Jeff

Marilyn: Jeffs 2009 Sable Premier

The constant clicking got on my nerves so for 17.73 I bought a factory part at my local dealer. I would have to wait until Monday for the dorman to come in and I cannot bear to listen to that for the weekend. I'll keep the replacement dorman as a spare.

Jeff

I did Marilyn's winter oil change and overall service today.  It was about 50 degrees here today, so not too bad.  Car is just shy of 61500 miles and one year of ownership.  So far it's been a really good car, but does need some suspension work in the coming year to make it a truly great car.  Anyways, checked all the fluids, topped up the washer fluid.  5w20 synthetic and a motorcraft FL500S filter.  I'm hoping I won't have to change it again until spring. 

Jeff

Suspension work is coming sooner than later. My inner tire is down to the steel belts...worn away by bad alignment due to bad suspension components. This car has always had suspension noise since I purchased it and I knew this going in. I also found that this is a common issue for this generation. So in the next few weeks the car will receive:

2 new upper strut mounts

2 new Gabriel Ultra struts

2 new control arms (1 Raybestos Pro LH and 1 Mevotech Supreme RH) The Raybestos were no longer available so I purchased what was available for the RH

2 new Sway Bar Links

4 Kumho Solus KR21 225/55/18 tires with 9/32 tread depth to replace worn tires

All with less than 63K miles on the odometer...

I will hope that this will keep Marilyn happy for years to come and that I do not have to repeat this again in my ownership of this car.

Jeff

Edited by Jeff

So, I got all the work done on the car! They replaced the two front struts, two lower control arms, both sway bar links, and the upper strut mounts; and I must say the car drives like new! Before it was wallowy and wayward. It would clunk, bump, bang over imperfections in the road or a sudden change in incline. Not only that but you could also feel this through the steering wheel. It liked to follow imperfections in road surface and jerk the car towards them...making it feel like an old car with bad bias ply tires. Just overall was not what you expect from any car, especially with relatively low mileage. The ride from the Gabriel struts is very firm, but I expect them to settle once they get some miles on them. The steering is tight and crisp and no more vibrations to have to deal with when turning the steering wheel. It doesn't feel like the same car....it's hard to believe how bad it drove in comparison! Labor ran about 162.00 and I still have to get my new tires installed and an alignment done. Also, I've decided to go ahead and swap the rear struts out as well and will be doing those shortly. This car is finally going to be 100% soon...with this done it's darn close. I kept the old parts to inspect to see just how much wear these 63k mile parts have..I suspect quite a lot. I'll post that tomorrow as it's quite cold here right now. Overall, I'm very pleased with the result.

Jeff

Edited by Jeff

Last night I noticed a very sluggish start on The 09....twice. I knew I was about to have a problem. Today it would not start so I purchased a new battery and installed it. I'm thinking they may have left something on while repairing it yesterday. Battery tested at 12.34v 147cca measured. It was nearly fully charged (voltage wise) and with such low numbers I just purchased a new one. I hope it's nothing more than a battery.

Jeff

Edited by Jeff

If you guys had what you call a "cold" snap then it may have just given out.

It's been pretty cold here for a week. I think it was about 18 here last night, but got down to 7 degrees last Friday/Saturday.

Jeff

It's been pretty cold here for a week. I think it was about 18 here last night, but got down to 7 degrees last Friday/Saturday.

Jeff

It was -9 here this morn and the Lin Cont cranked briskly. :notworthy:

Sweater, coat, gloves, off to the hospital. All is OK.

Planned test.

-chart-

Wow! That's a good price for getting the bumper re-finished!!!

I agree! My cousin is a body man so he threw in what little labor and material it took to repair the blemished areas. I did have to pay for the paint and paint guys time. Im having my Safelite damage done by them as well. $171 to repair the A pillar and refinish. While the glass is out Im having them repair a rust bubble on the leading edge of my roof. It isnt horrible yet, but will get there if I ignore it. For that Ill be paying $150 out of pocket.

