ShelbyRacer78

Shelbyracer78's 2002 Mercury Sable Ls Premium (Allison)

Engine swap for a 5.0L Coyote. ;)

Or do the 5.4L Roush Nitemare conversion.

On topic: How exactly did you quiet the exhaust Mark? Sound deadening mats?

On topic: How exactly did you quiet the exhaust Mark? Sound deadening mats?

When I originally took out the 3rd cat I've always had a leak where I installed the flex pipe exhaust tubing. IMG_20150826_110948009.jpg

The flex piping could never get over the lip on the pipe that you see there^

IMG_20150826_130518171.jpg

So I got the death wheel out and cut about 90% of the lip off. 

IMG_20150826_124411880.jpg

Even got the stupid heat shield off too with the death wheel!

IMG_20150826_200035122.jpg

Now I know it doesn't look pretty BUT its super functional and super quiet. Since the lip was removed it allowed me to slide the flex-pipe over the original 3rd cat pipe farther than I ever could before, the grey putty looking stuff is "Steelstik" from Auto-zone. The steelsik is "sealing" where the biggest leak was. I have no clue how long it will last but I'm hoping its till I can afford to over-haul my exhaust system with more Magnaflow components....  

I'm still super impressed about how quiet the car is when I'm driving since there's no more leak at that point in the exhaust. 

Got my hands on a big boy camera and got some pictures of everyone's favorite black sable: 

IMG_5300.JPG

IMG_5293.JPG

IMG_5279.JPG

IMG_5262.JPG

I hope you guys like these!

Some bad news.... In my emissions class we diagnosed my P0420 that I would get every once and awhile. The bank 1 catalytic converter is not functioning as it should anymore. Now this doesn't mean the car is going anywhere... This does mean I get try out more mustang parts for my car! MIL Eliminators may find their way onto my car at some point....

A little too raspy for my taste but otherwise it sounds good! Why can't my Vulcan sound decent....

• Like 1

A little too raspy for my taste but otherwise it sounds good! Why can't my Vulcan sound decent....

The rasp is caused by my exhaust repair..... I'd like to install a little glasspack where the repair is instead.

New year, new mods already ordered! 

post-2386-0-39496500-1452047672_thumb.jp

Took the plasti-dip off the wheels, got tired of the black and now I miss the black wheel! Think I might get grey dip next time...

post-2386-0-62365200-1452047559_thumb.jp

Placed an order at TRS today and can't wait to get them here... Finally gonna finish up my HID shenanigans! 

• Like 2

Ladies and gentlemen, I give you Allison with a projector retrofit! Please excuse the passenger side headlight lens, I do have plans to get another one and fix the fogginess of it. 

IMG_20160109_152736804_HDR.jpg

The night time performance is insane now!

IMG_20160109_180832702_HDR.jpg

The projectors give off a perfect cutoff line with some color flaring as well. 

IMG_20160109_180951854.jpg

I am in love with these lights, for me it was the best $45 I ever spent. My total time for taking the headlights apart, retrofitting them, and resealing them was about 6 hours give or take. Still I am very happy doing this and recommend doing it if you want HIDs. 

Here's the retrofit done!!

I used the Cheapo-motos from TRS with the mini gatling gun shrouds, Moroimoto XB 5500k bulbs, some already owned Kensun 35 watt ballasts and 9007 Kensun harness.

The "Cheapo-moto projectors"

mIc6kPB.jpg

mxOWOpi.jpg

Cheapo-moto with the shroud on loosely

hzXvJ8j.jpg

The headlights that are in to get retrofitted...

E86e1Xa.jpg

I had these headlights open before to paint the inner chrome parts and sealed them back up with black silicon. Helped make getting them back open easier IMO.

hMoV1YA.jpg

In order to get the locking nut on the reflector bowl I did have to trim off some of the plastic where the 9007 bulb was mounted. Used a dremel with a cut off wheel to do that. I did have to cut the connector off to feed the wiring threw the screw hole that held the reflector tab thingy in.

k3QeWvP.jpg

Here's everything in loosely again.

tCTENMl.jpg

Here's some bench testing the projector and the H1 HID bulb. Side note: yellow blanket is passenger side, blue blanket is driver side.

Zd40wbz.jpg

Here's resoldering the connector back on. I did the same thing for the driver side headlight as you see here with the passenger side.

wLWhJBs.jpg

Some on car testing here!

rPKMHhm.jpg

Output from on car testing onto a garage door, As you can see here, I got the rotation of the projector spot on just from eye-balling it!

8v9CSeX.jpg

Resealing both headlights, I used the same black silicon from when I opened them up before. (please excuse hazy passenger side lens)

QpXqalF.jpg

Final install onto the car!

j0tkzCF.jpg

It looks so good!!!

5AAGIQ1.jpg

Here's the low beam output from both installed

lauGYGu.jpg

Night output from the new high beam!

Lo5hYY4.jpg

Up close with the cutoff line, I'm really happy with the performance of these "cheapo-moto" projectors!

Edited by ShelbyRacer78
  • Like 3

After messing with the bulb placement onto the bulb holder, I got MUCH better output from the projectors. Here's the new on road output: 

88303hx.jpg

Low Beam

C0APl8D.jpg

High Beam

• Like 1

It was Allison's 14th birthday over the weekend and I got her a present. One LED compatible flasher relay. I was so done with the stupid LED resistors that I had installed when I first put the LED bulbs in. 

C6cWfgb.jpg  

Relay info

Go99LPq.jpg

Removed resistors 

Overall this is a fantastic purchase and I STRONGLY advise anyone else who wants LED signal lights to get the relay instead of the resistors. 

• Like 1

Welp, one of the Hella yellow fog light bulbs failed last week and now the OEM GE bulbs are back in there till I decide what I'm doing for replacement bulbs...

TJmCcTW.jpg

Edited by ShelbyRacer78
  • Like 1

Welp, one of the Hella yellow fog light bulbs failed last week and now the OEM GE bulbs are back in there till I decide what I'm doing for replacement bulbs...

TJmCcTW.jpg

I'm surprised you don't catch any slack for having your amber lights white . . .

Btw, what kind of headlights are those?

Edited by IanDMacDonald
  • Like 1

I'm surprised you don't catch any slack for having your amber lights white . . .

Btw, what kind of headlights are those?

The amber lights in my headlights are what are known as switchback LEDs. The produce a white light when in running/park mode, and "turn mode" they turn amber when you use the turn signal. The headlights are a one off, I made them myself. I'd love to build another set if someone wants to pay for them...

Most states probably don't even have laws pertaining to the color of a vehicles parking lights/turn signals, so long as they aren't red or blue.  I see tons of GM vehicles that were equipped with amber DRLs/turn signals and have been replaced with clear bulbs, making for a "white" turn signal.  Its not the proper bulb but in most cases its not in violation of any regulation or law.

First of many things to be added to this car was installed today! Now I know I have the whole Bluetooth audio input thing but you just can't beat the sound quality of some good old CDs. I had to add the power and ground wires for it to work since someone cut those off... Otherwise everything was plug and play! I gotta say CD audio vs BT audio, CD wins hands down. 

JTNUalJ.jpg

I have finally installed a mod that I have waited 2 years to buy and install. 

iRYAXqV.jpg

The brake light for the spoiler is not currently wired into the OEM wiring, but that's for a later date. 

• Like 1