• Announcements

• Sean T.

Having trouble logging in after the update?   04/25/16

After the forum update, you need to use your displayed name as your login. Your password should remain the same. If you are still having trouble, please e-mail Sean [email protected] and he can reset your password.
    • Sean T.

Help Support TSOC by Making a Donation!   01/29/17

TSOC is funded by donations only. The operating expenses for TSOC are about $320 annually for hosting, domains, and IP Board license renewals. Support from our members is greatly appreciated! As always, we are grateful for ANY and ALL donations! From $1.00 to $100.00, anything you give will support the forums and community experience. At any time, you are free to make a standard donation towards our operating expenses. Surplus funds will stay with the forum for next year, so even if it appears we have enough cash on hand, we're always in need of donations! When you make a donation towards our operating expenses, your membership will automatically upgrade based on your donation amount. (Please see the link below for more info)     Click HERE to learn more about our membership levels!  
    • Sean T.

!!! *** Known Issue for New Member Sign-Up *** !!!   04/20/17

It has been brought to our attention that new members are unable to sign up. Producing an error code EX1364. We are aware of the issue and are working to resolve it. In the mean time, if you encounter this error, please send a message using the "Contact Us" link at the bottom of the page, and we will contact you when it has been resolved.
Jeff

Marilyn: Jeffs 2009 Sable Premier

188 posts in this topic

As long as your smart enough to make sure the pos and neg cable dont touch it's fine :P

As long as your smart enough to make sure the pos and neg cable dont touch it's fine :P

Takes more than smarts.

Leave the engine running and let the + hit any metal and hard to tell what happens next.

Un do the cable with the engine running and likely overvoltage spike the system.

I'm never going to risk that.

-chart-

Blackout you are a bozo for doing that. There's so many reasons for why it a a bad idea. This is why shops like Goodyear and Firestone have the reputation and customer feed back of Comcast.

2 people like this

Blackout you are a bozo for doing that. There's so many reasons for why it a a bad idea. This is why shops like Goodyear and Firestone have the reputation and customer feed back of Comcast.

Of charter* worse customer feedback than comcast!

Just want to let everyone know....Marilyn has a broken windshield now :/. I'm calling Monday to see how much it'll cost me for a replacement.

if necessary ill have someone hold the cables...cars like Hondas have a stupid code for the radio which most customers dont have.  had one incident of a customer coming back because i turned off the car while disconnecting the battery because i didnt know about the code and I had to call the dealer and give em the VIN and other info such a pain in the ass :(

They've arrived! Pics coming very soon! These will be wrapped in Kumho Solus Eco KL21 tires in the stock 225/55r18 98H size. The tires I purchased used with 8-9/32nds tread depth for $100. Take offs from a low mileage Hyundai Tuscon.

Jeff

post-1374-0-19395100-1392701165_thumb.jp

1 person likes this

very nice :)

Please excuse the dirty car.....

Jeff

post-1374-0-36231600-1392814871_thumb.jp

2 people like this

Dang, that looks sharp!

Looks awesome! :thumbs:

Thanks y'all! Here's a pic I took the other day....thought I might post it. The 01 Taurus is not mine, but I thought including it would make a neat picture

Jeff

post-1374-0-39989800-1393206361_thumb.jp

1 person likes this

SOOOO MUCH SILVER!!!!!

1 person likes this

Also,

The 09 got a new LH strut mount and LH sway bar link. I'd say that replacing them has gotten rid of 85-90% of the suspension noise I was hearing. I'll look a little deeper soon and see what else may be worn. I'm also posting a pic of the new mount (Raybestos Professional)vs old mount (motorcraft)still installed on the RH side. The position of the strut rod has me puzzled....anybody have thoughts? I'm probably going to replace the RH mount soon.post-1374-0-20170600-1393206764_thumb.jppost-1374-0-34354800-1393206781_thumb.jppost-1374-0-21434000-1393206805_thumb.jp

Fully detailed the interior and exterior yesterday...knowing full well we were getting ice today. I used Armor All Extreme Shield wax with Teflon....supposedly you can rinse everything off bc nothing sticks. It beads well....we will see how well it works.. Also, a Milestone worth a pic. I've driven this car 1750 miles in two months! 500 of that was in the first day of ownership though....

post-1374-0-71933300-1393811219_thumb.jppost-1374-0-57581200-1393811358_thumb.jppost-1374-0-36186200-1393811458_thumb.jppost-1374-0-92781100-1393811488_thumb.jp

Jeff

1 person likes this

Just purchased another front strut mount for the passenger side. Rockauto was out of the Raybestos 520-1638 Professional Grade mount that I purchased last time. I like to keep the same brand on both sides so I ordered from Amazon. Amazon was $8 cheaper(due to free shipping)! Should have it here sometime this week....also replacing the sway bar link on the passenger side while I'm at it just to keep things evened out...

