Jeff

Marilyn: Jeffs 2009 Sable Premier

Here's the passenger side dogleg finished.  It looks as if nothing was ever damaged. 

2015-12-21_07.49.54_zpszqfbsbyr.jpg

Here's a refresher of the before(crease visible):

image_zps1bfc7db9.jpg

The chrome drip rail above the doors  is not a reusable part so it had to be left on the car and could not be removed prior to having this and the roof repaired.  Due to the super tight fit there was no way to tape the rubber top edge so it currently has paint over spray on it in places.  Once I get that all cleaned off and looking like it should...I'll post pics of the repaired roof( full panel respray).  The roof looks as new now(minus the slight ugliness on the rubber portion of the drip rail).  We could have removed it, but the cheapest replacement I found was $307.00 brand new and that was simply out of the budget for me right now.  Color match with the Deltron 2000 was spot on and used Nason 498-00 clear.  You cannot even make out where he blended the dogleg repair into the rear quarter which I was afraid you might be able to see.  We cleared the entire rear quarter and roof bow section along with doing the entire roof.  I'm very satisfied with it.  Will be even more so once the weather clears up and I can clean the leading edge of that molding.

• Like 2

Installed new outer tie rods today.  The old ones were extremely sloppy for only having 71K miles on them.  Everything went smoothly.  I got it really close to the way it was before, but it will need an alignment soon as the wheel is very slightly off.  Car drives really well again and the best part is that irregularities in the road do not phase it anymore.  You could move the stud in the seat with one finger in every direction with zero effort on the old tie rods.  Passenger was only slightly worse than the driver.  Glad I changed them now before I had major problems.

Jeff

• Like 2

Some mod's and maintenance for Marilyn are on the way.  I've been ebaying this last week and I'm hoping all will look good. 

Firstly, I found a spoiler (identical to architech's) from an 05 Five Hundred( the aftermarket dealer accessory lip spoiler that looks factory).  I purchased it for 68.00 shipped.  I'll have to have it repainted to match my car, as it's currently dark charcoal grey, but that's no big deal.  I've already purchased the paint to do so.  It should be here next week sometime.

Second, I purchased a set of OEM all weather rubber floor mats that have the SABLE logo.  I believe these to be OEM from Ford...not sure, but they look identical to my carpet mats only in rubber and the ad said they are Ford OEM.  My drivers mat is getting pretty tired looking.  These I'll be able to use year round.

Third, I'm having the windows tinted sometime in the next month.  Arkansas legal limits...it think that's 35 fronts and 20 rears.  Don't quote me on that.

Fourth,  I'm putting a new set of shoes on it.  Most likely Nitto NT850 Plus...which have near excellent reviews online. 

I'm also going to be changing out the radiator hoses most likely since I'll be traveling a pretty great distance for the meet.  Just for peace of mind.

That's about it....will probably do an oil change on it just prior to the meet in South Carolina.  I'm hoping it'll be another year of trouble free driving.

• Like 2

Nice. :merc:  Is she paid off yet? 

Unfortunately it is not.  My plan was to pay it off early, but then things got in the way of that plan.  My house will be paid for in a year.  Once I have the house paid off I'm going to be paying extra on the Sable.  I'm hoping I can get it paid off within the next year and half. 

Jeff

Changed out the LR hub assembly this afternoon. This will be the third one in about a year. This one had play and was humming. I'm stumped as to why so many repeated failures. The one removed was a Moog, but was a reboxed Iljin. Current one is a Masterpro now as I've switched employers and it was all that was available. If this one fails then I'll have to look further and buy OEM. The RR is still the Moog boxed Iljin and it is still doing well. Luckily this job is pretty quick and painless.

Jeff

Edited by Jeff

I got my 500 spoiler back from the paint shop yesterday.  Once installed I have to take it back so they can wet sand and buff it on the car.  I just laid it in place for now....still undecided.  Thoughts?

2016-02-21_11.37.10_zpsoijnelkn.jpg

2016-02-21_11.36.46_zpsvu2ar14q.jpg

Jeff

• Like 3

Looks awesome! I like it :)

• Like 1

I should have everything done to Marilyn before the meet that I want to accomplish except..probably the window tint.  I do not know if I'll get around to having that done prior.  I ordered two new front wheel hub assemblies to replace the OEM ones...they are currently the only OEM ones left on the car and they are humming(not as bad as the rear were).  I also ordered two rear sway bar links because I'm getting some noise out of those over uneven terrain and bumps.  I spent the afternoon cleaning it up and managed only to finish the exterior.  The interior will have to wait until another nice day off.  This will all have to be done again prior to the meet, but it really needed it now after having not been done since early December.  It was very windy out this afternoon so I was having problems getting my camera to focus.  I managed to get a few shots.  Spoiler is on and tomorrow it goes back to get wet sanded and buffed.  I'm going to hand wax it probably the Thursday before the meet at Nicks.  I'll be leaving Friday morning around 2-3AM so that I'll make it there by around 6-7PM Friday evening.

2016-02-28_17.50.50_zpsisjjbxgn.jpg

2016-02-28_17.51.24_zpsgg2zih33.jpg

• Like 3

Thank you both! It's growing on me. I had to remove it and reinstall it this evening. The 3m tape let loose at the edge of the trunk lid on the passenger side. It was extremely windy yesterday. I used 3m urethane panel bonder on it this time and I didn't apply it sparingly either. The only way it should ever come off again is by breaking it in half. I barely got it off because half the tape held great.

Jeff

Changed oil in the car today in preparation of the upcoming trip to SC.  A few other things to accomplish this next week too.

Jeff

I just purchased a roll of black brushed aluminum vinyl wrap.  I'm going to try my hand at wrapping all the brown wood grain pieces in the 09.  I'm not sure that I've bought enough, but with proper placement I think a 24" x 60" piece will do all the wood trim in the car as there is not much.  The longest piece is 54.75".  If not, I'll buy more.  I'm not 100% committed to this project mainly because I'm not sure how it'll turn out.  I think if it lays down good...it will really make the interior special and give the interior a little younger feel compared to the wood trim and it'll carry some of the slightly aggressive look to the interior.  Someone on the other site did this same thing to his gen 6 Taurus and that gave me the idea to do it to mine...but I'm trying to go a little more classy with the pattern for my car.  It looks like this:

IMG_1176_zps0e8e119a.jpg

I do not own this picture, but it is the exact vinyl that I purchased.  I'll try my hand at it.  I've installed vinyl signs before with good success.  This is probably a lot more complicated, but hopefully it'll turn out the way I'm picturing it in my head.

Jeff

Edited by Jeff
  • Like 1

I love that pattern! You have a heat gun right? I think it'll also be best if you pull all of the trim pieces you aim to wrap from the car so you don't risk damaging any surrounding parts with your razor knife while trimming. :)

Edited by Josh_GL_Limited

I do not own a heat gun, but will when I get ready to do this installation.  I probably won't tackle this until after the meet at Nicks.  I am planning on popping all the trim off the car.  The only one I haven't had off before is the one on the dash (the speedo surround and the long piece that encompasses the ac vents and clock).  I'll have to figure out how to get that piece off.

Jeff

The rear struts on the 09 are the OEM Motorcraft units and while under there today replacing the sway bar links I noticed that my RH strut makes a suction noise when being jounced.  I know what a normal shock/strut sounds like being compressed as I work in parts. Trust me...this was not normal.  I did not take the wheel off to inspect it any further since it has nearly 75K miles on it.  I could not see any appearance of leaking, but I'm convinced that this is part of the noise I am hearing over uneven terrain.  I poked around online and found Amazon  to have, by far, the best price on replacement struts.  They also happen to the be same brand as the struts I installed up front about a year and 10,000ish miles ago, Gabriel.  AutoZone sells Gabriel and they are 71.99/81.99 per side respectively.  RockAuto had them for 40.00 side at one time, but they are no longer listed.  Even with my discount at work I still saved almost $80.00 and we sell Monroe.   Amazon...total for both struts shipped to my door via 2 day shipping was $42.20.  The only downside is that you only get a 30 day warranty.  These were cheap enough that I can afford to eat the cost if something were to happen to them and so far my front struts are holding up magnificently.  So, I ordered them.  Not sure if they will be on by the time I go to South Carolina or not, but I'll have them for when I have the time to swap them out.  At that price I really couldn't pass them up.  The only downside to my purchasing Gabriel is that I'm not supporting my local economy as the Monroe units are built here where I live and they are the biggest employer around this area.  

