• Announcements

• Sean T.

Having trouble logging in after the update?   04/25/16

After the forum update, you need to use your displayed name as your login. Your password should remain the same. If you are still having trouble, please e-mail Sean at [email protected] and he can reset your password.
    • Sean T.

Help Support TSOC by Making a Donation!   01/29/17

TSOC is funded by donations only. The operating expenses for TSOC are about $320 annually for hosting, domains, and IP Board license renewals. Support from our members is greatly appreciated! As always, we are grateful for ANY and ALL donations! From $1.00 to $100.00, anything you give will support the forums and community experience. At any time, you are free to make a standard donation towards our operating expenses. Surplus funds will stay with the forum for next year, so even if it appears we have enough cash on hand, we're always in need of donations! When you make a donation towards our operating expenses, your membership will automatically upgrade based on your donation amount. (Please see the link below for more info)     Click HERE to learn more about our membership levels!  
    • Sean T.

!!! *** Known Issue for New Member Sign-Up *** !!!   04/20/17

It has been brought to our attention that new members are unable to sign up. Producing an error code EX1364. We are aware of the issue and are working to resolve it. In the mean time, if you encounter this error, please send a message using the "Contact Us" link at the bottom of the page, and we will contact you when it has been resolved.

167 posts in this topic

^Correct.

I've been pondering and putting together lists and costs and whatnot.  Whilst doing all this I've been listening to Queen and I think.....for the first time...  A fitting name for a rather masculine looking wagon:

Freddie Mercury

I think so....

Anyone wondering...I've been chatting with Nick about when I can pick this car up.  We've tentatively came up with early November so I'll likely have the wagon here before winter, but it's basically going right into storage and very little if anything will be done to it before spring.  What a joyous 2015 this car has coming!  Looking forward to it even more than I was when I did the 92....which has found a new home.  It's found it's way to being the first car for one of my employee's son's...a high school freshman.  His name is Cameron and while he was a little put back by the 90's styling and the un-cool factor...it grew on him and he's enjoying it.  He was impressed by how smooth it was...and how new it drove.  It better....it was basically brand new.  Here's the part where I tell you....I lost $7500+ on that deal and I'm okay with that.  Anyways.....on to another new project!  This one I'm keeping.

Jeff

1 person likes this

I just purchased a NOS RH marker assy for the wagon on Ebay.  I bought it now just in case it disappears and it was an awesome deal....$20 bucks brand new($75 new @ Rockauto).  Too good to pass up and the wagon was in need of this exact piece.  Also, buying a pair of OEM horns and bracket assy from Brian as I believe Zach told me the car was missing these as well.  I've priced everything to put brand new brakes all the way around and a new rack and lines.....old stock mechanical parts for this car are cheap and seem to be readily available.  

Jeff

Good to hear. I could assume once everything is finally repaired, it'll be one of the nicest Sable wagons around.

I'll give it my best shot!  This one I definitely want to keep and use so it may not be done to a very high level cosmetically, but with all my cars they are 100% mechanically sound and likely mostly new in that regard.  I'm still toying with the idea of a re-manufactured  3.8 for this car that comes with a 3 year 150K mile warranty.  I'm very much interested in that option mainly because it can be had for around $1200.00 which isn't bad at all.

Jeff

Good idea.

Lots of updates!  I'll be headed to get the car soon!  While there I'm stopping off at the PullAPart in Columbia to pick up, at least, a new LH front door to replace the one with the holes drilled in it.  Bullgeek will be tagging along and I hear we are also going to pull a dash from the same 87 that will donate it's door.   Also, have a lead on a new lightbar grille from Sean T..working the details out on that.  With much thought, I've decided, with the input of others whom I trust, to change the color of the wagon to color code 3Y Medium Regatta Blue metallic....a 1986 color that will look great with the silver lower molding color!  Kind of sucks because now I'll have to paint all the jambs.  I'll paint the underhood seperate well ahead of the rest of them while I have the engine and trans out for the engine swap I have planned.  I'll just have to hope it matches pretty close once I get ready to paint the rest.

EDIT:  I also really like the Chrysler color RB3 Medium Blue Metallic Pearlcoat  from 1995.  It's a slightly darker blue metallic than the Regatta.

We will see where this goes...

Regards,

Jeff

Edited by Jeff

EDIT:  I also really like the Chrysler color RB3 Medium Blue Metallic Pearlcoat  from 1995.  It's a slightly darker blue metallic than the Regatta.

We will see where this goes...

Regards,

Jeff

Stay on the Ford side and go with the 3Y. It really does look good.

Since I got to deal with the Sable one last time, I removed the spotlight and replaced the rear wiper motor. However, it would seem that there might be a damaged wire for the rear motor, since the rear wires are done much like the defroster grid and I got no response out of the replacement one. Rear wiper washer works fine.

On a parting note:

087HrP.jpg

Jeff, best of luck to you on this one.

1 person likes this

Thanks Zach!  I'll be sure to build something that will make you proud.  I've been itching for a wagon for a while....almost bought an 87 Taurus wagon fleet stripper edition, but I guess it wasn't meant to be.  This was just after you'd decided to keep this one and repair it.  I'm happy you decided to sell it because yours was the car I really wanted anyways, but at the time  was strapped and could not afford any luxury items such as a project.    You'll see it around......when it's all said and done your part in it's legacy will live on for years to come.  I'm very excited to bring this one back like I did with the 92 sedan.  More so with this one because it is near fully equipped and not a stripper model.  You did the best thing that could've happened to this car and that was keep it out of the crusher.  

Regards,

Jeff

Edited by Jeff

It also happens to have every factory option for an '89 Sable LS wagon except for the third row bench, picnic tray, moonroof, or floor shifter/center console.

I know of a picnic tray that needs a good home...

Perhaps I should check one more off the list...since the rest aren't as easily accomplished.

Let me tell you, the picnic table is an amazing feature. I couldn't see my life without it. :)

I know of a picnic tray that needs a good home...

Perhaps I should check one more off the list...since the rest aren't as easily accomplished.

If you could somehow magic that Instaclear windshield out of that '87 sedan and get it functional, you might just wind up having a unicorn.

Id bet that the wiring isn't present from the factory

Jeff

It sure as hell is present in the donor car.

I drove this wagon about 20 feet over the weekend in SC. It... runs almost as good as it looks.

post-3-0-57161500-1413897394_thumb.jpg

Well now that can't be very good! lol Gimme about a year or so. Hopefully by then it'll be near new.

Jeff

I forgot to mention, I didn't remember to grab the rest of the lower door trim from my garage before I went to the meet. That '87 down at the yard had its trim, so you might want to grab it.

I'll be travelling through Georgia on my way there(dropping off a transmission near Atlanta to be built for one of my employee's Lightning).  I can either swing by or get the trim off of that car at the yard.  I'll have to figure out how to remove it though....

Edited by Jeff

Zach also named this car "Fifty Shades of Gray" during the weekend SC meet. :ph34r:

1 person likes this

Jeff, I sent you a PM too, but figure I'll post here... if anyone knows or can explain, how to remove the headlights and corner lamps?

Brian that explains the blown suspension.....

Jeff

1 person likes this

Jeff, I sent you a PM too, but figure I'll post here... if anyone knows or can explain, how to remove the headlights and corner lamps?

The headlights were originally removed by undoing the aiming screws until they came out, however, it doesn't look like you should have to do that since at the top and bottom of those assemblies looks like a place where you could twist and remove the retaining clip. I tried that on a junkyard headlight and the clip broke, then again it's plastic and none of them are any newer than 1991.

Corner lamps were held in by bolts, IIRC. Check back up in this thread, there are some pictures with things removed, I just don't think there are are any detail shots. I do know that the headlights do need to be aimed before use.

Any advice on which tools I should take to the junkyard to get at the clips? I remember last time I went, I couldn't figure it out... maybe I just didn't have the right tool.

Assuming it's the same as on the Gen II (I think it is) - Snap ring pliers, needlenose pliers, and a big flat-blade screwdriver. You'll probably damage at least a few of the clips though.