Sign in to follow this  
TaurusKev

Howto: Enabling/disabling Auto Locks On Gen 1 - 6 Ford Products

For those curious, if your Gen 1 or Gen 2 Ford or Mercury branded vehicle has a keypad, and remote keyless entry, this procedure SHOULD work for you! (I say should, because there's always that what-if, or possible bad sensor in seat, or bad keypad. If you think this is an issue, diagnose each accordingly)

Autolock
Per the Ford Service manual from the 95 MY:

NOTE:
This feature is only available on vehicles with automatic transaxles.

All doors will automatically lock after all the following steps are completed.
l The autolock feature is activated.
l The driver seat is occupied.
l All doors are fully closed.
l The ignition switch (11572) is in the RUN position.
l The shift control selector lever passes through the REVERSE position.
After initial lock, all doors automatically relock when any door is opened and then closed, except if driver seat is empty or ignition switch is OFF.

To activate the autolock feature, use the following steps:

1. Enter the five-digit permanent entry code into keyless entry keypad (14A626).
2. Press and hold the 7/8 button on the keyless entry keypad within five seconds of entering the code.
3. Press and then release the 3/4 button within five seconds of pressing and holding the 7/8 button.
4. Release the 7/8 button on keyless entry keypad within five seconds of releasing the 3/4 button.

To deactivate the autolock, repeat the above sequence.

For Gen 3 Taurus/Sable:

Appears you can go either way. Perform the Gen 2 method, or the Gen 4 Method. Gen 4 is below

For Gen 4 Taurus/Sable:

Here's for Gen 4:

Autolock is a feature that will automatically lock all doors when all of the
following occurs:
- all vehicle doors and liftgate are fully closed
- the ignition key is in the RUN position
- vehicle is not in P (Park) or N (Neutral)
- vehicle speed exceeds 5 kph (3 mph)
The autolock feature repeats when all of the above occur and any door is opened and then closed

1. Turn the ignition to the 4 (ON) position, then press the power door UNLOCK control 3 times.
2. Turn the ignition to the 3 (OFF) position, then press the power door UNLOCK control 3 times.
3. Turn the ignition to the 4 (ON) position. The horn will chirp one time as confirmation that the programming mode is staged.
4. Within 5 seconds, press the power door UNLOCK control and then press the power door LOCK control. Note: The horn will chirp once if autolock was deactivated or chirp once then honk (one short and one long chirp) if autolock was activated.
5. Turn the ignition to the 3 (OFF) position. The horn will chirp once to confirm the procedure is complete.

For those unfamiliar with key positions:

keypositions.png

Gen 5 Taurus/Sable, shockingly... Not different from Gen 4, but you CAN go back to programming with the keypad! (Who doesn't love using keypads... :wub: )

Power door lock switch autolock enable/disable procedure

1. Turn the ignition to the off position.
2. Close all the doors.
3. Enter factory–set 5–digit entry code.
4. Press and hold the 3 • 4. While holding the 3 • 4 press the 7 • 8.
5. Release the 7 • 8.
6. Release the 3 • 4.

And, Ford added Auto Unlock, which can be disabled:

Power door lock switch autounlock enable/disable procedure. Before starting, ensure the ignition is in the off position and all vehicle doors are closed. You must complete Steps 1–5 within 30 seconds or the procedure will have to be repeated. If the procedure needs to be repeated, wait a minimum of 30 seconds before beginning again.
1. Place the key in the ignition and turn the ignition to the on position.
2. Press the power door unlock control on the door panel three times.
3. Turn the ignition from the on position to the off position.
4. Press the power door unlock control on the door panel three times.
5. Turn the ignition back to the on position. The horn will chirp one time to confirm programming mode has been entered and is active.
6. To enable/disable the autounlock feature, press the lock control, then press the unlock control. The horn will chirp once if autounlock was deactivated or twice (one short and one long chirp) if autounlock was activated.
7. Turn the ignition to the off position. The horn will chirp once to confirm the procedure is complete. Keyless entry keypad autounlock enable/disable procedure

Or via Keypad:

1. Turn the ignition to the off position.
2. Close all the doors.
3. Enter factory–set 5–digit entry code.
4. Press and hold the 3 • 4. While holding the 3 • 4, press and release the 7 • 8. While still holding the 3 • 4, press and release the 7 • 8 a second time.
5. Release the 3 • 4.

