• Announcements

    • Sean T.

      Having trouble logging in after the update?   04/25/16

      After the forum update, you need to use your displayed name as your login. Your password should remain the same. If you are still having trouble, please e-mail Sean [email protected] and he can reset your password.
    • Sean T.

      Help Support TSOC by Making a Donation!   01/29/17

      TSOC is funded by donations only. The operating expenses for TSOC are about $320 annually for hosting, domains, and IP Board license renewals. Support from our members is greatly appreciated! As always, we are grateful for ANY and ALL donations! From $1.00 to $100.00, anything you give will support the forums and community experience. At any time, you are free to make a standard donation towards our operating expenses. Surplus funds will stay with the forum for next year, so even if it appears we have enough cash on hand, we're always in need of donations! When you make a donation towards our operating expenses, your membership will automatically upgrade based on your donation amount. (Please see the link below for more info)     Click HERE to learn more about our membership levels!  
    • Sean T.

      !!! *** Known Issue for New Member Sign-Up *** !!!   04/20/17

      It has been brought to our attention that new members are unable to sign up. Producing an error code EX1364. We are aware of the issue and are working to resolve it. In the mean time, if you encounter this error, please send a message using the "Contact Us" link at the bottom of the page, and we will contact you when it has been resolved.
Jeff

Marilyn: Jeffs 2009 Sable Premier

188 posts in this topic

6 minutes ago, Thub said:

My girlfriend just traded in her 2013 Focus for almost the same car that you bought Jeff. A Silver 2014 Fusion SE, 1.5L  with luxury package, and moonroof, although it has the boring 16 or 17 inch painted rims. I have yet to see the car in person but it looked like it was pretty highly optioned. Only 33k miles.  Looked like it also had 20% tint all the way around.

16729069_10158068978260198_6124349745734

The 1.5 is pretty peppy for such small displacement.  It's even better in sport mode, but mileage suffers.  I am getting about 24 mpg city so far, but in sport mode it goes to about 22 from my testing it out this morning.  The salesman led me to believe that you have to manually shift in sport mode, however, the trans shifts itself so long as you don't touch the selectshift buttons.  I really like it and I don't miss the 3.5 in the Sable at all.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Jeff said:

The 1.5 is pretty peppy for such small displacement.  It's even better in sport mode, but mileage suffers.  I am getting about 24 mpg city so far, but in sport mode it goes to about 22 from my testing it out this morning.  The salesman led me to believe that you have to manually shift in sport mode, however, the trans shifts itself so long as you don't touch the selectshift buttons.  I really like it and I don't miss the 3.5 in the Sable at all.  

Like SHOenough said, I've heard the 1.5L with the Livernois 93 tune nets close to +40hp and over 50 ft-lbs more and the shifting is dramatically improved. I think it would be amazing to tune it but personally I would be a little reluctant to add the 93 tune since it really pushes that motor hard, I would have a hard time keeping my foot out of it and I just don't trust those little turbos that much, they can handle the stock power fine but when you push it hard you will burn it up. 

If I could drive it like a normal person and not be on it all the time I'm sure it would be fine but its hard not to drive those turbo engines hard, they are just so much fun.

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Thub said:

Like SHOenough said, I've heard the 1.5L with the Livernois 93 tune nets close to +40hp and over 50 ft-lbs more and the shifting is dramatically improved. I think it would be amazing to tune it but personally I would be a little reluctant to add the 93 tune since it really pushes that motor hard, I would have a hard time keeping my foot out of it and I just don't trust those little turbos that much, they can handle the stock power fine but when you push it hard you will burn it up.

This is why I'm afraid to mess with it because it's a tiny engine.  I will never race this car and for what I'll use it for I'd likely never need any additional power.   The K&N cold air intake says it will increase HP and torque by about 8 HP/tq.  I might do something like that....or the Steeda intake.  Here's a few more pictures.  Car is still dirty from the rain.  Gotta get some weathertech floor liners for sure.  Engine is nice and dusty. I'll probably remove the cover and wash it (the cover) and then put it back on...just to tidy it up a bit. They changed the oil for me.  I popped in a new WIX air filter and cabin filter today.  Both were OEM and cabin filter was way overdue.

