adio

No Output From New Mechman Alternator

Just put a new mechman alternator in and when I turn on the car I get no output from it. Clamped it and got like 1-2 amps TOPS. Not sure whats going on here. Have my positive wire hooked up correctly. Only thing I can think of is that the belt is too big due to the smaller pulley, but I would think it would put atleast SOME power out. Any way to tell if the ECU plug is damaged? My bottom bolt wont go in either, could this have any affect what so ever? I would think that since Mechman birth tests their alts, it would be DOA. Any suggestions?

Just put a new mechman alternator in and when I turn on the car I get no output from it. Clamped it and got like 1-2 amps TOPS. Not sure whats going on here. Have my positive wire hooked up correctly. Only thing I can think of is that the belt is too big due to the smaller pulley, but I would think it would put atleast SOME power out. Any way to tell if the ECU plug is damaged? My bottom bolt wont go in either, could this have any affect what so ever? I would think that since Mechman birth tests their alts, it would be DOA. Any suggestions?

Belt tension is important, pull on it and see if it is taunt. The missing bolt is dangerous especially on the bottom as the belt tension could pull the alt out of position and damage the threads in the aluminum.

Note, '00 and '01 use a different alt from '02 and on. The regulator is different as the PCM adjusts the voltage out on the later ones, but not on the '00 and '01. Important to have the right year Alt.

-chart-

Edited by -chart-

I ordered the 02-05 tec alternator from them, unless they shipped me the wrong one. If it helps at all, on my previous alternator, a few occasions not too long ago it wouldn't charge right away after turning on the car. I'm wondering if there's something electrically screwed up in my car.

Alright had shop put on a smaller belt. It is now putting out proper voltage while crusing. But when the car is warmed up and idling at 650 rpm my voltage drops down to 12.7-13v, then when I accelerate my voltage surges to 15.3v back down to steady a 14.4v. Whats going on here, I've been through 3 different high out alternators in the past few months and they ALL had low voltage issues at idle, some worse than others (~12.0-12.2v). Does the belt need to go down even a size smaller or is there something else at fault here?

AltOutPut_zps88411bdc.jpg

Here is the published amps vs engine RPM for DOHC with standard alt pulley and such. Volts is not the issue so much as how many amps the system is using and what rpm the engine is idling at. If the belt is slipping then all bets are off but, more likely to slip at higher rpm as the alt load goes up quickly with rpm.

If you achieve 14.8V or more at 2000 rpm after a short time for the battery to get charged, then all is well. My Sables give ~40A at idle in "N" according to my clamp on meter on the alt to fuse box wire. The Taurus/Sables line uses a large pulley on the alt to manage most usages. For example, my Lin Cont with the same 130A alternator turns at 50% more rpm than the Taurus/Sables. They have far higher elect load due to larger everything as well as redundant lighting.

-chart-

Thing is that my stock alternator would idle at 14.4v. This high output alternator has a smaller pulley like your Lincoln does to make the alternator spin faster. 

BeltTensioner_zpsc0c2af2a.jpg

Here is the belt tensioner. On the car the index mark must fall between the red lines of the working band on the housing. If not, your belt is the wrong size. Of course this pic is of a tensioner off the car so it is at it's stop.

-chart-

BeltTensioner_zps5b04b29d.jpg

My Index mark is where I drew in the blue line. Is that ok or could I get a smaller belt on it.

BeltTensioner_zps5b04b29d.jpg

My Index mark is where I drew in the blue line. Is that ok or could I get a smaller belt on it.

You are right in the middle, if your tensioner is free and the belt good you do not have a belt issue. I pull on the longer stretch of belt and make the tensioner move back and forth to insure if moves smooth.

-chart-