• Announcements

• Sean T.

Having trouble logging in after the update?   04/25/16

After the forum update, you need to use your displayed name as your login. Your password should remain the same. If you are still having trouble, please e-mail Sean at [email protected] and he can reset your password.
    • Sean T.

Help Support TSOC by Making a Donation!   01/29/17

TSOC is funded by donations only. The operating expenses for TSOC are about $320 annually for hosting, domains, and IP Board license renewals. Support from our members is greatly appreciated! As always, we are grateful for ANY and ALL donations! From $1.00 to $100.00, anything you give will support the forums and community experience. At any time, you are free to make a standard donation towards our operating expenses. Surplus funds will stay with the forum for next year, so even if it appears we have enough cash on hand, we're always in need of donations! When you make a donation towards our operating expenses, your membership will automatically upgrade based on your donation amount. (Please see the link below for more info)     Click HERE to learn more about our membership levels!  
    • Sean T.

!!! *** Known Issue for New Member Sign-Up *** !!!   04/20/17

It has been brought to our attention that new members are unable to sign up. Producing an error code EX1364. We are aware of the issue and are working to resolve it. In the mean time, if you encounter this error, please send a message using the "Contact Us" link at the bottom of the page, and we will contact you when it has been resolved.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Thub

Thub's 97 Sho

114 posts in this topic

So shiny and clean :D

I finished up work early today and since I couldn't be attendance for the southern meet I spent a little time detailing the SHO.  Washed, applied Meguiar's cleaner wax, and shined up the Precision Sports which always seem to get compliments for appearing so wide.  I also picked up a new windshield washer fluid supply hose from Ford, which was only $20, they claim it's an improved design over the original hose setup that always got brittle and cracked.  The vac hose repair just wasn't working any more and would fall apart every time the washer was run or the hood was opened.

I also got a few looks as I drove though the dealer lot, there was a guy looking at Fusions and another guy looking at a Mustang GT with a salesman, all 3 of them just paused and stared as the SHO slowly rumbled past.  I made sure to give them a good show as I pulled off that lot onto the main road.

I've found that Toreador Red pictures much better at dusk or when its overcast, the deep red doesn't really show when its in the full sun.

IMG_1733_zpsfj8zv7uv.jpg

IMG_1741_zpsce5ger9f.jpg

IMG_1745_zpsj9shjqqs.jpg

IMG_1746_zpsfdt5uksr.jpg

Disconnected the SAI pump, so no more annoying air pump running at startup.  And no I didn't just leave the wires hanging, I taped them up and zip tied them to the little bracket under the pump.

IMG_1018_zps857gtunv.jpg

That pump is a sought after item in tight emission control areas.

:makeadeal: To the highest bidder! :P

<wonders "how many have I tossed into the scrap pile">

I've sold several.

Got between 50.00 and 75.00 each, plus shipping.

No pump workie, no plates in northern Illinois. I'm sure California and New York are similar. And that pump is such a POS, it is lucky to find one still working, especially in the rust-belt.

I should never have to worry about emissions testing here, unless i register the car in Kenosha, Milwaukee, Ozaukee, Racine, Sheboygan, Washington or Waukesha county.

And I think with Collector Plates which I plan to get as soon as the car is eligible it would never need to be tested again since the registration never expires.

Winter oil change today for the SHO.  I was surprised I actually put over 5000 miles on since mid May, now over 165,500. 

Due to the holiday I can't register the Forester until next week so I'll have to keep driving the SHO for a few more days.  Did manage to get the insurance all set to kick in for the Forester next week and cancel on SHO the following.  Hopefully I can get a warmer day next week to wash the SHO and put it away for winter.  Then I'll get to enjoy my little AWD beater.

Nice, get that SHO off the road, can't afford to let it rust :icon_eek:

I know its a bit elaborate but the beast has been put to bed.  Centennial wheels were removed and chromies put back on.

I like using the tarp to prevent any moisture or water from getting under the car since our garage slab typically sweats. Then little salt deposits form and the salt gets everywhere.  People from the south may not understand that the combination of road salt and the typical Midwest humidity results in what is basically ocean air.  Its the worst when the temperature hovers right around freezing and there is more moisture in the air.