 

Jeff

 

IMAG0132.jpg

IMAG0133.jpg

IMAG0134.jpg

IMAG0136.jpg

IMAG0137.jpg

IMAG0138.jpg

IMAG0139.jpg

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd go for the 87 tune for sure for the improved shifting but its $599, that's not chump change.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Jeff said:

This is why I'm afraid to mess with it because it's a tiny engine.  I will never race this car and for what I'll use it for I'd likely never need any additional power.   The K&N cold air intake says it will increase HP and torque by about 8 HP/tq.  I might do something like that....or the Steeda intake.  Here's a few more pictures.  Car is still dirty from the rain.  Gotta get some weathertech floor liners for sure.  Engine is nice and dusty. I'll probably remove the cover and wash it (the cover) and then put it back on...just to tidy it up a bit. They changed the oil for me.  I popped in a new WIX air filter and cabin filter today.  Both were OEM and cabin filter was way overdue.

 

Jeff

Just because its a 93 tune does not mean its pushing the motor to its breaking point. It just makes the car be what it should have been from the factory.

You can also specify what you want from the tuner in terms of tunes. You can get a 93 tune that has a bit more mid-range so it'll pass better, and a bit more top end (because why not) and you'll average better mileage as well.

Plus, if you do tune only there is no way you're coming close to pushing the turbo to its limit. The stock MAP can't read that high.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, SHOenough said:

Just because its a 93 tune does not mean its pushing the motor to its breaking point. It just makes the car be what it should have been from the factory.

You can also specify what you want from the tuner in terms of tunes. You can get a 93 tune that has a bit more mid-range so it'll pass better, and a bit more top end (because why not) and you'll average better mileage as well.

Plus, if you do tune only there is no way you're coming close to pushing the turbo to its limit. The stock MAP can't read that high.

I'm not saying the tune alone will lead to problems, but ones tendency to drive the car much harder with almost 50 more hp will. Those tunes advance the timing on the engine big time as well.

If it were my car I probably would tune it simply due to all the other advantage the tune offers, its just making sure you don't start sacrificing engine life on a 4 door family sedan for performance. I wouldn't mess with much else, leave it all stock. Enjoy the fact that you know that your common sedan is a step above the other ones you are likely going to run into on the road.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I will probably look into it in October after my house is paid off.  I will have a bigger budget to work with then.  I did my first mod today.  I'm going to start a new thread for the Fusion later tonight, but I did plastidip (duplicolor wrap) the upper grille matte black to match the lower.  I left the chrome beauty ring because it looks better that way.  Now I think the front looks cohesive with the wheels.  So far I've put about 75 miles on it since Feb 15....still no regrets.  I do have a question about maintenance that others with turbo cars can fill me in on.   What type of oil should I run in this car?  It's had motor craft semi syn since new, but shouldn't I run a synthetic to reduce the chances of oil coking my turbos?

 

 

Thanks

Jeff

 

IMAG0141.jpg

2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd run Mobil 1 Full Syn of whatever grade Ford says to use. I have never heard anyone say anything bad about Mobil 1 ever and that full synthetic should be up to the job. Like any modern engine with VCT or VVT or DIVCT or whatever use what grade of oil the manufacturer says since those systems all run off the oil pressure. I wouldn't worry much about heat, I think the 1.5 EB has a water/oil cooler mounted to the front of the block.

Like any turbo car too, (I don't care if someone disagrees with this or not) after a drive where you are pushing the car harder do not just shut the car off right away, let that engine idle for a minute to cool that turbo down. Those things suck up alot of heat to actually work and it can take a while for it to dissipate, keep the air/oil/coolant moving though it for a minute or so if you were just pushing it hard. I know its not seeing the temperature of a diesel engine but I've seen guys let turbo diesels idle for 5 minutes to get their EGTs down after running it hard.

2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd ever recommend getting a larger intercooler 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, ShelbyRacer78 said:

I'd ever recommend getting a larger intercooler 

Intercooler is water to air on the 1.5L, so its not so simple. You can see it pretty easy when you pop the hood, it basically is the intake manifold, kind silver looking with 2 coolant hoses going to it. It fits right onto the engine block so I doubt it would be an easy swap or cheap for aftermarket.

Silver is all intercooler. The 2 blue "stoppers" are sealing off the coolant in and out lines.

ford-15l-ecoboost-engine-on-line3-600-00

Follow the pressure air intake going right to it.

2015-ford-fusion-se-ecoboost-1-5-engine.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Thub said:

Intercooler is water to air on the 1.5L, so its not so simple. You can see it pretty easy when you pop the hood, it basically is the intake manifold, kind silver looking with 2 coolant hoses going to it.

Never knew that 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, ShelbyRacer78 said:

Never knew that 

I think it all started for Ford with the 6.7L PSD, whats cool there is it has a independent cooling system that runs colder than the engine coolant. I would assume most of the new EB engines use a water to air charged air cooler, except for a few models. I would have to believe the Focus RS is a normal air to air intercooler based on the massive cooler you can see in the lower part of the grill.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

levels intercooler is 700 def not cheap lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.