Sign in to follow this  
breeves002

Creaking When Applying Brakes

So I've been battling this for a few weeks now and finally got the chance to attempt to fix it last night.

Here's whats going on:

Front suspension/brakes make a groaning or creaking noise when applying and releasing the brakes. It will ONLY happen with the gear selector in drive with the parking brake OFF/RELEASED. It won't happen in park or when the parking brake is applied.

Here is what I've done to attempt to remedy the situation:

-Grease front AND rear slide pins with silicon brake grease.

-Grease backs of pads with silicon brake grease where the contact the caliper piston/back of caliper

-Apply to sides of pads where they slide in the caliper with a tiny bit of anti-seize

-Spray rear suspension bushings with silicon spray (resolved my creaking when lowering the car off the jack which I assume to be the sway bar).

Who's got some ideas? I haven't sprayed front suspension components with the grease, but I'm not sure what in the hell would cause the creaking only when in drive with the parking brake off.

When I simulate the noise its when I'm stopped and I release the brake just enough to simulate the noise. I may not even move or move just a TINY bit. Notice how I'm not moving at all in the video. It's only that loud because I'm next to a wall.

Edited by breeves002

Pretty sure that's normal...at least, I've heard that on several different cars.

But we may be thinking of different noises. Sound will help.

No idea. Probably cable. Yes when I press the pedal it happens. BUT it ONLY happens when in drive with the parking brake off. In park or in drive with parking brake on nothing happens.

That's because in Park there's nothing being transmitted to the axles, and with the PB on the brakes are already applied.

Rear brakes only with the parking brake on. Front brakes aren't applied until I press the pedal. You know that!

So what's the answer then? What would creak only when in drive...?

Because there is engine power going to the CV axles, and the car is struggling to move forward?

I've had brakes creak before. Not quite like that, but even phone mics can change things. My truck creaked, and so does Holly, IIRC.

Sounds pretty accurate in the video as it does to my ear.

It isn't normal. Just started doing it maybe a month ago. Lee says it isn't normal.

If I just release the brakes enough for the car to start rolling it stops. It only happens with the action of applying and releasing the pedal.

My best guess is it is the caliper.

Either the piston is warped and needs to be replaced, or it has a lack of grease or something. Needs to be re-greased or replaced.

I'll have Ford replace it. Just don't want to go in and have them tell me it's not covered and make me pay the damn diagnosis.

Maybe I'll spray some silicon lube around the boots. Just a huge pain in the ass to pull it off again since I did it the other day already lol.

Edited by breeves002

OK Sam, you need a problem to fix.

This is not one.

Take the pads off, lightly sand the pad face, wash, dry put them back and it will go away.

For a short time. Some effort, no reward.

When the pads make contact with the disc under low load, or release under low load, they sometimes make a groan.

If in "N" there is no load, only when in gear where there is some low force to move the disc a tiny bit.

May depend on weather or other factors.

I heard my Lin do that the other day. Just one time.

And I get this one time squeek of the morning on the first application at the end of my drive.

Then not the next time.

Have a nice holiday weekend.

-chart-

• Like 1

Well maybe it isn't anything to worry about. Just doesn't seem normal. It's loud and obnoxious!

I'll sand a tad off and see if it stops.

So... what if it continues to creak when the parking brake is applied/car is in park/neutral? Doesn't usually do it this way but it got really bad the other day and it would happen without the car in drive!

Okay. The noise is getting worse. I'm going to take it to NTB and have them tell me what the problem is for a whopping $18... If it turns out to be the caliper then I'm going to Ford for a free replacement!

It's getting louder! It happens ALL THE TIME. If I'm moving slow enough to hear it, it will happen when I apply the brakes and release them. I can have the car in park with the parking brake on and the noise still happens. Go from full on to full off and it creaks the entire way.

I just don't see how this could be anything other than the caliper..

Maybe a good idea to try to compress the caliper to see if one of the pistons is stuck?

Here's the beautiful thing:

IMG_0618_zps423272a4.jpg

You do realize the Gen 6 SHO has the same exact front CV axles? Same with all Gen 6 models and the Flex/FlexEB.

Edited by breeves002

Flex EB....Flex Eldorado Brougham(bro-ham)?!?!? lol jk

Hahaha, funny. That's a bit old school for the Ford Flex.

No one has any ideas or input on the actual problem?!

Edited by breeves002

Hahaha, funny. That's a bit old school for the Ford Flex.

No one has any ideas or input on the actual problem?!

OK assume it is the front brakes.

Parking bk on and the fronts do not do anything but grip, on work done holding the car.

If PK is off, the fronts now hold against the torque of the power train, thus some movement of the pads in their yokes.

Might have someone else do this and see if it is one side or both.

Check the pads for smooth surface where the contact the yoke.

-chart-

I pulled the drivers side wheel off and lubed up the clips on both sides with silicon brake grease and re-did the anti-seize on the sides of the pads where they slide int he caliper.

Put the caliper back on and hit the brake with the car off. SQUEAKY SQUEAKY!

So I had a friend come down and hit the brake pedal for me. He did and I listened to where it was squeaking. I put my ear against the caliper and could hear that it was louder on the bottom half of the caliper rather than the top half. So then I assumed it was the bottom piston.

I removed both caliper bolts and pulled the top off but left the bottom half way on. I just rocked it back and forth and could see the lower piston moving in and back out a tiny bit. SQUEAK SQUEAK!

Confused I kept doing this trying to figure out if the source of the sound was the piston or the pads pushing against the rotor....

Before I could figure it out it completely stopped. I put it back on and hit the brakes...no more squeak...Drove around the block... no more squeak...........

I bet it comes back very soon (maybe even tonight), but I think this means its one of the pistons on the caliper.