Shelbyracer78's 2002 Mercury Sable Ls Premium (Allison)

• Replies 499
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I like those rounders They really make the car look a lot better. Now you better burn off whats left of the old tires with multiple neutral drops

I like it when I take my car for inspection or tires.   "What color is it?"   "Maroon" since I can't say Merlot, they wouldn't understand,   *tech writes "RED" on the sheet*

Good job mark! Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

Posted Images

What exactly do you mean by 'your third cat is toast'? I'm failing to see how pulling the O2 sensor that monitors your bank two cat performance would lead to a conclusion that the third cat (which is not monitored on these cars) is to blame. If your O2 sensors are good and pulling the bank 2 post-cat sensor changed the engine behavior, my guess would be that your bank two cat is bad.
The accordion flex pipe won't hold up for long. I'm with Angrod, I don't see the connection to the third cat. If the cat was plugged, car would run bad either way. A P0420 or P0430 code would point to a failing cat or old downstream sensors, but engine should continue to run fine.
The cat itself wasn't broken up at all, it was gummed up blocking the exhaust flow. Also I'm gonna be talking to a college friend who might be able to weld up a better fix than what I did... Edited by ShelbyRacer78
I kinda get the idea of removing the upstream O2 sensor but I really don't know if a little tiny port like that can relieve that much back pressure. If the cat were really bad you wouldn't be able to get the car above 30mph.

The 3rd cat is basically useless on our cars but since it is "part of the emission system" and you live out east in a state that feels the need to "look" at your car, good luck getting a shop to cut it off and weld in a straight pipe. Only way that is being cut out is if you do it yourself or someone you know or find a "chop shop" to do it for cash.

http://instagram.com/p/ycw2WVGbsi/

This a little clip of the o2 sensor out

Sent from my Droid Turbo

• 3 weeks later...

Little update here: car is running great ever since the cat was removed, I hit the big 180k milestone, got an oil change done after that, and I need to get the brakes done soon (E-Brake light is on since there low fluid in the MC). There might be a surprise for Allison coming soon and a surprise in what brakes I'm getting.  

• 4 weeks later...
God I have been slacking here... ANYWAYS, onto the things that have happened so far. I am 50% done with the taillight bulb rebuild and still getting parts for the brakes to get done also got some switchback LEDs for the front. Here's a video about what's happened so far and future plans:  

Some pics of my new switchback from lights:  

IMG_20150316_142049154_HDR.jpg

Amber^

2015-03-16.jpg

White^

Edited by ShelbyRacer78
  • Like 1

Your front and rear turn signals are out of sync.  The one led must cycle on and off much quicker, that would drive me crazy.

• Like 1

Your front and rear turn signals are out of sync.  The one led must cycle on and off much quicker, that would drive me crazy.

I saw that too...Remember I'm only 50% done with replacing the bulbs in the taillights. 

Got the brakes installed!! I went with EBC green stuff for the front pads and new rotors and Wagner "quick-stop" rear shoes with new drums. 

IMG_20150320_162606467.jpg

IMG_20150320_162615248.jpg

Car stops on a dime now, I can't believe the pedal feel now. 

• Like 1

post-2386-14273088523663_thumb.jpg

Got new tire valve stems, I have a friend who works at a Porsche dealer and remembered I needed new stems and got me these for $20.

Sent from my Droid Turbo

• 2 weeks later...
Over Easter weekend I took my own car down to Delaware, saw my family, met up with some other members too! 

IMG_20150404_130450608.jpg

When I got back I saw I got to another milage milestone. 

IMG_20150407_120837874.jpg

Allison ran perfect going to and coming back, I can't wait for my next road-trip with this car!

Ordered a set of 35 watt, 5000k HIDs. Should be here tomorrow for installation... Now with that said, I'll be aiming the lights again. I'm hoping to match my switchbacks and get better lighting output. 

Ordered a set of 35 watt, 5000k HIDs. Should be here tomorrow for installation... Now with that said, I'll be aiming the lights again. I'm hoping to match my switchbacks and get better lighting output. 

Prepare for extremely white light.  My friend has 5000k HIDs on his Prizm and wow its white light.

If your switchbacks LEDS are 5000K, in an ideal world they should match.  The HIDs will be extremely blue when they first fire up and then warm up to a very intense white, no blue in them at all.

I was looking for a picture of them on his Prizm but I can't find one.

May I ask what brand you choose. I think he has a kit from Morimoto.

• Like 1

I went a set from OPT7 from amazon, payed $60 with free shipping. Comes with a 2 year warranty. 

I know the Morimoto kit was more like $150 or so and I think it had a 5 year warranty.  He's very happy with it.  I think he's had them for around 8 months now with no issues.

I know the Morimoto kit was more like $150 or so and I think it had a 5 year warranty.  He's very happy with it.  I think he's had them for around 8 months now with no issues.

Was his retrofit kit? When we used to have the Prizm I replaced the headlight bulbs with Philips CrystalVision Ultra's and it made quite the difference. The two bulbs that came out didn't match, and I have a feeling that one of them was original...

Was his retrofit kit? When we used to have the Prizm I replaced the headlight bulbs with Philips CrystalVision Ultra's and it made quite the difference. The two bulbs that came out didn't match, and I have a feeling that one of them was original...

No the kit he got was just bulbs, ballasts, the controller unit, and bulb "shades" to address the HID glare issue.

No the kit he got was just bulbs, ballasts, the controller unit, and bulb "shades" to address the HID glare issue.

Any comments on how the glare is without a retrofit? The standard headlight setup and light output in that generation Prizm/Corolla is pretty poor.

There is some glare but after aiming the headlights it's not bad. We did several passes (I drove one way and him the other) on a 2 lane road in the middle of the night and I wasn't irritated by the lights anymore than regular stock halogens.

Well, the HID kit isn't really working out right. So I'm using the warranty that I got with it to get it working right. If I can't them working right then I'll return the kit and try out some Sylvania ZXEs or GE Nighthawk Xenon's. (Most likely the ZXE's....)