
AKeternal

4Th Gen Possible Manual Swap?

So, just curious if any one has done the research on if the old MTX-IV manual transmission for the 2nd Gen SHO would possibly swap over to a 4th Gen? Or anyone know of an aftermarket manual transmission option, or even just some way to adapt the AX4N to be Tiptronic persay? 

Start in 1, shift to D, shift back to 1 and then back to D and then into OD. That's manual shifting on a ax4n. The 1 to D and back to 1 allows 2nd gear to be used.

MTX-75 from a Contour will bolt up. I don't know of any gen 4s converted except for a couple with earlier SHO drivetrains.

Start in 1, shift to D, shift back to 1 and then back to D and then into OD. That's manual shifting on a ax4n. The 1 to D and back to 1 allows 2nd gear to be used.

I had no idea! :o

I'll have to check that out, it'll definitely come in handy if it snows again this season, then next season. Like my old F150 with the R2 5-speed, I can take off in 2nd and minimize wheel slippage.

I'm not sure if it will hold in 2nd once you stop though. I've only done it while driving. It's a bit tricky too since there is a massive delay between changing the gear and the transmission actually shifting

So, just curious if any one has done the research on if the old MTX-IV manual transmission for the 2nd Gen SHO would possibly swap over to a 4th Gen? Or anyone know of an aftermarket manual transmission option, or even just some way to adapt the AX4N to be Tiptronic persay? 

Yes been done: http://www.taurusclub.com/forum/134-taurus-sable-project-log/179058-jatos-2006-se-mtx.html

MTX-75 from a Contour will bolt up. I don't know of any gen 4s converted except for a couple with earlier SHO drivetrains.

He has a Vulcan so he would want the MTX-IV

• Like 1

I had no idea! :o

I'll have to check that out, it'll definitely come in handy if it snows again this season, then next season. Like my old F150 with the R2 5-speed, I can take off in 2nd and minimize wheel slippage.

You can't launch the AX4N in 2nd. Below ~15 mph it forces 1st gear. The 1-D-1 switch lets you take off in 1st, switch to drive so 2nd engages then put the shifter back in 1st to hold it in 2nd gear. If you slow down enough it will downshift to 1st.

I've actually thought about designing some kind of interrupt switch in the cabin that is connected to the TRS that would prevent the PCM from telling the trans when to shift. I could then select the gear I want from inside effectively making my AX4N a manumatic.

That manual swap is absolutely beautiful... I wish he had a estimate on price and time that took... :P I'd have to drive my truck around for quite a while to do that swap, and even with the R2-5Speed in it, it's still quite a gas hog compared to the 32hwy mpgs I'm getting now. (-.-)

And I got my rig dyno'd the other day. 

In a 60F degree shop,

with no air pushing on my front air-dam intake pipe,

with 2" over sized tires,

with 2 partially clogged Cats,

and no 3rd Cat/ Resonator/ Muffler.

My car's top run at the wheels was 140Hp @ 4,600rpm                 (150Hp @ 4,900rpm stock rating)

160Ft-Lbs @ 4,000rpm           (180Ft-Lbs @ 4,000rpm stock rating)

And I feel the information given on stock ratings, is at the Crank and not the Wheels.

And a 9 year old motor, with 125,000miles, those numbers sound pretty good to me. And the power band is absolutely beautiful, this thing is all torque, all the time. :P Both myself and the shop was impressed with that.

The drop in torque vs stock is most likely from having to turn the over sized tires, the lower back pressure from straight piping, and somewhat worn torque strut etc.

Then take into account that outside right now in AK it's about 30F and on the hwy I have the force of air on the intake duct, so the numbers are likely higher on the road too. :)

And people say Modding a Taurus is stupid... :P

• Like 1