Jeff

Marilyn: Jeffs 2009 Sable Premier

The clunking saga continues.....so I purchased a new Mevotech Supreme control arm and ball joint assembly from RockAuto to replace the factory part at only 54k miles(it was already bad at 50k). Replacing the strut mount previously cured half of the clunk( it masked the lower clunking going on bc it was loudest at the time). Here's to hoping my nearly new car becomes more civilized very soon.

Jeff

The water pump deal is already a huge turnoff about this car.  but the amount of suspension issues people report really make me want to stay clear of them completely.  

• Like 1

Indeed. It's a great car otherwise though. It has a lot of power and really rides and drives very nicely....just nagging noises that my 20k dollar base model Impala never made....lol. I know the water pump is driven off the timing chain which stinks, but my Toyota was the same design.... only a belt instead of a chain. I didn't do my due diligence beforehand and research common issues before buying and probably should have. I normally do. I think my issues here are stemming from:

A. It was a rental for 10 months

B. Whomever owned it prior liked to hit things

with the front tires....so much so they had

severe chunks missing from the wheels

Jeff

The water pump deal is already a huge turnoff about this car.  but the amount of suspension issues people report really make me want to stay clear of them completely.  

I have never heard of a water pump going bad in one of them. If it does though..........

Yes suspension issues are common. Strut bearings and control arms it seems.

A water pump should not require the surgery that is necessary on a 2008-2009 Sable/Taurus.  Sorry that's nuts.  Water pumps will wear out eventually, make the dang thing serviceable.  I have heard of people having theirs leak/weep.

My control arm is on it's way!!!! I got upgraded! Turns out RockAuto was out of the Mevotech so they upgraded me to the Raybestos Professional Grade for the same price! I think that was a good thing, as after I purchased I was reading not so great things about Mevotech. Raybestos seems to be very well regarded, at least their pro grade parts anyway. Pics forthcoming! It gets installed Sunday after work.

Here's the new part fresh out of the box.... Disappointing Made in Taiwan and non-serviceable ball joint.

image_zpse17a0815.jpg

Jeff

• Like 1

Today I purchased a Voga grille for Marilyn. NIB for $149.00 including the center medallion. Also, I ordered Brembo brake pads both front and rear in preparation for it's trip to Chicago in a few weeks...

More to come....

Jeff

Got in part of my parts today....

image_zpsfaaa9837.jpg

Grille should be at my house by the time I get off work

Received this in the mail today. I can't wait to fit it to the car!!

image_zps5ea88580.jpg

Jeff

You will have to let me know how those pads do. I bought a set on clearance on rock auto for my Cougar but I haven't used them yet.

I ordered a set too :) Couldn't beat the price! Won't be putting them on for a while though, my pads still have good life left.

I will let you know how I like them. They appear to be pretty decent by just looking at the pad material. I'm just hoping they don't dust too badly or they will be short lived on my car...

I made slight progress today. This project was not for the faint of heart and I probably wouldn't do it again if I didn't have to....but here's a few shots...

image_zps82aa8574.jpg

image_zps4615cb8c.jpg

image_zps25785ab5.jpg

All done! Not hard to remove the cover...just all the ancillaries behind the grille that give the cover it's strength. I also observed that the grille for our cars is one time use as there is no way to seperate it without breaking the tabs on the grille. Otherwise you risk damaging the bumper cover itself. Stupid design....

Jeff

Great for part suppliers.  And dealers.

Shiney new grill!

See you in a week or so in Chicago?

Too much chrome for my taste but goes fantastic with the silver!!

Yes! I should be there sometime Sunday AM. I'm having the brakes and whatnot tidied up right now for the trip to Chicago. I will have a few items to get rid of. Mainly gen 2 sable items.....I may bring along if any one AHEM is interested.

Oh, I'm sure there will be interest. :P

• Like 1

The 09 is now outfitted with Brembo pads on all four corners. Also had the rotors turned. Haven't really bedded them in yet but will when I get some empty road. I'm pretty much all set for the trip this weekend!!!

Jeff

A little update....

I'll be without my rear bumper cover for a few days while it's being repaired and resprayed to like new condition. I don't remember if I posted about it, but it was the only real let down on an otherwise very pristine exterior when I purchased it. Battle scarred from it's time as a rental, the top had deep scratches and there were a few gouges here and there. It had been resprayed once before on car and the clear was peeling at the leading edge where it met the quarter panel. Luckily no hidden accident damage underneath so must've been purely cosmetic damage prior. Also, one of my rear sensors likely has been replaced as it was the ford cinnamon metallic color everywhere else other than the face of the sensor. Once finished it will be pristine again and I'm hoping will look good for a long time. I'm not going the cheap route this time; so I took it to the best body shop in town. I'll post after pictures! I forgot to take before pictures.....

Jeff

post-1374-0-94157400-1401905318_thumb.jp

Looks... sad.

It does, but it's only temporary. It'll be good as new in no time!

Jeff

Well it's good as new! It turned out very well. I had to leave them my car in order to color match the paint. There were 10 variants on the UI color on my car. The match is spot on. Picked it up and reinstalled the sensors, wiring harnesses, license lamps, etc and got it all back good as new. Here are a few preliminary pictures. The cost to repair and repaint the cover with lifetime warranty on finish was 259.00. I'm well pleased with it.

Jeff

post-1374-0-06137800-1402371339_thumb.jppost-1374-0-43164200-1402371787_thumb.jppost-1374-0-73731200-1402371828_thumb.jppost-1374-0-57193800-1402371876_thumb.jp

• Like 1

Decided to do a coolant drain and refill on Marilyn since she's going on 4.5 years old now. Figured since the thermostat is so easy to change I'd do it also as preventative maintenance. So all in all it got a new thermostat, seal, and peak global long life premixed coolant at 58,079 miles...... I've about got my laundry list down to the short rows.....but I broke the head off the drain plug....dang plastic. It's holding so I'll pick one up this week to fix the issue I created for myself.

Jeff

My dorman air door actuator crapped out on me.....only 8 months old. Back to the click click click. Luckily easy to replace so will be doing that over the next few days. Under warranty.

Dorman is good for repeat fixes.

Dorman is good for repeat fixes.

I'll go with the JY one. I have a working spare. Fits all 3 of my Sables.

Our local Pick A Part had a fire yesterday. Gas tank blew up. All that the news had. Fire departments called, road closed.

-chart-