Vash

Junkyard Finds

Back on topic, I found some real beauties today in Oshkosh. Several gen 2s, lots of gen 3s and 4s and one lonely gen 1 that was completely intact. Everything except the hood and wheels was there.

1990 Taurus Sedan, must have been a base model based on the interior.

IMG_0559_zps7c436eed.jpgIMG_0560_zps945ff5c3.jpg

Gen 2 interior with the combo leather/cloth seating.

IMG_0562_zps4c7f3631.jpg

Gen 2 SHO, 3.0L with manual trans.

IMG_0564_zpsbc390cd5.jpgIMG_0565_zpsa176c375.jpg

Black interior!!!

The Gen 2 SHO also had some sort of gold trim package, all the badges were outlined with gold, the Ford logos and the (DOHC 24V) emblems had gold instead of silver trim.

w8. Was one of those a 92? I need a 92 style dash cluster trim so I can use the older Clock. But with fog/wiper cutout.

I'm sure one of the was, there was at least a dozen gen 2s. With my schedule I won't be able to get back down there for a while.

Found a '92 Taurus L at U-Pull last weekend, complete with manual locks/windows...

post-45-0-88313200-1414379364_thumb.jpg

And a trunk/fuel door release delete, which I don't think I've seen before.

post-45-0-24209100-1414379416_thumb.jpg

Also found a '91 Sable there, and this caught my eye:

post-45-0-67658400-1414379524_thumb.jpg

The zero peg is still there... so what do you suppose killed that one? ;)

And I might as well mention this... I went because they had a recently-arrived '89 Marquis, but they also had an '85 LTD listed, but didn't note which. Turned out to be the wrong kind of LTD.

post-45-0-35426600-1414379716_thumb.jpg

Pretty rusty but looked to have been decently cared for otherwise. These cars have an odd allure to them for some reason. (And no, it's not the Essex.)

And I might as well mention this... I went because they had a recently-arrived '89 Marquis, but they also had an '85 LTD listed, but didn't note which. Turned out to be the wrong kind of LTD.

attachicon.gif1018141250.jpg

Pretty rusty but looked to have been decently cared for otherwise. These cars have an odd allure to them for some reason. (And no, it's not the Essex.)

It's the Fox platform calling. I personally feel they were underrated, but, that's my bit.

I wouldn't mind to find a LTD LX (the ones that came with the 302 **). It really can look like the car no one was expecting to be quick, but many have called them the four door Mustangs.

3245570016_large.jpg

Also, you can give them an identity crisis:

wdc_07_DSC_8093.jpg

That Fox wagon is pure badass.

There is a light blue Fairmont wagon sitting on ramps under a carport in town. Perfect body. It has never moved during the 12 years I've lived here. I WANT IT!!! Needs moar 5.0. Ultimate sleeper.

Found some real gems today.  In fact the selection at the junkyard in GB was the best I have ever seen.  There were tons of rarer vehicles there, multiple Excursions, Lincoln Aviators, Gen 3 Explorers (of course because I sold mine), and two U222 Expeditions (I've never seen those in a Pick and Pull before).  There was even a new +2012 Escape, the front half had already been cut clean.  There was multiple Ford 500's and good selection of Gen 4s, only a few Gens 3s and 1 gen 2 wagon with a vulcan.

1991 Taurus SHO

IMG_0845_zpsezcj6svl.jpg

IMG_0844_zpsif4sqkvm.jpg

Entire powertrain appeared to be present and was marked "OK" on the windshield.

IMG_0843_zps74pnslil.jpg

IMG_0847_zps97cl58nx.jpg

2 T-birds. A 4.6L and a base 3.8L.

IMG_0848_zpsxaic6jh9.jpg

The "cream" 95 had a pretty clean interior.  The black 3.8L model had a red interior.

IMG_0849_zps8opxhlsu.jpg

The odd ball 7 lug F150 too.

IMG_0842_zpsuwfpy18s.jpg

Well, that gen Expy is twelve years old in some cases, plenty of depreciation for XLT and fleet models to have ended up in the JY by now.

Still though, I haven't seen any of them, nor Five Hundreds. Never seen a SHO either.

Sam saw a 2013 Escape in the JY the other day, complete total with at least a serious passenger injury from the biohazard stickers. He said if it hadn't had the badge he couldn't have seen the model.

The U222 Expeditions are far more reliable than their little brother which I always see lots of in junk yards. With the exception of the 5.4L problems, the Expedition is a very solid vehicle.

Also a tank. My parents hit a deer in theirs and by and large the damage was modest.

I wouldn't own one personally though, I don't like the driving dynamics.

Drive a Tahoe or any large SUV with a solid rear axle and then drive the Expedition. It will seem like a sports car, the IRS makes a huge difference.

I've done both lol. For me, the electronic throttle is too touchy, and it feels too closed in (yeah, new vehicle blues, it does have curtain airbags).

Can't deny the bold and innovative design of the U222 and the U152 seen below.  It would have taken GM a decade to develop that design, probably why they still use a live axle.

IMG_1347.jpg

Was at the junkyard the other day. Found this '95 CV:

5ZUCLH2.jpg

I had approached from the back and noticed the airbags had gone off. Then I came around to the front. Wonder what it hit to bend the frame up and away. Based on the lack of damage elsewhere, it looked like whatever accident it was in could have fairly survivable.

The only thing that could do that is another Panther. :P

Outside of the typical junkyard cars, I did find this Town Car that took a pretty hard offset collision.

v48hLMg.jpg?1

jg66LUo.jpg

It would not have been fun trying to get out of this wreck. The driver's door was jammed shut and someone had pried open the passenger's door. It was in similar shape to that of the driver's. I didn't go crawling through it as I noticed there was some blood on the passenger's air bag.

It I noticed there was some blood on the passenger's air bag.

Can we start calling those "Takata marks"? :ph34r: 

• Like 3

At the local JY this morning, I found a Gen 2 wagon with gray interior... and the 3rd row jump seat with lap belts are present. :ph34r:

At the local JY this morning, I found a Gen 2 wagon with gray interior... and the 3rd row jump seat with lap belts are present. :ph34r:

I bet they aren't present any more.  :ph34r:

• Like 1

I bet they aren't present any more.  :ph34r:

They are present. In a newer wagon. B)

• Like 2

At the local JY this week:

96 Taurus LX, Rose Mist, supplied the driver airbag for Barney as well as the passenger sun-visor.

2001 Taurus SEL Wagon, AZ Beige, Sunroof, bottom of a 2 car stack (focus on top of it)

2002 Chrysler 300M Special Pro-Am Edition, supplied the auto-dim rear view mirror for Barney.

Today's, Lin leather shifter, flag slider not broken, working bulbs, spare screws.

Took some walking.

Used my gripper plastic and pliers to pull bulbs, got 3 2 good. Rest easy to remove except one really tight screw on the Lin shifter.

-chart-