Vash

99 Airbags In A 97?

Alright guys 2 parts here, I have a 97 Sable with blown airbags and looking for some info.

1. I'm curious if you guys know how much of the system has to be replaced? (sensors, modules?)

2. I am buying a 99 Sable parts car tomorrow, this car is complete for the airbag system.

Now, I know the 97 is single stage 1st gen system and the 99 is dual/multi stage 2nd gen system.

Are these parts interchangeable?

If I can't use the parts then I guess I am making a trip to the junkyard..

May have just answered my own question.. or at least the second part. Junkyard interchange shows 96-97 only on airbags.

Yup can't use 98-99 in a 96-7. Connectors changed. And like you said, went from one stage to two stage.

I've got both the driver and passenger airbags out of my 97 in storage collecting dust

Shame you can't ship these legally except with a service like ups hazmat.

(people ship them usps all the time but that's prohibited).

Just put them in an anti static bag, and if they ask, "Oh just some random car parts." :P

Yeah I will just head to U Pull one of these days...

So do I also need to replace the computer/module? Some junkyards list computer and bags as a package deal..

nevermind, finding a Computer too.

Shouldn't need to replace the airbag computer. Sensors up front in the bumpers can sometimes go bad though after an impact. (that's if you're speaking of just putting new 97 airbags in a 97 year car.).

My 97 was in a bad frontend collision before I got it and all I did was replace the front sensors since the brackets were mangled and replaced the bags and good to go.

Hmm maybe it was just because the only info I could find was on a newer car. I would just hate to drive almost 2 hours each way to U Pull to find out I need something I didn't get..

I like to take the airbag connector off and place the bag facing up on the ground. The I strip back the wires from the connector and sit on the airbag.

A little rub with a nine volt battery and viola'! it helps me climb trees! :nuclear:

• Like 2

Ow! Butt Cheek Burn!!!!