• Announcements

• Sean T.

Having trouble logging in after the update?   04/25/16

After the forum update, you need to use your displayed name as your login. Your password should remain the same. If you are still having trouble, please e-mail Sean [email protected] and he can reset your password.
    • Sean T.

Help Support TSOC by Making a Donation!   01/29/17

TSOC is funded by donations only. The operating expenses for TSOC are about $320 annually for hosting, domains, and IP Board license renewals. Support from our members is greatly appreciated! As always, we are grateful for ANY and ALL donations! From $1.00 to $100.00, anything you give will support the forums and community experience. At any time, you are free to make a standard donation towards our operating expenses. Surplus funds will stay with the forum for next year, so even if it appears we have enough cash on hand, we're always in need of donations! When you make a donation towards our operating expenses, your membership will automatically upgrade based on your donation amount. (Please see the link below for more info)     Click HERE to learn more about our membership levels!  
    • Sean T.

!!! *** Known Issue for New Member Sign-Up *** !!!   04/20/17

It has been brought to our attention that new members are unable to sign up. Producing an error code EX1364. We are aware of the issue and are working to resolve it. In the mean time, if you encounter this error, please send a message using the "Contact Us" link at the bottom of the page, and we will contact you when it has been resolved.
ShelbyRacer78

Shelbyracer78's 2002 Mercury Sable Ls Premium (Allison)

482 posts in this topic

After many weeks and many test drives, I finally have another bull. Here is my "new" 2002 Mercury Sable LS Premium "Sport". It has many factory options, but the ones I would need to add and some rough edges too. The mileage is on the high side, over 166,XXX miles. It came from the dealership with with Taurus rims with shot tires. So I picked up a "new" Sable rim, (matched balanced at college, no weights on the face of the wheel) we put my wheels and tires on it as well. I also swapped over my dipped spear for the chrome one. I hope I can finish making this Sable a true "sport" before I see it go. 

IMG_20140227_154052.jpg

IMG_20140227_154039.jpg

IMG_20140226_173858.jpg

IMG_20140226_174029.jpg

The first mod done to the new car: 

A full detail will becoming in the spring (WHEN ITS FU*KING WARM OUT!!!!).

Wow, it looks awesome! Congrats on the purchase! I know it's been a long-time coming.

I 'Fax'd so many damn Sables for this kid... :P

Glad that you found the right replacement car. :)

1 person likes this

I 'Fax'd so many damn Sables for this kid... :P

Glad that you found the right replacement car. :)

Brian I can't thank you enough for the help you gave us finding another car. And thanks!

1 person likes this

I can't wait to see this car in person... all buffed and shined up! Warm weather must come.

Very clean car Mark, I know I had my doubts at the beginning but it's looking great!

Washed it today and did an oil change 3 days ago. Also changed out the driver's chrome door pull (broken) for the from Ashley (pristine condition).

Edited by ShelbyRacer78

Vulcan VS. Duratec (My comparison report)

From what I can remember about the Vulcan is that that engine had a VERY nice pull from a dead stop compared to the Duratec off the line the vulcan is better (maybe its the gearing). BUT when getting to a higher speed faster the Tec wins hands down (4 cams, higher redline). For top end power the Tec wins here too, since the Vulcan has HUGE power loss after 5k and the Tec keeps going till 6k. For the everyday Commuter Culture person there is no "REAL" difference maybe one driver sees a faster pull from 45-70 (Tec VS. Vulcan). The tec is happy to tach up and down all day, where as the vulcan wants to stay at the lower end of the rev range. 5k and ALL power is gone with the vulcan. The tec has used its torque band (4500 RPM) it still has some HP to carry it to the redline (just over 6k) though. The Vulcan's torque band though uses it in tandem with its HP band thus the 5k+ power loss. That's just my take on the Vulcan VS. Duratec debate. 