Jeff

Well, the car goes to the body shop next Tuesday. If all goes well....I should have it back by Wednesday. Less the crease and scratches and unsightly rust bubble. :)

Jeff

I just bought a set of chrome exterior door handle covers for the 09 on ebay. My RF handle has been touched up previously and has a slight crack in the plastic. Rather than spend money on a new one that I'd then have to get painted and installed, these are a much easier and financially feasible option to correct this. I also think they will go very nicely with my chrome grille and mirror caps. Too bad I cannot find the rear applique and emblems in chrome. Also, coming up on an oil change as well in the next 500-1000 miles....usually change @ 50% on the OLM. Car is great @ pretty much 64000 miles. Castrol Magnatec 5W20 and Purolator Synthetic PSL22500 filter on the shelf ready to go. I'll post some after shots from the body shop repair.....they did a really nice job and best of all didn't even charge me for repairing the rust bubble area on the leading edge of the roof. Car is in fine shape....best it's been since I purchased it January 7, 2014(knock on wood). Likely will be taking it to the dealer very soon for an actual transmission service(I've done the drain and refill, but only changes about 4 or so quarts)...$135 for them to service using the machine which they say also runs a cleaner through to clean up the non-serviceable filter.

Jeff

Edited by Jeff

That's exactly how my local Ford dealership had performed my last trans fluid service on the '05 SEL, about a month before the crash. They use the low pressure machine to replace all of the fluid without taking the pan off. 

I've gotten a few things accomplished over the last few days....

1.  changed air filter (prior had been in 1 year and about 12.5K miles)  Wasn't in bad shape, but they are cheap.

2.  changed oil just shy of 64K miles.  GTX Magnatec Full Synthetic 5W20

3.  serviced transmission(drain and fill) 5 quarts of CarQuest Mercon V.  Trying to hold over for a little longer before I have the dealer flush it.

4.  applied chrome door handle covers. (pics coming later b/c too dark now) Definitely better than the scratched up one with the small crack.

5.  cleaned thottle body (done previously 1 year ago)

Car is ready to go for awhile again and definitely ready to travel to a meet(if I can get off of work)  I missed Nick's get together due to my RVP announcing he was coming to the area unexpectedly the following Monday morning.  I'm definitely catching the next one though!

Jeff

Edited by Jeff

Replaced the RR wheel bearing today at 64,242 miles.  It was bad.....noisy bad.  No play, but had been noisy for awhile.  Mechanic said it was tires, but I had my doubts.   All is well now.  I did go the economical route and purchased my in house brand hub assembly.  It is a Driveworks NT512299.  OEM looks to have been a Timken.  After discount and speedperks $20 coupon..... grand total $35.79.  Regularly 66.00....so about a 50% savings over retail.  It took care of the noise I was experiencing while driving and also while braking(a cyclical wah wah wah type noise).  1 year warranty on it so we will see how long it lasts.  I have used these previously on my 2000 Avalon on the rear when they went bad at 140K, but only got about 6 months of use from them before I traded it in for this car, but they were still great when traded in.  I plan to purchase another to install next week on the LR as it is also making some noise, but not nearly as much as the RR was making.  

Jeff

Edited by Jeff

Replaced the RR wheel bearing today at 64,242 miles.  It was bad.....noisy bad.  No play, but had been noisy for awhile.  Mechanic said it was tires, but I had my doubts.   All is well now.  I did go the economical route and purchased my in house brand hub assembly.  It is a Driveworks NT512299.  OEM looks to have been a Timken.  After discount and speedperks $20 coupon..... grand total $35.79.  Regularly 66.00....so about a 50% savings over retail.  It took care of the noise I was experiencing while driving and also while braking(a cyclical wah wah wah type noise).  1 year warranty on it so we will see how long it lasts.  I have used these previously on my 2000 Avalon on the rear when they went bad at 140K, but only got about 6 months of use from them before I traded it in for this car, but they were still great when traded in.  I plan to purchase another to install next week on the LR as it is also making some noise, but not nearly as much as the RR was making.  

Jeff

It's a shame the quality is so bad after G-4 as I hear storys. I was in a shop last fall, Ford 500 ~90K whole front end had to be done. Ball joints ready to fall out, front tires ruined. Wheel bearings noisy, stuts floppy, sway bar links loose.

I have had /have 8 bulls, all used, all run and run, passed on to my daughters, never replaced a wheel bearing. First BJ on present, and that was because someone had used a pickle fork and tore the boots up. This my '03 Sable bought last July. My '03 Sedan going in for inspection this am, just checked it out well yesterday, 132K only thing in it's history, ready struts last year. Fronts only. Rears still feel good. My '01 wagon up for sale, 130K, only broken springs, nothing else in suspension. I check them carefully each Fall.

