Brake Light Came On While Driving

I know on my dad's Ranger, when it's coming near time to replace the front pads, because there is more fluid in the front calipers, the reservoir level goes down, and the light comes on when pressing the brakes.

But... In your case, You probably popped a brake line. Does your pedal go down to the floor easier?

I was in a bit of a panic when i originally posted. I use more pressure then usual to come to a complete, but not pedal to the floor. I had new drums/ pads beginning of 2012.

Where do i check brake fluid and how easy it to add - whats the color? Just go to autozone and pour? If brake line popped wouldn't it be dragging on the ground?

Best way i can describe pressure loss is like this: You have the muscle memory of how mush pressure you apply to bring the car to a complete stop, now when i apply that pressure the car is at a crawl.

Light is still on.

If you have a popped line, it'd be rusted though, or if rubber hose, it'd be ripped. But for the light to be on, you lost fluid somewhere... Brakes operate on a channel, and 1 channel operates 2 wheels, and the other channel operates the other two. That way you have some emergency supply. Generally the pedal is easier to push but braking distance isn't that great.

If you have a popped line, it'd be rusted though, or if rubber hose, it'd be ripped. But for the light to be on, you lost fluid somewhere... Brakes operate on a channel, and 1 channel operates 2 wheels, and the other channel operates the other two. That way you have some emergency supply. Generally the pedal is easier to push but braking distance isn't that great.

Good point, and I might add.

Bk fluid resivor is in two parts, so if one is lost, the other still has some fluid and you have two wheel brakes. This is common since at least the 1960's.

Taurus has always been one front one rear diagonal for channel one and the opposite for channel 2. Loose one to fluid leak and you have weak brakes but better than none. If you loose all the fluid to a leak in one channel, no point in adding it back. It now has air in it and it will not work even with more fluid added.

Have to fix the leak, then bleed the air out.

When fluid leaks, it leaves a trail. Common at 10 years is wheel cylinder in rear drums. 2 years ago my '03 was just starting to leak in the wheel cylinders on my inspection, but not enough to ruin the shoes. Once they start to leak, the leak grows and grows. New wheel cylinders from rockauto were ~$5 per. Cheap fix.

-chart-