The user should receive a horn chirp to indicate the system has been disabled or a chirp followed by a honk to indicate the system has been enabled.

Gen 6: Good bye keypad, but you can use Gen 5's methods, OR!!! Use your instrument cluster... Welcome to the digital age, you folks have it easiest to disable/enable these features :P

• Like 1

Now it makes sense - that explains the sensor in the butt cushion of a driver seat from a 1990 Sable LS w/door keypad.  Interesting.

Cool feature.

I love my autolocks.  :wub:

So gen 1's got it too? Nice. I gotta see how hard it is to install said switch.

To enable or disable the auto lock feature on vehicles without the keypad is simply done by a combination of pressing the lock and unlock button in some sort of sequence.

Gen 1/2's without RKE would lack this all together, since there are less modules, and door locks are very primitive.

However, I did update this Howto for all generations of Taurii/Sables. I checked 95, 96, 97, and 99, 2000, and 2007, and 2009, and 2012. Directions seem to all be the same after Gen 3's for using the key On/Off.

I can't really check older models, since the repair program I use doesn't give procedures like that to enable/disable. But... When I looked at wiring diagrams for 86/87's, it did show the same seat sensor, and reverse in input which is what triggers the autolock on the older remote keyless entry system.

I believe the headlight illumination during unlocking is also programmed in a similar manner. I remember disabling it on my dad's Fusion by using the lock and unlock button.

In my car all I do is hit 'setup' on the steering wheel until I get to 'auto lock'. Then I hit reset to change it from 'on' to 'off'.... then hit info to get out or wait for it to time out. Can do the same with auto unlock or how long the auto lamps stay on after I leave the car.... Can turn easy entry on and off too.

SO gen 5 and 6 can use the cluster.

For the record, auto unlock is where when you open the drivers door after turning the car off it unlocks the rest of the doors. It's not the stupid feature of some cars where when you put the car into Park it unlocks all of the doors. That's just stupid. Dangerous in some ways too. I like the way my car does it a lot!

In my cluster it gives me the option to have the illuminated entry/exit stay on for 0, 10, 20, 30, 60, 120, or 180 seconds. Something like that. May be slightly different. I have it set at 30. 60 is too long but anything less than 30 is too little. It's nice when you're somewhere dark!

Edited by breeves002

Ah, did not see mention either cluster or the way I posted. BUT! should your instrument cluster ever break, or your clockspring goes bad and cannot use your steering wheel buttons... Now you know how to do it :P

Good to know! Isn't it in the owners manual lol?

It is helpful to have the information - everyone thanks you.

For the record, the gen 6.5 is different than the gen 6 in the cluster. The gen 6 is very similar to the gen 5 cluster, but the gen 6.5 requires different navigation of menu's. Never done it, but I know it is different.

Fords entire door locking system is leaps and bounds better than GM's setup.  You can't open the door from the inside in a GM car if the door is locked, stupidest thing ever.  My friend who has spent his entire life around GM cars is amazed every time he can open the door from the inside of my Taurus or Explorer while it is locked. 

To me at least it is the most annoying thing when you are the passenger trying to exit a GM vehicle and the door won't freaking open.  The driver either has to put the car in park and they all unlock like Sam described is stupid, or you have the awkward moment of you grabbing the handle and the driver trying to unlock the door for you with his/her switch.

• Like 1

I never noticed with GM's.

And yeah, owners manuals may contain this, but some people with Gen 1/2's may lack those, and Ford doesn't provide those on their website.

Not entirely sure the procedure is in the manual though, I need to dig mine out to check.

Yeah my grandmas cadillac always bugged the crap out of me. Can't open the door with it locked, and it unlocks when you put it in park....

My car will let you exit the front doors without unlocking, but the rear doors require you to either open the drivers door with auto unlock enabled or hit the unlock button. You can just pull the little lock thing too if you want...

The KIA is a bit worse in one way but better in another. It will lock the doors when you put the car in drive and unlock them when you put it in park. The only problem with this is if you pick someone up and leave the car in drive (foot on the brake, hit the unlock button manually), the doors won't re-lock. Kind of annoying!

The 04 TSX won't auto lock at all. Wasn't an option. And we all thought Honda's were better, right? :P