IMG_20151212_210451393_zpsbkqbnv2j.jpg

2 people like this

Did you put some damp dry under it too? Helps absorb moisture. Generally used in crawl spaces or basements.

Yes, thanks for the explanation because as a southerner I had no idea why you would cocoon your car.

1 person likes this

Agreed, the explanation was much needed, even as a north westerner! Haha

Edited by Josh_GL_Limited

I know its a bit elaborate but the beast has been put to bed.  Centennial wheels were removed and chromies put back on.

I like using the tarp to prevent any moisture or water from getting under the car since our garage slab typically sweats. Then little salt deposits form and the salt gets everywhere.  People from the south may not understand that the combination of road salt and the typical Midwest humidity results in what is basically ocean air.  Its the worst when the temperature hovers right around freezing and there is more moisture in the air.

I am OK with my cover, wife gave it to me for Christmas couple years back. I will not put a car inside my garage in winter. It sweats and if any salt/ice is on it, it warms up and falls off making the garage floor wet, salty, mess. Car sweats and all is just soggy. Outside it is frozen. No rust forms below freezing.

-chart-

post-1834-0-45025300-1450017684_thumb.jp

His methods are slightly insane, but the reasoning behind them is solid. :P

There are several reasons I wrap the entire car up, here are a few more.

1. A garage is a working place, it gets messy. In winter snow and slush and salt is dragged everywhere. No one is going to try and work around the car to keep that area free of snow and whatnot so why not just incase the car to prevent any dirt getting to it.

2. Frost...Like I explained about the slab sweating.  Most newer homes and buildings should all have insulated concrete slabs, our home is a bit older and does not.  So what happens when warm moist air comes in contact with a cold surface? Condensation.  It can get pretty wet when we have a warmer day, say 35 degrees and there is still several feet of frost in the ground.  I can see this as something that people who have lived in the south their entire life kinda look past. Then salty water is running all over from being dragged in by the other car and runs under the stored car, and since the underside of the car is steel and typically colder than the air temp, the salty water condenses on the cold car chassis. I'm not saying that the tarp creates a water/moisture tight barrier but it is 10x better than just parking the car on the bare concrete slab.

Chart's setup helps by not dragging the salty snow and slush into the garage but it is impracticable to park no other cars inside in winter, its a PITA and there is no room in the driveway to keep multiple cars and have access to all of them without moving another one.

I've decided not to garage my wagon for this winter. Oddly enough, the body corrosion that my '05 Taurus developed in the fender/rocker panel areas didn't even start until about a year after I bought my condo (in late 2010) and began parking it inside the concrete floored garage year-round. When I still lived at home with my parents, the Taurus was always parked outside in their driveway and it never showed signs of body rust... even after several nasty winters of snowfall and road salt exposure.

ThirdBull has to stay outside year round (The joy of apartment living). So far, little rust to be found, though I'm a tad suspicious of the rocker panels. 

When it snows here, as soon as the temps are up, we hit the car wash for a good rinse off. 

Its back, first start since early December.

2 people like this

You've had that car 3 years now? Always happy to see it with a owner that gives a dang about it.  It's getting the royal treatment.  Keep it going :-)

1 hour ago, Bull Geek said:

You've had that car 3 years now? Always happy to see it with a owner that gives a dang about it.  It's getting the royal treatment.  Keep it going :-)

Bought it from you March of 2014 so only a little over 2 years. I'm currently trying to pin down a guy in the area who has a red hood from a 96 SHO as a replacement to the Vulcan hood on the car, and it will need some suspension work, mainly the noisy rear strut mounts. Otherwise it runs and drives the same as it did when you sold it to me, in fact probably a little better since that replacement transmission has 60,000 less miles on it.

2 hours ago, Thub said:

Its back, first start since early December.

I need to chop the mufflers off of Barney

1 person likes this

3 hours ago, Josh_GL_Limited said:

I need to chop the mufflers off of Barney

Yes. Yes you do.

1 person likes this

9 hours ago, Angrod said:

Yes. Yes you do.

Loudest pink/purple Taurus on the face of the planet lol