Shelbyracer78's 2002 Mercury Sable Ls Premium (Allison)

Bank 2 sensor 1 - the pre cat oxygen sensor.  This is the O2 sensor green clip connector right next to the radiator fans.  Check this.  Your car is running super lean on this bank...you really need to address this, not good to drive a car with it leaning out like this.  Maybe you have a leaky manifold gasket, injector o-ring...maybe even a camshaft/valve cover gasket.

But since you also have both codes telling you issues on Bank 2 (cyl 4-6), and car is leaning out, I would be inclined to possibly check the precat o2 sensor if you haven't already.  o2s can fail lean.

I haven't read all the thread to see what all you've done to the car, so consider all this in short: leaky injector o-ring, leaky manifold gasket (upper or lower), pre cat bank 2 o2 sensor (right next to rad fans).

• Replies 499
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I like those rounders They really make the car look a lot better. Now you better burn off whats left of the old tires with multiple neutral drops

I like it when I take my car for inspection or tires.   "What color is it?"   "Maroon" since I can't say Merlot, they wouldn't understand,   *tech writes "RED" on the sheet*

Good job mark! Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

Posted Images

Bank 2 sensor 1 - the pre cat oxygen sensor.  This is the O2 sensor green clip connector right next to the radiator fans.  Check this.  Your car is running super lean on this bank...you really need to address this, not good to drive a car with it leaning out like this.  Maybe you have a leaky manifold gasket, injector o-ring...maybe even a camshaft/valve cover gasket.

But since you also have both codes telling you issues on Bank 2 (cyl 4-6), and car is leaning out, I would be inclined to possibly check the precat o2 sensor if you haven't already.  o2s can fail lean.

I haven't read all the thread to see what all you've done to the car, so consider all this in short: leaky injector o-ring, leaky manifold gasket (upper or lower), pre cat bank 2 o2 sensor (right next to rad fans).

Nick, I did the upper and lower intake gaskets (with Fel-Pros) yesterday and I can't find any vacuum leaks now, What should the O2 sensor voltage be if it is leaning out? 

I checked both upper 02 sensors and found that the one in question is topping out at 0.16v and the other upper sensor is topping out at 0.86v. I'm thinking the O2 sensor is junk....

I checked both upper 02 sensors and found that the one in question is topping out at 0.16v and the other upper sensor is topping out at 0.86v. I'm thinking the O2 sensor is junk....

0.2 is lean 0.8 is rich. They should swing back and forth.

Added a pic of my recording from carchip, which is a background of how mine look when OK. Reference.

-chart-

I suggest you replace both upstream sensors. Be sure to disconnect the battery before installation.

FWIW the later oval port Duratec intake gaskets are not as prone to failure as are the earlier split port gaskets.

Any tips on replacing the O2 Sensors? Also I ordered Bosch sensors if anyone wanted to know. And I reinstalled the Hitachi IAC and it works just like the Motorcraft one I have as a spare. 

Run the car just long enough to get the pipes warm before you remove the O2 sensors. Less chance of pulling the threads out of the bung that way. Otherwise, it's pretty straightforward.

Jeff

• Like 1

Installed the one offending o2 sensor. Got the old one out without a fight somehow. Pulled out an NTK and installed a Bosch. Here a pic of the old one:

10863659_10203592313073065_1833629955_n.

Even after installing this and leaving the battery undone for over 1 hour, I still have NO power over 4k rpm and not sure where to go next. 

Edited by ShelbyRacer78

How old is your fuel filter? Also, have you checked your MAF lately? Could pull the cord to the MAF and if the car runs differently in the safe mode, could be an offender. I had that issue on my old Contour with power loss.

How old is your fuel filter? Also, have you checked your MAF lately? Could pull the cord to the MAF and if the car runs differently in the safe mode, could be an offender. I had that issue on my old Contour with power loss.

I did the filter about 2 weeks ago along with cleaning the MAF. I got the hub done on saturday as well. 

Just because it's cleaned out doesn't mean it's performing 100% I've experienced. Bring it over here so I can park my 02 next to your 02 Sable, and we can try my MAF on it :P

Or, the other thought: Is your fuel pump pushing out as much gas as it should?

• Like 1

I did the filter about 2 weeks ago along with cleaning the MAF.

Did you check the voltage output of the MAF? I can't remember what it's supposed to be since I don't have any shop manuals that new, but I did it on the CVPI and I do recall that it took several cleanings to get the output back into spec.

Christmas came for Allison a few days late for her. She got a bluetooth adapter for the aux jack and some vinyl wrap to finish the interior too. 

IMG_20141229_125516907_HDR.jpg

ICP will be done later 

And here's a video on how I did the BT install:

There actually is a another input on our radios, it comes up as "phone" on the ICP display. 1 member on this forum to my knowledge uses a Bluetooth adapter to connect their phone to the cars audio system to take phone calls.

• Like 1

Good job scratching the heck out of your wood trim...wow.  Don't drag car components all over the plastics scratching them up if you want to keep them looking nice.

Cheap price for Bluetooth - Taurus does have a phone protocol I'd love to know more about/learn more about for future reference.

• Like 1

Good job scratching the heck out of your wood trim...wow.  Don't drag car components all over the plastics scratching them up if you want to keep them looking nice.

Cheap price for Bluetooth - Taurus does have a phone protocol I'd love to know more about/learn more about for future reference.

Not sure what scratches you mean. I see some reflections but that's it.  :dunno:

And what is with this phone protocol stuff?

• Like 2

Well, I had wired a Parrot hands-free Bluetooth kit into my '05 stereo a couple years ago; I assume that’s what those guys are referring to.

I used one pin found on the back of every ICP that was used for the factory car phone package, which displays CALL on the stereo screen instead of a radio station when it gets grounded out. Then, you would simply need to wire the stereo speakers to be the output for call sound and add a Bluetooth phone device with its own microphone as the input.

Call, that's what the ICP displays, either way I thought it was cool. If your in the car enough and making calls its a nice setup.

• Like 1