Jeff

1 person likes this

Finally the strut mount is on it's way......from Campbellville, Kentucky!!!!!

Just purchased another front strut mount for the passenger side. Rockauto was out of the Raybestos 520-1638 Professional Grade mount that I purchased last time. I like to keep the same brand on both sides so I ordered from Amazon. Amazon was $8 cheaper(due to free shipping)! Should have it here sometime this week....also replacing the sway bar link on the passenger side while I'm at it just to keep things evened out...

Jeff

Good call. My CDO would explode knowing different sides have different parts.

The aesthetic difference between the mounting studs and hardware between the motorcraft and Raybestos does bother me. I am replacing the passenger mount though really because it is also clunking on bumps.....but it is very subdued compared to how bad the drivers mount was. I decided to go with an aftermarket mount basically because the motorcraft ones are known to be junk and people replacing them multiple times only for the problem to return rather quickly. I'm hoping by going with a different brand that I can avoid having to do this again in the near future. Only time will tell. This is the first car I've ever owned that needed mounts at only 50k miles . No telling how long the previous owner lived with the clunking either.....so I'm not sure how long they've actually been bad.

Jeff

Today, I gave the Sable it's second oil change. Roughly 2700 miles since I changed it in January. Switched the car to full synthetic 5w20 and used a Motorcraft FL500S filter. Also, did the first of three transmission drain and refills. I got 5 1/4 quarts out this time. Put Supertech Mercon V and a quart of Advance brand Mercon V( that I already had on hand) in. I'll run that for a week or so and then do it again. Then on my last drain and fill I'll be performing the TSB transmission line upgrade to address the harmonic resonance issue with the original lines. The upgraded lines were introduced with the 2010 Taurus and do not mount to the body like the originals. Already have the lines new from Ford, but figured I'd just wait until the last one so I can hopefully drain more on the final service. Also, had a TPMS sensor fall off inside the tire and get damaged. To circumvent this issue from happening again, I swapped them Tuesday afternoon to the valve stem type sensors that bolt to the rim. Boy, that TPMS fault indicator sure is annoying. I used aftermarket VDO Redi Sensors for that repair. First 3000 miles of ownership seems to be costing just a little in neglected maintenance, but otherwise car is great!

Jeff

1 person likes this

It got it's first hand wash of spring! I'm really liking the extreme shield wax I used a few months back....the finish is still holding up nicely.

image_zps01e71d1d.jpg

Jeff

1 person likes this

Changed the plugs yesterday. Car had just shy of 54k on the original platinum Motorcraft plugs.

Here is what you need:

8mm socket

13mm socket

10" extension

6" extension

Ratchet

Trim remover tool(for those plastic tree clips)

6 of your choice spark plugs

1 plenum gasket set(it's not required but cheap insurance in case your old ones don't seal up)

I used 6 of these

image_zps6b08b29f.jpg

And this

image_zps063150b4.jpg

After 6 intake bolts, 1 fuel rail bracket bolt, 1 intake support bolt, 4 strut tower brace bolts, 6 coil bolts, some emission lines, and air cleaner tube removed, I had this:

image_zpse23306b2.jpg

(When I took this pic I hadn't removed the coils)

After the engine was cool I removed the plugs, dabbed anti seize on the new ones and installed hand tight then snugged with a ratchet. This was a very easy DIY project.

New plenum gaskets lightly oiled prior to seating in the plenum:

image_zps765a4928.jpg

Torque specs for the plenum bolts are 7.5 lb ft and the little fuel rail bracket is roughly half that. There is a tightening sequence as well but I don't have my diagram with me atm.

All in all about 60.00 DIY project using the products I chose. Car is running super smooth now and the miss I had seems to be cured(no CEL). Should be good for another 40-50k now!

Jeff

Beautiful Sable Jeff!  I know this thread is about the 09, but do you still mess with the '92 Sable?

The 92 was donated to a needy family in my community, but they have yet to pick it up. I pretty much decided to stop spending money on it. It is pretty much brand new at this point though....minus a catalytic converter

Jeff