State Auction White Taurus

There's a little back story here. In 2008, I bought a blue Taurus from my neighbor, non-running. Never a Taurus fan, I was looking for reliable transportation. I got the blue Taurus running in no time and quickly started modding with stock parts, digging through bone yards for tasteful upgrades, and overhauled the suspension and brakes. The Blue Bull won COTM in March 2010. I drove the Blue Bull from 2008 with 146xxx miles and my girlfriend drove the last miles of the Blue Bull with 224xxx miles. She blew the head.

Maybe it was a saving grace because I would have taken out everyone on the interstate in order to get the car pulled over so that I could save the Blue Bull. I was hauling ass on my old motorcycle barreling down the interstate and my gf was following behind me. The Blue Bull's headlights got further and further behind me until I could see them no more. I pulled off the interstate and checked my phone to find voicemail and text messages saying that the car was smoking. My primary concern was for my girlfriend and getting her off the side of the highway.
I went home, fetched a helmet, hauled ass back to the scene of the crime where my gf and the Blue Bull sat on the side of the road. An officer's blue lights sat behind the Blue Bull. I assured him that I would be back for the car. I took my girlfriend home, called my cousin, and we hauled the Blue Bull home.

I could not be mad at my girlfriend. No, not at all. I was the one hauling ass on the bike trying to see if my gf would keep up. She was willing, but the Blue Bull wasn't able.

I bought a 1995 Dodge Ram 5.9L because it was cheap and got only 14 mpg. Gas was killing me, but the truck was cheap so I had a way to go, albeit an expensive way to go. I finally had enough of the 14 mpg and went to a state auction where vehicles used by the state of Louisiana are auctioned to the general public. I got my auction card and checked out the keys to auction lot #703.

Beside auction lot #703 sat a 2007 Taurus that auctioned for $3000. That was a good deal on a car that was in good condition. The bidding started on auction lot #703. Bidding started at $1000. No takers. I shook my head. The auctioneer dropped the starting bid to $500. Someone jumped in at $500. I raised my bidding card for $750. The first bidder bid at $1000. The auctioneer looked around for $1250. $1250 once, $1250 twice.... the crowd was silent. I raised my card for $1250.

When I checked out the keys, cranked her up, the idle was steady and solid. Threw her into first gear, no studder. Reverse, no problem. Popped the hood, everything in tact and unmolested. Popped the trunk, no signs of any work anywhere and there was a full size spare. Something was wrong with the windshield wipers. The wiper arm on the drivers side was bent for some reason. The passenger wiper did not move. The drivers side mirror was broken and screwed on with a self tapping screw. Interior in good shape. Exterior needed the state emblems taken off and the paint was worn in a couple of spots on the hood - primer was showing through. I raced the engine until the rev delimiter would not allow any more. Solid. This was my quick inventory of the car when I checked out the keys for just a few minutes.

My heart raced. I thought about all of these things while the crowd was silent after my $1250 bid. I saw folks shake their heads. Finally, "Sold!" said the auctioneer. "$1250."

post-37-0-03737800-1388083821_thumb.jpg
post-37-0-55507100-1388083819_thumb.jpg

Those folks who shook their heads had no way of knowing that I drove a $400 Taurus for five years or that the car was once COTM or that I have an entire parts car at home. No, they don't know any of that.

I got the car home and looked it over once again. It was property of Louisiana Technical College and I assume that since it only has 146xxx miles that they only drove the car from one side of campus to the other. I haven't had any mechanical issues out of it so far. I am attaching pics of the offending coolant leak that appeared after I had the air conditioner changed - the shop had to have left something loose or didn't tighten something... In either case, the coolant leak contributed to the cracked head in the Blue Bull... and I am attaching pics of the white taurus - auction lot #703.

post-37-0-76189600-1388082703_thumb.jpg
post-37-0-34843400-1388082701_thumb.jpg

post-37-0-94545000-1388082701_thumb.jpg
post-37-0-99873000-1388082702_thumb.jpg

I'm back, fellas.

I've already got the black steel wheels off the white taurus and replaced them with the alloy wheels from the Blue Bull, replaced the wiper arms, touched up the hood (will post pics).

And I gave a promise ring to my girlfriend that night after she blew the head on the Blue Bull. I was in a mad dash to get home that night because I wanted to take her out and give her the promise ring. That's why I was hauling ass. We never made it to the restaurant, and she expected me to be mad as hell about hurting my baby (the Blue Bull.) I reminded her that the Blue Bull was just a $400 car. A car, for Christ's sake. I reminded myself of that, too. The Blue Bull was just a $400 car. My girlfriend was very surprised by her promise ring. It took a while for me to come around and share what happened that night. People before things. I put people before things that night.

Glad to be back.

post-37-0-24872700-1388083310_thumb.jpg

Looks pretty good for the age and mileage! It would have cost more for the head gaskets and machine work on the blue bull...not to mention downtime.

Does it have a block heater? That plug in front could be for block heater.

What is this plug in the front of the car?

In the lower grill? It's a block heater if that's what your talking about.

Nice score on the white bull. B)

Ok just got on my computer so I can see better. Yeah thats a block heater, mines the same. much nicer than a cord hanging out.

