Sign in to follow this  
Bull Geek

Disappointing To See On New In Box

I was happy to see I could still buy a brand new Motorcraft compressor off of RockAuto for the 2000 Dohc which is used on all v6 gen 3s and all 2000s.

It arrived today. I opened the main

Box and saw this. :(

C'mon Ford...I want nothing to do with a Chinese compressor

I think ill return it and get a Denso compressor - I figured the compressor would be North American made at least if from Ford

post-13-0-82106100-1379044694_thumb.jpg

That is extremely disappointing!!!!

Can't get away from the junk compressors!

That is extremely disappointing!!!!

Can't get away from the junk compressors!

I'm sure the compressor is fine.  I'm not sure I want to take the risk...that is the problem.   On this car, I do the job once.  I'm not having a rinse and repeat session of the 87s AC system fiasco.

It is designed, engineered, and recommended by Ford :lol:

Besides, can't be all that bad, China is where they build the transmissions for the Mustang :P

How much was it?

$190 and change on Rock Auto.  I placed an order for a Denso today.  I'll return the Motorcraft - I ain't putting Chinese crap on the car.

• Like 1

NICK YOU FINALLY HAVE A PIC OF YOU!!!! AS YOUR AVATAR!!! :D

• Like 3

Denso is good stuff. Iv'e dealt with them before. It's just hard to tell what you're getting when it comes to Nos or rebuilt compressors as most of us already know, especially you Nick!

It's a total crap shoot.

I"ll  take a look at the Motorcraft parts I have in inventory for the E-450 fleet of paratransit vans.

I've seen a lot from Mexico, but don't recall seeing anything from China, even the compressors.

We use Denso on some of the big buses, but even Denso makes some parts in Mexico.

Ha yessir - although I've had a haircut since that picture!!!

I would have expected a North American made compressor, but not so - even when its a brand new Ford unit (you'll note the date on the box is recent).  Oh well.  Also explains why the part number was revised.

Denso should arrive next week.

While taking inventory of my Ford/Motocraft parts today, I took note of these country of origin markings on some of the Motorcraft parts:

Disk Brake Hardware Kit  - China

Fuel Injection Throttle Body - Mexico

Oil Cooler - Canada

Ignition Switch - Japan

Power Steering Pump - Mexico

Brake Lining Kit - USA :usa:

Wheel Set - Mexico

Air Compressor - Portugal

Pretty darn sad....

You can see overtime between Gen 1s through 4s were the origin of stuff changed.

Gen 4s have stuff from New Zealand, the Phillipines, Mexico, Canada, USA, Germany, etc.

Globalization.

You can see overtime between Gen 1s through 4s were the origin of stuff changed.

Gen 4s have stuff from New Zealand, the Phillipines, Mexico, Canada, USA, Germany, etc.

Globalization.

Yeah, but no one complains about Hella products on the Bull lol.

• Like 1

For a lot of parts made in the USA or made in "where ever" really doesn't effect quality at all.  Complex components like that compressor are a bit different, and being made in China I would question its quality.

If you want an all American car, might as well go buy a 1950's Ford or General Motors product. :P

In the pile of Ford car radios that I've mostly liquidated now, there was a clear progression from "Made in Canada" to Mexico then to Brazil. (Plus the switch from "Ford Electronics and Refrigeration Corporation" to "Ford Aerospace and Communications Division".)

Probably Malaysia or thereabouts now.

My NOS digital instrument panel switch bar for the '87 has a "made in Canada" decal on the back.

Motorcraft spins/turns freely, but made in China.  Not installing on a DOHC considering the effort required, no Chinese crap for such a hard job.

So the brand new Denso arrived today.

Took cap off back - locked up solid.

Denso unit is Made in Korea.

Called RockAuto.  They got Denso "technician" on line.  He stated many things that were inaccurate about the compressor.  I finally got him to admit he didn't know what he was talking about.  His details weren't matching the compressor I had ordered, and I had a Motorcraft right next to it.  He then finally admited that Denso didn't actually make the compressor!!!  They outsourced it.  And he didn't have any application specific notes/details.

$%^&*(*&^%^&*(UY

Can't I have a NAFTA made compressor that isn't a complete POS?

So Gen 3 and 2000 owners with V6 engine (not V8 SHO).  The Denso unit is not made by Denso, and it is made in Korea.  ALways unplug compressor and turn it to make sure it's not locked up.

Good think you can still get Motorcraft compressor for 2001+ cars and iirc, it's made in North America.

What other equivalents will work for you in this case, besides a 2000 Taurus Duratec? Or is that the only application for this apparent unobtainium compressor?

Nick,

Send your compressor to be rebuilt here in the United States. I believe Classic Auto Air out of Texas could do the job for you. Classic car guys with unobtanium compressors use these guys to remanufacture what they already have. At leadt then you know what you have....

Jeff

Brian - any 1996-2000 Taurus/Sable with a V6 engine (OHV or DOHC) use the same compressor.  The V8SHO uses a Sanden manufactured for use on FWD car, so won't work

Jeff - If my old one was good, I would, but it ground the snout down, so can't reuse it :\

If I ever find a uber low mileage compresser at the yard, Motorcraft, I'll grab for use if it's in good shape.

I think he also might have meant getting the new Chinese Motorcraft unit rebuilt if you have reservations about it.

s**t, you can't win with A/C... Nick.... :ph34r:

Maybe you aren't meant to use A/C :P

I would hate my life if my A/C went out on my 95... Because it's the sweetest A/C I've ever used. Better than my 05's was. Coldest A/C in the world. I love it :wub: