njackson580

My 2 Cents On The Big 3

So I've been perusing the forum and came across Brian_sel05 link here: http://www.taurusowners.com/index.php?/topic/129-Big-3-Upgrade

Post #25

I noticed there was a lot of questions regarding the mega fuse and how to run the new big gauge wire. The thread is rightfully locked, but I'd like to share how I did mine.

zetarupe.jpg

You can see I left the factory wire there, nearly untouched. I ran the new wire right alongside it, bypassing the mega fuse, with an inline 250 amp fuse, to the battery.

I just finished this project, and added a 220 amp alt from DBelectrical just over this weekend (while I had the front end apart to rebuild). Everything seems to be running well. I've had my scanner on it, watching everything, and all seems to be doing well. My big power sound system is sounding more like the day I installed it again.

If anybody can tell me how this is wrong, please, inform me. But as of so far, it's running wonderfully.

I ran my wire the same way, only I used a second stock power wire from a scrapped car and ran it parallel with the original wire, keeping the mega fuse in place.

I added a 4g ground from the battery to the chassis and another from the battery to the engine block. Amps are grounded to the rear center seat belt bolt. Keep the amp ground less than 18" to prevent ground loop noise.

I read the title and thought you were giving your impressions of Ford, GM and Chrysler. :icon_lol:

Haha johntaurus, sorry for the confusion!

But just so we're clear: I much prefer my 2 clean Ford products over Mostly Old Parts And Rust. And only little boys wear Bowties. ;-)

• Like 2

I ran the power the same way only used 1/0 gauge Tsunami wire with a 250A ANL fuse. Love the results. How did u run the power to the amp? Just curious. Instead of going through the firewall, I ran it into the driver door jam and into the grommet leading into the cabin of the vehicle. Found this to be a lot easier than trying to find the steering column grommet.

BTW I have a FI Q12 running off a Hifonics BRX2000.D in a 2.3 cu/ft custom box tuned to 32Hz made by yours truly. Using 1400 continuous at 1 ohm. Got a DDIN JVC deck w/ Bluetooth and (3) 4V preouts. Boston acoustics 6" components running off of an Elemental Designs Nine.4 @ 2 ohm. Sub hit 142.7dB at 38Hz

Whats your idle voltage with that alternator? And what RPM do you idle at with the engine warm?

I ran the power the same way only used 1/0 gauge Tsunami wire with a 250A ANL fuse. Love the results. How did u run the power to the amp? Just curious. Instead of going through the firewall, I ran it into the driver door jam and into the grommet leading into the cabin of the vehicle. Found this to be a lot easier than trying to find the steering column grommet.

BTW I have a FI Q12 running off a Hifonics BRX2000.D in a 2.3 cu/ft custom box tuned to 32Hz made by yours truly. Using 1400 continuous at 1 ohm. Got a DDIN JVC deck w/ Bluetooth and (3) 4V preouts. Boston acoustics 6" components running off of an Elemental Designs Nine.4 @ 2 ohm. Sub hit 142.7dB at 38Hz

Out of curiosity was that measured on a Term Lab meter?

Edited by adio

I've got my Big 3 (4... i added 2 grounds on the engine) wiring hooked to my primary battery, with 4G wire into a 200 amp manual isolator, running back to my secondary battery in the trunk, then 4G from my secondary battery to reach of my amps. I'm running a 4 channel digital series amp and a mono block digital series amp pushing roughly 900 total rms watts and about 2000 peak. Just a couple weeks away from ordering a new mono amp that will nearly double those numbers.

As far as getting the wire into the cabin, just behind the strut on both sides of the firewall is an open hole. It enters the cabin just above the CJB/GEM. Had to pull a couple things out to get to it the first time, now I can do it blind with everything still intact.

Whats your idle voltage with that alternator? And what RPM do you idle at with the engine warm?

My warm idle is roughly 660 rpm. Unfortunately I have 0 charge at idle due to a PCM issue. I've tested the alternator and can peg it at 13 volts regardless of engine speed, and no matter how big of a load I put on it, it won't budge off that number. Otherwise it takes about 1200 rpm to get to full charge voltage of 14.2 to 14.5.

Yes it was measured on my friends dual mic TermLab Mic. BTW I also used his HiFonics BRX2400.1D. Hit 142.7dB  @ 38Hz for 4 seconds using 2260-2273 watts. He has one hell of a monitoring system software he made! Details everything. Alternator was running from 13.26V-13.07V during the test. STOCK ALTERNATOR!!!

What was that wired at? Pretty impressive for a Fi Q.