Used_zps4cbcac84.jpg

You could have looked at this. Rust belt ~13 year old "SE".

Some sucker looking to be taken.

Oh well, not one of the informed here.

-chart-

• 3 months later...

Follow up on first post: Girlfriend :poof:  

Yup, it's a block heater.  I changed the oil a while back and spied a transmission cooler, too.  Very interesting that the state purchased a Taurus with a block heater and transmission cooler.  Saves me from sticking a transmission cooler in there.  We're in South Louisiana... a transmission cooler makes sense.  But a block heater in South Louisiana?  Ain't nobody got no time for that.  lol !

:)

Transmission coolers never came from the factory.  if you're referring to the finned tube that is for the power steering system.

You still should consider a trans cooler if one is not there :)

Transmission coolers never came from the factory.  if you're referring to the finned tube that is for the power steering system.

You still should consider a trans cooler if one is not there :)

So you're saying my '92 doesn't have a Transmission cooler?!?!?!?

None of the 86-07 have a factory "cooler" except the 93-95 SHO and the 86-87 3.0 SLOs, and the 90-95 Police cars had something rigged up front.

None of the 86-07 have a factory "cooler" except the 93-95 SHO and the 86-87 3.0 SLOs, and the 90-95 Police cars had something rigged up front.

Nicks right, I wouldn't qualify a steel tube as a cooler.

I tinkered with the white tuarus today. I transplanted the woodgrain dash, alarm, and grab handles from the Blue Bull to the white taurus.  Also changed the serpentine belt.  I still want the windows tinted.  So that might come next.  It the gas guage is wanky so I still need to transplant the gas tank from the blue bull to the white taurus.  I do have a transmission cooler from a SHO in the shop that I can put on the white taurus.

Congrats on the "new" car! Sounds like you got a good deal!

next...

PICTURES OF THE INSTRUMENT CLUSTER!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The instrument cluster in the white Taurus already has the gray trim in it.  (I pulled the gray trim from a Sable and put it in the Blue Bull...  but no transplant necessary here.  I already have the gray trim in the white Taurus.)

Is the grab handle on the 99 Taurus smaller than the grab handle in the 97 on the passenger front?  Were they deleted in 99?  There are holes in the body in the roof of the car, but the grab handle for the 97 is too large (too long) to fit in the holes of the 99.

Did the plugs on the radio/tape player change from 97 to 99?  I have a radio in the 99.  Thought I was going to plug the tape player/radio from the 97 in to the 99.  Thought wrong.  The plugs are different.  Is my problem that the plugs changed from 97 to 99, or is my problem that the plug for the tape player is different than the plug for the radio/tape player?

Does anyone have a black textured drivers side mirror for a 99?  No paint, no primer.  Plain black plastic.

The 99 does NOT have a split back seat and does not have an electric front driver's seat.  One of these days, a complete interior transplant may be in order.  Not right away, but maybe one day provided that there is something to plug the electric seat in to.  Transplanting the seats would mean bringing those damn nets over to the 99 which it does NOT have.  Thank god the nets were deleted in the white Taurus.

If I move enough stuff over, should I put the GL decal on the 99?  lolol

All Tauruses (to my knowledge) have plugs for power seats. My '93 didn't have them from the factory, but I transplanted 1986 LX seats in it and they plugged right in. Later, I put '96 buckets in, and I had to modify the plug but it worked.

My '95 even has a plug under the passenger's seat for a power seat option.

Cluster pic...

I have not swapped the tanks yet so disregard the full tank with 324 miles.  I still need to get the tank out of the Blue Bull.

post-37-0-29828800-1397053744_thumb.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Did the plugs on the radio/tape player change from 97 to 99?  I have a radio in the 99.  Thought I was going to plug the tape player/radio from the 97 in to the 99.  Thought wrong.  The plugs are different.  Is my problem that the plugs changed from 97 to 99, or is my problem that the plug for the tape player is different than the plug for the radio/tape player?

The answer is yes.  The plugs for the radios changed between 1997 and 1999.  I just grabbed a radio with a tape player from the junkyard.  It has the controls for the CD changer too.  I would like to do the mod to get the aux on the tape player.  That would be awesome if I could use the wires for the CD changer from the radio to do the aux mod (because I have no intention of putting a CD changer in this car.  The radio with the tape deck set me back a whopping $32 from the boneyard.  I suppose I could put my old radio on ebay to recoup my losses.  lol  :P :dancingbanana:

The following questions still remain a mystery:

(I did not check at the junk yard)  -->  Is the passenger front grab handle on the 99 Taurus smaller than the grab handle in the 97 ?  Were they deleted in 99?  There are holes in the body in the roof of the car, but the grab handle for the 97 is too large (too long) to fit in the holes of the 99.

If I move enough stuff over, should I put the GL decal on the 99?  lolol

• 2 weeks later...

Finally replaced the drivers side mirror this weekend. It's no longer screwed in with a self tapping screw. I can see the driver's side mirror now. Woohoo

There are no tweeters behind the speaker covers on the front windows. Damned ford! I suppose I will add that to my list of 'to do's'.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk