Trans Problem On The 99 Sho

The problem happened when I went to drive on some 2x4's to raise the car up to replace my rusted out Y-pipe.I put it in D and nothing tried regular D nothing,put it in 1st and got the RPM's up around 2k and it will move very slowly forward ,less then 1 MPH no faster.Reverse works fine.I also noticed since the drive way has a slope that in drive and no brakes on the car will roll backwards.The transmission never showed any problems before this happened.I have checked the fluid and it is at a normal level and the fluid/filter was just changed about 2 months ago.

Similar issue happened on our 06 Jeep commander. Day after Xmas went out hopped in, started it, put it in drive, nothing, reverse nothing, any position, nothing.

For us it was the hydraulic pump failed. 2500 dollars later she was good to go.

Good luck with your tranny, probably time for overhaul.

Man, I would take it to a transmission shop that will diagnose it first. A lot of trans problems can be fixed without being rebuilt. Twice we (my parents and I) were told that the transmission was out on our '97 Sable, despite it having been serviced regularly. Both times it was a relatively minor problem (speed sensor one time, and modulator-related the next time) and she was back on the road. I can't promise that it's something like that, of course, the symptoms were different but suffice it to say we were lucky that we decided to get a second opinion both times.

I bet somebody here will have a better suggestion as to what to do next in a while.

**EDIT** DO NOT take it to AAMCO, they're terrible. Avoid chain stores, go for a local independent shop or a Ford dealer if you have to. Call around to get a diagnosis fee first. Sometimes a local Ford or Lincoln dealer may be cheaper, when I worked for one, we were cheaper than local shops to diag trans issues, and we had a certified technician.

Edited by JohnTaurus

There are two types of 99 SHO tranny - with OD button and without OD button.

Older 99's have OD and I believe one can shift selector to D1 and D2. Newer ones don't have OD button or D2 feature.

If older style, try D2 selection.

Off the top of my head it sounds like a valvebody issue, maybe a shift solenoid. If the pump failed, you would not be able to use reverse either.

There are two types of 99 SHO tranny - with OD button and without OD button.

Older 99's have OD and I believe one can shift selector to D1 and D2. Newer ones don't have OD button or D2 feature.

If older style, try D2 selection.

Off the top of my head it sounds like a valvebody issue, maybe a shift solenoid. If the pump failed, you would not be able to use reverse either.

That is a good point, any movement forward or back would mean pump still operating.

Mine doesn't have the OD button so it only goes to 1st.So do you think getting my current valve body rebuilt would be a good idea to try then.

I'm not sure on that.I know on my 00 V6 Mustang It was above the filter.I removed that one to have the J-mod done on it.If I can't remove it then I'll have to have it towed in to get fixed.If the transmission does need pulled It will give me a reason to install on of those Transgo shift kits while its out

Could be low pressure, not allowing shifts to happen.  So something in the channel plate, valve body...hard to say.  Check the AX4N diagnosis chart posted on here.