I Want A New Car! Or, Do I?

So, I've been driving Tauri around for 5 years now and I'm thinking I really want a new car! The only problem is, she still drives really nice and doesn't cost me hardly anything besides gas and oil changes... No car payment, and my insurance is really low since I don't have "comprehensive" coverage (I currently only pay $89 a month).

I did have to put some money into Tauri this year on various suspension issues and my mechanic says I'll be needing new brake lines and struts and other assorted goodies within a year...

But for right now, she drives fine. Engine is really smooth, transmission is pretty good too. No creaks or rattles or anything like that. The only thing that IS lacking right now is the heater. On a cold night, it takes around 20 minutes of highway driving before the cabin really starts to feel "warm". I try to cheat by putting it on "Max A/C" so it recirculates the warm air instead of drawing in the cold outside air. But that's a small thing I guess.

As for replacements, these two caught my eye...

http://wwwa.autotrader.ca/a/Ford/Fusion/BURLINGTON/Ontario/5_18733892_ON20071122103307952/?showcpo=ShowCPO

http://wwwa.autotrader.ca/a/Ford/Focus/BURLINGTON/Ontario/5_18523509_ON20071122103307952/?showcpo=ShowCPO

I really want something with SYNC so that's a definite. And obviously a Ford... But on the other hand, do I want to pay more $$$???.... Lol

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Well do the math and keep it until repair amount per month starts to reach that new car payment threshold.

Replace your vehicle speed sensor to fix the irregular shifting and speedometer insanity that happens after driving it awhile.  Classic symptoms.  It'll fix it.

If I had to pick between those two you listed, I would absolutely go with the Fusion. Something about the interior of the Focus makes me nervous...Also, my friend drives a Focus like that in black, and it is very small. It handles alright, for a small car, and it's sporty, but I'd much rather drive the Fusion. 

With the Focus, do you really want a smaller car? I notice you prefer red...

Considered an '08 or '09 Taurus/Sable? As long as it's a later build '08 or an '09 you'll have Sync too.

It's just me in the car. I never have any passengers :(

Basically just to and from work. So having something like a Focus is appealing. Plus I'm kind of an MPG freak. I've tracked every trip to the gas station since 2010... One of the bigger knocks against that Fusion is a V6 and AWD = bad MPG lol.

I live in Canada so there are no 08-09  Sables... I test drove a Five Hundred back in 2005 when they first came out. I wasn't really thrilled with the driving position.

Plus, it's sort of an old man's car (no offense).

Obviously I feel loyalty to the Taurus nameplate, but in my eyes, it hasn't really been the same since 2007. Once the next "all new" Taurus comes out, I'll be a happy camper.

About the red, I just love how they look when waxed/cleaned. Nothing beats a clean red car IMO. They stay clean a lot longer too.

I'm open to several colours though, white, black, silver, sterling gray, blue... There's a Fusion at the dealer I go to for oil changes (I don't get any repairs there because it's too expensive lol) and it's a 2009 with 60000kms which is extremely low. It's around $10990 and it's got Sync... The only problem is it's Seafoam/Frosted Glass green :( That's easily my least fave colour.

I basically just want something that's tough (I know Fusions are because my mom used to have an 07 and my Dad has a 10), a good drive, and the Sync. How bland. What happened to my rebellious youth phase? Lol.

Edited by mmmfloorpie

Fusion is nice, but that tan interior is nasty as hell.  Black or gray interior for me.

Focus is just a little to small for my tastes, unless it was some sort of performance model.

The AWD adds about 300lbs if I remember correctly, I would say that is worth while for winters in Canada.

300lbs? Yikes.

This is that low mileage one I was talking about...

http://wwwa.autotrader.ca/a/Ford/Fusion/NIAGARA+FALLS/Ontario/5_18822291_ON20080211122220289/?showcpo=ShowCPO

It's light on options but low on clicks...

300lbs? Yikes.

This is that low mileage one I was talking about...

http://wwwa.autotrader.ca/a/Ford/Fusion/NIAGARA+FALLS/Ontario/5_18822291_ON20080211122220289/?showcpo=ShowCPO

It's light on options but low on clicks...

PTO unit, drive shafts, differential, 2 axle half shafts, and the larger hubs etc.  I know on my friends S40 it lists his AWD T5 as about 300lbs heavier than the regular T5 in the brochure. Its pretty much the exact same system in the Fusion/Taurus/Edge.

Stay away from the 2.3L anyway, not much power and its really buzzy/unrefined. 2.5L in the refresh is much much better.

Well she's gonna be 15 years old in June...

And the thing about keeping Tauri is the money savings... So basically we have saving a butt load of money vs a newer car lol. I thought someone would say "keep Tauri till she dies" lol.

Right now, my Sync is an iPod hooked up through my cassette deck lol. So it's liveable. Just if I am going to go to the trouble of getting a newer car, I defo want sync...  If I got a car without Sync, I'd just always be wanting to get a newer car that had it, so...

A car payment would probably only be around $200 or so if I get a car in the price range of that Focus/Fusion... I'm just worried about what's going to happen to my insurance :(

My take on this whole situation:

-Keep your current Taurus. It's in great shape (you said so yourself), and regardless of the age, it will likely continue to give you good driving as long as you take care of it. 

-If you don't want your Taurus anymore, go with a Fusion. It's larger and slightly safer than a Focus. The AWD, especially for snowy/rainy weather, is worth the loss in fuel economy (to me, anyway). Stay away from 4 cylinder models. My friend has a 4 cylinder '06 Milan. Nice car, mostly, but noisy and unrefined. As an '06, there are kinks that hadn't been worked out and the interior and exterior is kind of starting to fall apart...

-If you must get something with better fuel economy (not a Fusion), then make sure that you test drive the Focus thoroughly. I wasn't a huge fan of it when I drove my friends. It wasn't terrible (it was sporty, at least) but the interior is very small, and it will not handle as well in the snow as your Taurus or even the Fusion. 

Fin. lol

My take on this whole situation:

-Keep your current Taurus. It's in great shape (you said so yourself), and regardless of the age, it will likely continue to give you good driving as long as you take care of it. 

-If you don't want your Taurus anymore, go with a Fusion. It's larger and slightly safer than a Focus. The AWD, especially for snowy/rainy weather, is worth the loss in fuel economy (to me, anyway). Stay away from 4 cylinder models. My friend has a 4 cylinder '06 Milan. Nice car, mostly, but noisy and unrefined. As an '06, there are kinks that hadn't been worked out and the interior and exterior is kind of starting to fall apart...

-If you must get something with better fuel economy (not a Fusion), then make sure that you test drive the Focus thoroughly. I wasn't a huge fan of it when I drove my friends. It wasn't terrible (it was sporty, at least) but the interior is very small, and it will not handle as well in the snow as your Taurus or even the Fusion. 

Fin. lol

I just needed someone else to tell me that...

I drove a last gen Focus for a couple days once and it really was a lousy ride...

My ideal car would be a 12 Focus though...

As I've said before when others started this kind of thread... keep the car that you own outright unless you absolutely need to get rid of it now. A 15 year old car... whatever. :P I drove a 26 year-old resto project halfway across the damn country this fall, with no reason for concern. If you're bored with the '99, that's one thing. But it's mechanically sound and you pay for nothing except cheap insurance, maintenance and fuel. The monthly payment comparison is inaccurate. You can't validly compare the economics of getting a new car until this old one actually costs more money to keep it on the road than the purchase price of a replacement vehicle. Otherwise, it is cheaper both now and over the long term.

As I've said before when others started this kind of thread... keep the car that you own outright unless you absolutely need to get rid of it now. A 15 year old car... whatever. :P I drove a 26 year-old resto project halfway across the damn country this fall, with no reason for concern. If you're bored with the '99, that's one thing. But it's mechanically sound and you pay for nothing except cheap insurance, maintenance and fuel. The monthly payment comparison is inaccurate. You can't validly compare the economics of getting a new car until this old one actually costs more money to keep it on the road than the purchase price of a replacement vehicle. Otherwise, it is cheaper both now and over the long term.

"Bored with the '99"... I think you hit the nail on the head.

I'm very bored with the car lol. I'd say I'll just keep driving it until it dies, but at this rate, it might never die lol. My luck I get the one reliable Taurus...

I was going to suggest the Ford Mustang GT as a second car, or maybe a 4x4 F-150. Either one can be had with Sync and both of them can be easily customized to suit your tastes if desired. But, insurance and a car payment for a car you don't drive might not be your ideal situation lol.

The Taurus can continue to serve as your daily driver. If one day it won't start, you do have an alternative, unless of course you take a chance on a Mustang GT and it's January, lol.

I know that's what I'd do if I had the money, though, I'd buy a nice second car/vehicle and keep my Taurus until it's so bad off I must get rid of it, even then I might get another one. I've had a lot of Taurus/Sables, lol