Jeff

Edited by Jeff

The rear struts on the 09 are the OEM Motorcraft units and while under there today replacing the sway bar links I noticed that my RH strut makes a suction noise when being jounced.  I know what a normal shock/strut sounds like being compressed as I work in parts. Trust me...this was not normal.  I did not take the wheel off to inspect it any further since it has nearly 75K miles on it.  I could not see any appearance of leaking, but I'm convinced that this is part of the noise I am hearing over uneven terrain.  I poked around online and found Amazon  to have, by far, the best price on replacement struts.  They also happen to the be same brand as the struts I installed up front about a year and 10,000ish miles ago, Gabriel.  AutoZone sells Gabriel and they are 71.99/81.99 per side respectively.  RockAuto had them for 40.00 side at one time, but they are no longer listed.  Even with my discount at work I still saved almost $80.00 and we sell Monroe.   Amazon...total for both struts shipped to my door via 2 day shipping was $42.20.  The only downside is that you only get a 30 day warranty.  These were cheap enough that I can afford to eat the cost if something were to happen to them and so far my front struts are holding up magnificently.  So, I ordered them.  Not sure if they will be on by the time I go to South Carolina or not, but I'll have them for when I have the time to swap them out.  At that price I really couldn't pass them up.  The only downside to my purchasing Gabriel is that I'm not supporting my local economy as the Monroe units are built here where I live and they are the biggest employer around this area.  

Jeff

Any swish means the gas is gone, but if no oil present on the outside, it is still working but not as a "gas strut". Just means it's useful life is over. Once oil is seen it is really bad. I had my Lin Cont loose oil on a front and replaced the struts. The leaker was totally free on the down stroke, normal on the up stroke. That was awful.

-chart-

post-1834-0-92676600-1457468182_thumb.jp

Edited by -chart-

Brakes are 100% done all the way around.  I had to buy new rear rotors(BrakeBest) as they were too thin to be turned.  I would've preferred Bosch, but I didn't have those in stock.  I probably should have bought new front rotors as well, but for now they will do.  I may replace them once I get back from South Carolina. The LR caliper had one pin nearly seized in, but managed to break it loose.  The rubber anti-vibration damper installed on the pin was binding in the bracket bore.  I removed it, lubed everything with sil-glyde and they are good and free now.  The RR was hard to move, but it did move.  I went ahead and removed the damper on that side as well.  I kept them just in case I want to put them back, but something tells me I'll need new brackets before that can happen.  For some reason these cars are also known for wearing out caliper brackets. That probably explains the groan I've heard during slow maneuvers from the rear brakes.  Brakes are smooth and responsive now.  I didn't have time to paint the hat on the rotors or to freshen up the calipers with paint.  It has been wet here all week and I work clear through Thursday so it's as good as it's going to get for now.  It goes in Tuesday morning to have the rear struts changed out and then it should be good to go for quite a long time.  Lots of new parts in preparation for it's first road trip in a very long time.  I don't like leaving anything to chance which is why I've went out of my way to do all of this to hopefully ensure I have a pleasant uninterrupted trip.  Now all that's left is to clean it up Thursday afternoon after work and then head out early Friday morning.

Jeff

Edited by Jeff

Rear struts installed on the Sable yesterday/today.  It's riding a little high in the rear now, but should settle down..hopefully on the trip to South Carolina.  I also bought a new caliper bracket for the LR caliper as that is the one that was binding pretty badly.  Also bought new pins and rubber boots to go along with it which included the vibration dampers for the pins.  I will remove the RR bracket and see about cleaning it a little more as it wasn't binding like the LR, but was just slightly hard to move....then I'll re-grease everything and put it all back together including the dampers.  Then, I should be ready for the trip on Friday morning.  The car no longer wallows around in the rear and even better...no longer makes noises when going over imperfections.  Total bill was $244.00 to install two struts(evidently more labor intensive than a regular strut since the rear control arms had to come off) and to install one LF hub assembly that I simply did not want to tackle after having done the other side last week myself.  This car is pretty much brand new now and drives as such which is what I like in all my cars.  Brian will attest (I hope) that minus a headlight bulb(which was working the day before and a small valve cover leak that turned big in subzero temps) my previous car was also very well kept mechanically. I'm hoping this one will last a very very long time for me.  This trip will be good for it....it's been a long while since its stretched its legs.

Also, this is the first of many swaps, but I converted my reverse and license plate lamps to LED.  I got the 921's on closeout at work..Pilot brand $7 for the pair.  The license lamps are Sylvania LED's $4 each.  I'm planning on doing the puddle lamps soon..buying them online and then I may do something with the lights at the front of the car.  I don't want to wire in resistors to cure the hyperflash for the turn signals so those are staying incandescent unfortunately.  I don't think the LED reverse bulbs light up the rear of the car very well at night compared to the standard bulbs, but it is adequate.  

2016-03-16_23.37.43_zpsbeutjosw.jpg

Jeff

Edited by Jeff
  • Like 1

Most folks already know, but I traded in the Sable on February 15.  I purchased a sterling grey 2014 Fusion SE with luxury pack, tech pack, factory gloss black 18" rims, and moonroof.  It has 40k miles on it and is equipped with the 1.5L ecoboost.  It was sold new by the dealer and salesman that sold it to me and it has a full Ford dealer service history.  I'm not going anywhere here on the forums...still have one Sable left.  The  09 Sable will be missed, but I just felt it was time to part ways.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Jeff said:

Most folks already know, but I traded in the Sable on February 15.  I purchased a sterling grey 2014 Fusion SE with luxury pack, tech pack, factory gloss black 18" rims, and moonroof.  It has 40k miles on it and is equipped with the 1.5L ecoboost.  It was sold new by the dealer and salesman that sold it to me and it has a full Ford dealer service history.  I'm not going anywhere here on the forums...still have one Sable left.  The  09 Sable will be missed, but I just felt it was time to part ways.

Nice choice! Does the tech pack come with the adaptive cruse?

The lane keep assist on those are fun: I had one as a loaner when the 2011 was getting its front hubs replaced. A really fun game to play on an empty highway is see who chickens out first and pulls back into the lane, you or the car.

Those 1.5's are punchy in the mid-range and get good economy as well!

it does not have the adaptive cruise.  That's about the only thing it doesn't have...along with push button start.  Otherwise it's fully loaded.  I really enjoy it and I drives extremely nice.  My only plans are to put a factory style spoiler on it and to plastidip the chrome grille so that it looks more cohesive with the black wheels and tint.  I'll post more pics this weekend after I wash it again.  So far fuel economy is 23 mpg city....up from 18 in  the Sable.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Jeff said:

it does not have the adaptive cruise.  That's about the only thing it doesn't have...along with push button start.  Otherwise it's fully loaded.  I really enjoy it and I drives extremely nice.  My only plans are to put a factory style spoiler on it and to plastidip the chrome grille so that it looks more cohesive with the black wheels and tint.  I'll post more pics this weekend after I wash it again.  So far fuel economy is 23 mpg city....up from 18 in  the Sable.

Tune it!

• Like 1

My girlfriend just traded in her 2013 Focus for almost the same car that you bought Jeff. A Silver 2014 Fusion SE, 1.5L  with luxury package, and moonroof, although it has the boring 16 or 17 inch painted rims. I have yet to see the car in person but it looked like it was pretty highly optioned. Only 33k miles.  Looked like it also had 20% tint all the way around.

16729069_10158068978260198_6124349745734

• Like 1

On 2/17/2017 at 0:08 PM, SHOenough said:

Tune it!

I may once the warranty runs out.

Jeff