When it comes to replacing alternators, though, there is a clear winner. :ph34r:

2 people like this

The reason the Vulcan makes power at lower rpm's is the OHV design. Every OHC vehicle I have driven has no power down low whereas OHV's have lots of low end grunt. I'm not sure why this is but it has been true in every case I have experienced.

And you are right; the Vulcan does run out of power at 5k. This is more because of poor intake design than anything else imo. If the intake was redesigned to maximize airflow it would make power at higher engine speeds similar to the 'Tec.

The reason the Vulcan makes power at lower rpm's is the OHV design. Every OHC vehicle I have driven has no power down low whereas OHV's have lots of low end grunt. I'm not sure why this is but it has been true in every case I have experienced.

And you are right; the Vulcan does run out of power at 5k. This is more because of poor intake design than anything else imo. If the intake was redesigned to maximize airflow it would make power at higher engine speeds similar to the 'Tec.

Well maybe: "Every OHC vehicle I have driven has no power down low"

Come take a test drive in my Intech. It's troque is basically flat from 2k to 6K. My tecs build and build as the rpm runs up, so much so it is easy to feel the increase.

In the case of the Intech, lots of cubes and they then take away from the peak torque to flatten it. However for me, it has too much torque for the car's light weight.

In design they can make the torque down low, or up high depending on cam, and intakes. The Essex is an example of designing for massive torque down low and very limited rpm and torque fall off. Nice comfortable in the driving range. The Vulcan is typical old school pushrod low-mid range torque from very basic engine design When Ford came out with the Taurus in '86 they had many risks in the body, and suspension as well as customer appeal, they took no chances with the engine. Much of it is taken right out of the small block V-8. Oh yes they moved the dist and oil pump but that is about all. Multiport injection was well done. It's solid low risk design shows in it's life cycle of years. Ford has seen the example of GM too fast to market with too much change.

I have 2 tecs in Sables, not by choice but by: (that was what was there) in used vehicles.

-chart-

The explorers 4.0l sohc has tons of low end power, I'd say you can really feel the torque hit at a tad over 3000rpm, but between 3000 and 4500 is where the magic happens on the 4.0l. It may seem high but there is tons more useable power down low when compared to the duratec. I'm sure the extra liter of displacement comes in handy at the bottom of the rev range. Normal driving it does feel like a dog, but if you hit the right gear, combined with the 3.73 gears it has, the thing will pull pretty good.

That was just my take on the Vulcan VS. Duratec, Thub your right on about the 4.0L in the exploders. Brian, I'm sure WE all know which one is easier to do an alternator on! Angrod, I'm glad we see the same thing in the Vulcan. Chart I would LOVE to drive that Intech V8 sometime (Come to Carlsile this year with it!!!).

ANYWAYS, I need to get a new IAC, cleaning and clearing didn't work.

The 02-03 Explorer Sports had Chrome "Sport" badges IIRC... I'd rather take one of those than the red and white, but that's a matter of taste...

The 02-03 Explorer Sports had Chrome "Sport" badges IIRC... I'd rather take one of those than the red and white, but that's a matter of taste...

Maybe I'll get those for the doors....

Still running/not crashed?

1 person likes this

Still running/not crashed?

Yes Sam.....

Good!

The 02-03 Explorer Sport badges usually have "XLT" on them as well, IIRC.

Only the 2003 "sport" emblems say xlt. I know it was a 1 year thing.

^Explorer Geek

:-P :)

1 person likes this

^Explorer Geek

:-P :)

When you own one you have to know the details and history.

1 person likes this

Nick should now go by PantherGeek. ;)

1 person likes this

NEW MOD, I now have dual 12v power outlets 

IMG_20140309_154128.jpg

IMG_20140309_133427.jpg

Oh and this happened: 

IMG_20140305_202353.jpg 

I really need a new IAC though.

I also got this: 

IMG_20140303_154214.jpg

ITS SOOO MINT!!!!!!