Sorry to hear your early fails.

-chart-

The poor quality is due to Ford making the Volvo design even cheaper on a heavier car.

Seems like p2 platform issues honestly. The p2 Volvo cars had wheel bearing issues, control arm bushing issues, strut issues, strut mount issues.

I am by no means put off or mad about it.  It is what it is.  I knew that these cars had suspension issues before I even bought it.  Plus, Brian told me this one had some suspension issues before I even saw the car.  I will say this though, this car is the most comfortable car I've ever owned.  It is a great cruiser, drives nicely, and has plenty of power when you unleash all the ponies.  All in all, I'm happy with the car and I'll get the use out of it because I'll probably have it until the wheels fall off.  At least parts are cheap for it.....better than I could say for my 13 year old Toyota.  Everything was still big money for that car.  I may go ahead and replace my front hub assemblies soon so that they are done all the way around.  I'm a big believer in preventative maintenance.  You pay now or pay later.   I don't and have never really waited for anything to break on any of my cars.  I just put new if it's questionable and keep going.  It's worked well for me for a long time and I treat my cars well(better than myself most of the time). My 3000 mile service interval on synthetic oil also gives me peace of mind..(Sam joked I should send him my used oil so he can run it some more in his car).  I'm pretty sure he was joking.  Anyways,  I did get another bearing and will be doing this all over again on Monday or Tuesday of next week.  Hopefully it goes just as smoothly.  It would've been nice if Ford would've taken a note from Toyota and made the bolts thread in from the bearing into the knuckle  instead of from behind....so much easier! 

Jeff

Edited by Jeff

Tackled the other rear wheel bearing yesterday afternoon. It went much quicker since I used my air rachet. Bearing was the same brand on the box, but was a different manufacturer because they had different stampings on the part itself. Driveworks is a reboxer so Im not sure who made either really....

Jeff

Edited by Jeff

Marilyn got an oil change today @ 67048 miles.  I only drained the pan since I just put the Motorcraft filter on it maybe 2 weeks ago.  So, I've had the car going on two years now and have put 17K miles on it....so far I still really enjoy the car and with a brand new front end and struts, etc...it really is a pleasure to drive.

Jeff

Edited by Jeff

Went to Ford dealer yesterday looking for a manual lumbar handle for the 09 as the original one broke in half(cheap plastic).  Come to find out that this part has been discontinued by Ford and no longer available....on an 09 which shares most all the same parts like this with the Taurus, Montego, Five Hundred, etc.. I realize they can't keep everything, but just seems like they didn't wait too long phasing it out.  Only option was one I found on ebay in tan color.  I'll have to use the interior paint to make it black to match my interior.  Oh well...all I can do on this one.  Also,  I saw my 92 out with it's new owners in town.  Poor thing....I really wish I had kept it.  At least it looks like they are getting some use out of it.  I'm sure they got it semi-cheap..and I know they got a well sorted car for the money.  It looked like probably all they could afford, and you know what, when I first purchased it and drove it regularly it was all I could afford too.  Still, I do miss it.  It was directly behind me in traffic today and if I would've had time to snap a pic in my rearview...I would have.

Jeff

Edited by Jeff

I am starting to see those cars go into junkyards around here. I can keep an eye out to see if those come up.

We currently have two 08 Taurus SELs and an 07 Five Hundred Limited that were traded in at my dealership, but all of them have beige interiors.

Well, the spot repair done by a reputable shop to the roof of the car will be redone next week. The spot repair started peeling last month or so. They didnt charge me for it because the guy wasnt confident it would be a lasting repair....he was right. This repair will encompass doing the entire roof so it should be a lasting repair and I can also get rid of that ugly sunroof deflector used to hide the blend from the last repair. Im also having the passenger dogleg repaired at the same time. It's had a crease in it since I purchased it. That repair will be blended and the entire rear quarter and c pillar to a pillar will be cleared. Let's hope Im done with the paint and body problems for good on this car. It's getting an oil change tomorrow. Sitting around 70300 miles currently.

Jeff

Edited by Jeff
  • Like 1