Duke Of Dirge

The Best Rear Quick Struts? Buying Off Amazon

I been looking for the longest lasting priced good quick srtuts. I've found to brands i like monroe and moog right now there on sale on Amazon.com I know the monroe econ-struts are not good but there top line the sensa track I hear are good (part number 171616). Those are the ones i'm leaning on right now. On the other hand Moog has thier top line for 62% off but it sounds too good to be true.

was going to perchase tomorrow. if anybody has intell on what to buy and what not to buy I'd like to know. thanks

monroe link : http://www.amazon.com/Monroe-171616-Quick-Strut-Complete-Assembly/dp/B000C53Q2W/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_nC?ie=UTF8&colid=H8WTVU0RBGMG&coliid=I3LQOPPA4H1ZTR

Moog link: http://www.amazon.com/Moog-ST8527-Complete-Assembly-Mounting/dp/B00CHFMT8W/ref=au_pf_ss_9?ie=UTF8&Make=Ford%7C54&Model=Taurus%7C697&Year=2001%7C2001&carId=004&n=15684181&s=automotive

I would recommend buying Motorcraft or Monroe struts (not the assemblies) and then buying the MOOG cargo coils: http://www.amazon.com/Moog-CC859-Variable-Rate-Spring/dp/B000C59UXG

The keep the rear up and prevent SAS down the road. Lots of people have done this and I plan on doing it when I replace my suspension. 

Wouldn't that moog set be just as good? Their website dosent list assemblies for the rear. Why don't you recommend assemblies?

http://www.moog-suspension-parts.com/products.asp?cat=16360

I would personally buy new Motorcraft 2000-2003 struts, Moog CC859 springs, and a strut mount kit from some maker for the rear and assembly that.

Factory springs and replacement FoMoCo springs do a less than fantastic job of holding the car up in the air as they age.  This then kills the struts from having to work overtime.

Wouldn't that moog set be just as good? 

Not necessarily... The cargo coils are variable rate, meaning the more weight that is added to the load in the car, the stiffer the suspension becomes (as opposed to the stock constant rate springs - same resistance, no matter the load in the car). This means that the more people, luggage, etc. you have in the car, it will ride higher and stiffer (but not too much stiffer) than stock. 

defiantly very informitive. now the amazon part finder is say that those MOOG cargo coils will not fit my car (2001 ford taurus SE). I shot over to the Moog site as well put my car in there system and the didnt appear either. But I will ask would there be a problem?

Edited by Duke Of Dirge

No. Those are Gen 2 rear cargo springs that will also fit directly on Gen 3-4 cars (as already proven by many of us in this club), the manufacturer just doesn't officially acknowledge that.

No. Those are Gen 2 rear cargo springs that will also fit directly on Gen 3-4 cars (as already proven by many of us in this club), the manufacturer just doesn't officially acknowledge that.

Also remember that Amazon was first, and still primarily is, a bookstore. ;)

that's what i thought I'm just that guy that needs to make sure then double check then make sure again.

that's why i'm checking first and why I also check the Moog site. Amazon is doing ok with the automotive section but they've cluster F before 

This is good to know i'll be ordering the parts later thanks for the help   :notworthy:

Also remember that Amazon was first, and still primarily is, a bookstore. ;)

I was going to buy a loaded front strut which RockAuto did not stock from Amazon, price OK but shipping was way out of line. I was not going to sign up for all that special thing to get free shipping. If it ever would be "free".

I got it from Autoparts Warehouse, price OK, shipping OK.

No hidden crap like Amazon.

-chart-

I was going to buy a loaded front strut which RockAuto did not stock from Amazon, price OK but shipping was way out of line. I was not going to sign up for all that special thing to get free shipping. If it ever would be "free".

I got it from Autoparts Warehouse, price OK, shipping OK.

No hidden crap like Amazon.

-chart-

Really ? they just gave me free shipping and handling on perchase over 30$ I just spent about 250$ so everything I ordered is be shipped free.

The free shipping over a certain price is only for what Amazon sells itself, it doesn't apply to other vendors on the site as far as I know.

Correct. I have an Amazon Prime account and free shipping applies to every order made except third-party sellers. Nothing is "hidden" about their policies unless you don't bother to read.

I've never ever ever had a problem with Amazon.

I have prime, but even before I did they offered free shipping over $x.xx.

I LOVE prime. I use the heck out of it. I order about everything I can on amazon unless its a ton cheaper somewhere else. I always check rock auto and amazon for car parts and choose amazon if they cost less with the free shipping.... I mean it's 2 day shipping and only $4 per item for 1 day shipping!

I had a problem with an HDMI cable they sold me and they sent me a new one for free. No need to return the old one.

Great customer service, no problems, nothing hidden, period. Love Amazon.

Anyways I agree with the rest of them on the cargo coils.

All that matters in the end is I saved a s**tload of money switching to amazon. 

Edited by Duke Of Dirge
  • Like 1

Cargo coils will add maybe 1/2 inch to the factory ride height, but they hold up much better under loading.

It's been a Year since I put my quick struts in and I ended up replacing the springs that the Monroe's  came with for the Moog CC859 springs just about a month ago. I have to say they are pretty amazing. I can have people sitting in the back of my car without it bottoming out it has also improved the over all ride of my Taurus and I get less kick back when accelerating  I defiantly regret not putting them in sooner.

• Like 1

I went with a complete moog setup. With a sheet and a half of 3/4" MDF housing a 35 lb 15" sub behind the rear axle, and a 90lb battery on top of the axle, two kids in the back seat, wife in the front seat, it still handles and rides better than factory. I'm very happy with my setup.