TaurusKev

From Australia To Illinois! The Journey, Of Power Folding Mirrors

So after finding out how awesome power folding mirrors are, I went to ebay.com.au, searched Taurus, and found some guy who was parting out a Taurus in Australia. I sent him a message, asking if he'd post to the US, ofc he would, if the price is right. So, a bunch of convos were went, and we agreed on a price for left/right mirrors + Switch, and the money was sent. And within a week (TNT Shipping is very fast International...)

And today, my beauties arrive, in some dirty shape, and hidden surprise, see if you can't find it :)

P7231196.jpg

All three together.

P7231197.jpg

P7231198.jpg

Harness, 7 out of the 8 are used... Odd...

P7231199.jpg

Backside

P7231200.jpg

Found on bottom of mirrors

P7231201.jpg

Piece of tape to cover screws

P7231203.jpg

P7231204.jpg

A peek between the mirror body, and the mirror glass (Hidden surprise anyone?)

And switch:

P7231205.jpg

P7231206.jpg

Two road blocks:

1. I don't have pigtail harnesses. So I will have to scout some junkyards for some Gen3's, and maybe rig a harness for the mirror switch

2. I don't have a single wiring diagram, so this will all have to be tested, then make my own wiring diagrams. Mitchell OnDemand 5 only shows US version, which obviously never had power folding...

Now I must strip these, then get them to the body shop to get a nice coat of Windveil Blue + Getting my SHO Sideskirts painted.

So then I Will have parts from:

Gen 4 LS/SEL's (Multiples)

Gen 3 LX

Gen 3 SHO Cloth Seats

Gen 3 Taurus Ghia

Gen 2 SHO ATX Cooler

Ahhh, what a great Taurus SE she'll be :wub:

Edited by TaurusKev

this is a great project and something i was thinking about in the future but i am glad you are going to be pioneering it lol.

try checking in chilton/haynes manuals at the wiring diagrams for some reason the book i have for my contour has mondeo wiring diagrams in it instead of contour ones...

would this be plug and play for Gen 3 Taurus then.If it involves wiring then I won't worry about it.

Also this wouldn't happen to be the same person would it.parting out Taurus

Edited by Coreyp

Probably a bit rewiring for the Power Folding feature.

And as for the Chilton's, they have US info. The Contour, was pretty much the Mondeo :P

So Haynes went cheap on that, and pretty much just copied it over.

would this be plug and play for Gen 3 Taurus then.If it involves wiring then I won't worry about it.

Also this wouldn't happen to be the same person would it.parting out Taurus

Nope

Look at the listing.

" ******** THIS AUCTION IS FOR A LIGHT BULB ONLY **************** "

Wha--?

You could probability just get the door harness along with the mirrors and switch and then all would be needed is to add pins to the body side door connector.That would probably work for Gen 3 Taurus anyway.

This is going to be an awesome summer for doing projects on that SE. B)

Oh, yeah... that's a nice job promoting Comcast in this thread, Kevin. ^_^ Very subtle.

Probably a bit rewiring for the Power Folding feature.

And as for the Chilton's, they have US info. The Contour, was pretty much the Mondeo :P

which is dumb because even though thte cars are basically the same the wiring is very different

Hidden surprise some form of Aussie wildlife?

My mirrors, handbrake, and single cup holder console insert are on their way from New Zealand. I'm not sure of the color yet, never asked.

Kev, are your mirrors 96 Willow Green at the moment?

Not cheap but for anyone interested.

http://www.kool-vue.com/lookup_details.aspx?make=FORD&model=TAURUS&id=2005&pg=1

Nice find Kevin. Can't wait to see these installed. Now just need some G4 nonUS taillights.

The Contour, was pretty much the Mondeo :P

Haynes is a British outfit, they may have figured it was the same car and just sent it out re-covered without checking.

Is it written in British English? Our Haynes manual for the Rabbit diesels was full of phrases like "slacken the pipe union at the fuel injector" and "remove the injector with a 22mm ring spanner."

Haynes is a British outfit, they may have figured it was the same car and just sent it out re-covered without checking.

Is it written in British English? Our Haynes manual for the Rabbit diesels was full of phrases like "slacken the pipe union at the fuel injector" and "remove the injector with a 22mm ring spanner."

our manual was fine no odd phrases or anything. some of the pictures were of american contours and some were mondeos. our old taurus one used contour/mondeo pics for the duratec...

Edited by Vash

They are Medium Willow Green mirrors, Eric. The surprise is that those are covertly-unmarked heated mirrors. :mellow: Who knew that Australia actually has winters?

Come to think of it, there was also a spider in there. :ph34r:

So they are heated, power folding mirrors!? Woah cool! We should get thesavo in here...he can find out what the connector type is and you'll be in business!. That's very cool BTW Kevin, nice man!

And to add to the foreign-ness, the left-side mirror glass appears to be convex. Makes sense for countries with RHD and LH traffic, I suppose.

!?!?QUESTION!?!?Why the hell would you have needed heated power mirrors in Australia? :smiley5:

Because of the wallabies? :dunno:

I would think it gets cold enough to frost there... In fact now is their cold season!

!?!?QUESTION!?!?Why the hell would you have needed heated power mirrors in Australia? :smiley5:

Right now (late afternoon) it is only in the low 50s

All the cars are Japanese, to my knowledge. I've got pix of all the underhood stickers.

Kev - I don't know what color my mirrors are - never asked, but the car I'm putting them on is my Medium Willow Green 96. Would you be interested in swapping folding mirrors with me as you are going to strip yours anyhow? It would save me the trouble of stripping and repainting.

I'm going out of the country for a week or so and might be hard to get ahold of, but I expect my shipment in some time next week if you are interested.

LMK - [email protected]

Australia might have heated mirrors because I am betting they still get fog? I know my mirrors sometimes fog up in Illinois in the summer. Defrost works great.

Zenriddles, if yours are in good shape, with heated too, I'll swap. Mine are in pretty rough shape cosmetically, I'd still get it painted either way. They probably drove it in the outback a few times :P

Australia has 4 seasons like the Northern hemispheres :)

snow-canberra-australia-3.jpg

:blink: