Vash

Junkyard Finds

Whenever I have seen the old DSM and Chrysler turbo cars, that bulge seemed to be for accommodating the turbo- or intercooler-related intake plumbing.

Whenever I have seen the old DSM and Chrysler turbo cars, that bulge seemed to be for accommodating the turbo- or intercooler-related intake plumbing.

On the DSMs the bulge was to accommodate the cam sprockets on the later engines, an option on early models, later standard across all trims (cheaper to build one hood). On the K cars, the bulge was a trim option, or standard on the bigger engines.

My buddy bought a brand new base Eclipse in '92 with the smaller 1.8L engine and power bulge hood option. No power steering, didn't really need it. Fun car, just not very quick.

post-3-0-83956800-1405272553_thumb.jpg

post-3-0-24538100-1405272583_thumb.jpg

These three cars yielded some useful junkyard goodies today. :ph34r:

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

These three cars yielded some useful junkyard goodies today. :ph34r:

I see a plastic SHO hood.....

Do you also see the custom FSTB we found on it? No? Oh, my mistake. I took it out. :ph34r:

Here is the result of three separate trips that Kevin and I have made to this local junkyard since the 4th of July...

287EE7B4-651A-4526-8705-3D6E368ADC48_zps

I nabbed an unused and undamaged emergency wallet card/key.

F6FA36D5-460B-41A1-B3E8-6E18B967E6DB_zps

This car gave up the components that I will need to install a complete factory remote keyless entry system on Scarlett- including lighted keyholes and a driver's door keypad. :ph34r:

0215CB71-4004-4F68-9C15-9DCF47120992_zps

3F8D1E16-0F20-44E4-A021-E97C80FC4520_zps

4EEC77DC-2F37-49D8-9F06-75B83A370566_zps

An ultra-rare '91 LX sedan equipped with the InstaClear heated windshield, which was the final model year offering that option.

65DBEF6C-DCAB-4A18-A209-6CAB200A9E2F_zps

1A7E7C0A-51B6-4976-A6EC-EB21B2470C97_zps

And a Gen 1-2 compatible FSTB that I have never seen before with this design, nor has a long time member of SHO Club (and owner of multiple modified Gen 2 SHO's) who happens to live nearby. 

818C0A4D-1BCB-4E6A-A121-94D6315C0A93_zps

219C8BD9-934B-436C-8F68-9D49F60E0F68_zps

Startup of that SHO :(

That poor girl, I want the engine/trans so bad, it's $800, but.... s**t I can't afford to do that right now :(

Found what may be the "Holy Grail" of Gen IV parts today - an undamaged rear cupholder assembly that not only wasn't too dirty to touch, but the cupholders stayed in place when you closed them.  :blink:  Out of countless ones I've checked, this is the first one that was worth pulling. Nearly all are broken in some way and the scant few that aren't are so disgusting you'd want to autoclave them.

You talking about the twin cupholders in the rear of a Gen IV flip/fold console?

Correct.

I've never seen a 91 LX decked out like that one before.  Let me guess…passenger seat is lumbar only.  Interesting car.  Wonder if that FSTB is from a Continental? 

No clue, it was in the SHO I started up.

The bar is from a GM W body. (Grand Prix, etc)

Went to our local, returned my hood core for $2. Good exercise to carry that from the parking area to the desk. Their guy took it out the door to the pile.

Noted. Very few cars in the intake parking, none new to the lot since July 8. Maybe just seasonal.

Big pile outgoing to the crusher.

They had plenty of customers.

-chart-

Found the extremely unusual analog Town Car cluster from a '92. I've only seen one other example at the same yard last year. All the others had the standard electronic package.

a3dae2.jpg

One thing I didn't take a picture of would be the set of 4 turbine wheels from a Grand Marquis and Town Car I've jammed into the trunk of a Fox LTD. I took the keys with me, just because I'm not sure if I'm going to go with it.

BTW, this type of wheel:

IMG00085-20100216-1211.jpg

I'm going to contemplate about getting them. I took a rag to one and they will clean up, they look like the one in the photo, except they don't have the center cap, but those can be easily found on eBay.

I've always liked those turbine wheels.

• Like 1

90-92 Towns could be had with a regular cluster.  I have a friend who has one.  Cheapo executive series.  Try with CLOTH seats too.

I saw that foxbody LTD.  Nice car.  And those turbines would look good on the 87 Col Park...

90-92 Towns could be had with a regular cluster.  I have a friend who has one.  Cheapo executive series.  Try with CLOTH seats too.

I saw that foxbody LTD.  Nice car.  And those turbines would look good on the 87 Col Park*...

The analog cluster is just so odd for them. Given the fact is is just a "busier" looking '90-'91 LTD/'92-'94 GM cluster doesn't help much in making it more different. I do like the 'Odometer' and 'Trip' markings, but besides that it's still just a lack lusterly jazzed up 85 MPH cluster. If it was a one off style with 140 markings, I'd be on it, but it isn't, so I won't.

Did you also see the beige '82 Mercury Lynx? It almost seems too good to be there.

*Also, TBH, that's what I was thinking. I just haven't mentioned much to my mom yet, but she knows I still want it. I'll talk to her a bit more about it this weekend. It's been a hill I need to climb, just need a good time.

That speedo isn't high enough for the "thing" were doing next year.....

1994 Lincoln Continental with floor shift console. The arm rest looks just like Taurus parts, the center stack has 6 lighted cassette holders. I almost thought it was a 6 cassette changer but there's no way. Never seen anything like it before.

Closed.

94contcon_zpsa291847a.jpg

Open.

94contconopen_zps8b245968.jpg

• Like 1

... ah, the '90's. :P

On the other end of the rectum, an Gen1 Explorer with factory 10 disc changer in the console.

Explo10_zpsfe69e5e0.jpg

On the other end of the rectum, an Gen1 Explorer with factory 10 disc changer in the console.

Wow. Talk about a broad rectum.

• Like 1

Purple Power!

The junking of a Rosemist Sable

IMG_3037.jpg

IMG_3038.jpg

IMG_3039.jpg

IMG_3040.jpg

I like this design.

On to the Town Car, a 1995 Town Car to be exact:

IMG_3043.jpg

Standard ol' Arm Rest, eh?

IMG_3042.jpg

w8, it opened.. What's that?

IMG_3041.jpg

Sh Sh Shaah!

What an annoying location, who would answer the phone in an arm rest and flip it over while driving? An idiot.

IMG_3044.jpg

Because you have this.

Then there's this cute lil' thing:

IMG_3046.jpg

A convertible Mercury Mustang :lol:

IMG_3047.jpg

IMG_3048.jpg

Does that say... Cobra? :ph34r:

(Okay, maybe it says Capri, but close enough, eh?)

IMG_3049.jpg

IMG_3050.jpg

And of course, the massive power plant:

IMG_3045.jpg

That's a hell of a car I've never seen one in person. Was shocked by the steering wheel when I walked past it.

I should be going to the yard on Friday, I'll get some pictures of the oddities.

Think I'm going to go get the turbines while I'm there. :ph34r:

7cb91d.jpg

• Like 1